Cleaning Vinyl LPs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since I've recently gotten WAY more in to vinyl records, 7", 10" and 12", I've realized the importance of cleaning records and proper storage.
For new records, I generally brush with carbon fiber and/or velvet.
For used records, if dirty, I think a wet or ultrasonic solution is wise.
I'm building a vinyl record wet vac! Using an old TT, a small Shop Vac and some customized fittings. Brush, wet, vac, let dry, store properly!
I'm undecided on the kind of fluid I want to use, but I'll likely make a DIY large batch.

I also have a carbon fiber brush for my styluses...

What does everyone else do?!

(Mods, please move to best forum, if this isn't it. TIA.)

Been gluing a few staticky old records this weekend. Amazing how well it works! Time consuming, yes. Must let completely cure for about 24 hours.

Results: Crystal clear, virtually noise free.☺

glueclean-aleenes.jpg

Well dammit... I was using my Mobile Fidelity Record Cleaning brush supposedly OK to use wet, washing some old grunge off an LP and the pad is oozing adhesive! It got on the record and in the groove. That's not good. Alcohol won't cut it. Don't know what to use to get it off the record and out of the groove, other than some naphtha aka lighter fluid. I'll probably try that but may be too harsh. Got to find another cleaning tool that doesn't have adhesive holding the pad to the handle. I doubt Aleen's or Elmer's will lift it out and off the surface either since they are water based. :mad:

Well dammit... I was using my Mobile Fidelity Record Cleaning brush supposedly OK to use wet, washing some old grunge off an LP and the pad is oozing adhesive! It got on the record and in the groove. That's not good. Alcohol won't cut it. Don't know what to use to get it off the record and out of the groove, other than some naphtha aka lighter fluid. I'll probably try that but may be too harsh. Got to find another cleaning tool that doesn't have adhesive holding the pad to the handle. I doubt Aleen's or Elmer's will lift it out and off the surface either since they are water based. :mad:
Some glue can be loosened with a veg. Oil like Olive or Avocado, but test it first

Within the last few months I was ripping several LP's to my PC so I could share them with a friend. These were discs I inherited & coming from an audiophile friend were generally in pretty good shape.

One of them had visibly noticeable smudges & smears on the surface, both sides. I've yet to invest in a proper record cleaner. I usually just use a carbon fiber brush & maybe carefully blow off with some canned air. This wasn't going to cut it in this case.

So in desperation I was inspired to use Windex, yes, Windex and a micro-fiber cloth. This was not the wimpy clean your glasses cloth but the larger type I bought at an auto parts store.

It worked great! I held the LP in one hand, spritzed the disc, put it on the TT & cleaned up with the cloth. Rolled it up & used it Discwasher style. Really, micro-fiber cloths are miracle workers getting up streaks on glass for example where anything else just pushes it around.

I'm not sure what repeated cleanings would to to the vinyl. But in a pinch it worked great & sounded like new when played. If you ever wondered what's in the current Windex formula, here ya go:

https://www.whatsinsidescjohnson.com/us/en/brands/windex/windex-original-glass-cleaner

Well nothing would budge that adhesive until I got out the lighter fluid applied the fluid with a Q-tip and dissolved it, then absorbed that into a piece of Bounty paper towel before it dried. Did that a couple of times to make sure and couldn't see any trace of it. Gone, and clean, no noise in that spot when it plays. No harm to the vinyl. Was right in a quiet passage just before a big cresendo of my old "From Russia With Love" soundtrack LP that I hadn't played in over 50 years. Done got lucky this time.

I'd like to get a brush for wet cleaning similar to the Pro-ject record cleaning machine brush PRVCSBR shown in the video to replace the MF brush that deposited adhesive on my record. Don't want to spend $40 on one though which seems way overpriced. It's goats hair. Lots of goats around, it's made of nothing rare. Any suggestions?

You have to watch what you use, or you can harm the record.

- Do not use anything that is a solvent of vinyl or other plastics.
- Some records are not vinyl. They may be harmed by solvents that don't hurt vinyl.
- Cheaper records and many 45s are made of filled vinylite.
- Some 45s and children's records are made of polystyrene.
- Most 78s are made of shellac.
- Soundsheets and home recordings are made of cellulose acetate.
- Many 78s made during World War II are made of whatever they could get that worked.

- Isopropanol in a 50% solution distilled water is probably the safest solvent.
- Do not use ethanol on filled vinylite, polystyrene, acetate, or shellac.
- Oils can ruin shellac and wartime substitute materials.
- Ammonia can ruin acetate and substitute materials.

I'd like to get a brush for wet cleaning similar to the Pro-ject record cleaning machine brush PRVCSBR shown in the video to replace the MF brush that deposited adhesive on my record. Don't want to spend $40 on one though which seems way overpriced. It's goats hair. Lots of goats around, it's made of nothing rare. Any suggestions?
I use artist brushes. They are usually inert enough to stand paint remover. You can buy several shapes and sizes. I cut the handle shorter for more control.

You have to watch what you use, or you can harm the record.

- Do not use anything that is a solvent of vinyl or other plastics.
- Some records are not vinyl. They may be harmed by solvents that don't hurt vinyl.
- Cheaper records and many 45s are made of filled vinylite.
- Some 45s and children's records are made of polystyrene.
- Most 78s are made of shellac.
- Soundsheets and home recordings are made of cellulose acetate.
- Many 78s made during World War II are made of whatever they could get that worked.

- Isopropanol in a 50% solution distilled water is probably the safest solvent.
- Do not use ethanol on filled vinylite, polystyrene, acetate, or shellac.
- Oils can ruin shellac and wartime substitute materials.
- Ammonia can ruin acetate and substitute materials.
Oh darn! You mean I can't use methyl ethyl ketone or acetone on my records? (just kidding)

Well nothing would budge that adhesive until I got out the lighter fluid applied the fluid with a Q-tip and dissolved it, then absorbed that into a piece of Bounty paper towel before it dried. Did that a couple of times to make sure and couldn't see any trace of it. Gone, and clean, no noise in that spot when it plays. No harm to the vinyl. Was right in a quiet passage just before a big cresendo of my old "From Russia With Love" soundtrack LP that I hadn't played in over 50 years. Done got lucky this time.
Well, obviously you solved your issue, but I'll still leave this here: GrooveWasher Microfiber Fabric Covered Cleaning Pad (3-Pack)

Recently had good luck using one to get a fingerprint from hell on steroids out of an old record. I don't know what the original owner had on their hands 60 years ago...

Also just got the cheapest ultrasonic cleaner I've ever seen: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07L3G9TBS. Don't know how it stacks up against others, but after a few batches the water is sure murky. The records usually still sound like records to me, but after decades of digital, all I ever hear from records is their shortcomings. Granted, it's a rare day that I play anything from less than 40 years ago...

atrocity: just distilled water or some sort of cleaning fluid in the ultrasonic cleaner?
I started out just using a few capfuls of SpinClean fluid in distilled water, which seemed to work OK, but then I got a bottle of GrooveWasher G-Sonic which definitely makes the water "cling" to the records much more forcefully while they're rotating. But I don't know if that results in a genuinely meaningful difference in the end. The visual difference comes about with only 10 drops of G-Sonic per gallon of distilled water, so whatever is in it apparently pretty potent.

Other people swear by their homemade concoctions, but I don't have the ambition.

The records definitely LOOK clean afterward (unlike the water!) and I did do a before and after recording test early on that absolutely demonstrated an audible difference, but I have yet to have anything come out of that machine sounding anything like a CD.

But I almost never play vinyl unless I'm digitizing it and any time I'm doing that I'm wearing headphones and listening closely, so I'm going to be hyper-judgmental about it. 99.99% of what I digitize ALWAYS needs a pass or two through ClickRepair before I'm happy (or as close to happy as possible) with it.

It's so rare that I need to deep clean a record it would be hard to justify the cost and space for an ultrasonic cleaner. Usually just an occasional used record I pick up would need that kind of treatment. My cleaning procedure I've done for years normally does a great job on those. That's until the Mobile Fidelity wet/dry cleaning pad starts oozing adhesive. I'm not even going to bother spending $9 on a pair of new pads for that thing. The vast majority of the records I have I bought new or obtained in mint or new condition and they rarely need any more than a good dusting off with an old style Discwasher brush with the directional pile.

And to catch the occasional click or pop I play records through my SAE-5000A Impulse Noise Reduction System and my Phase Linear 1000 Series Two Autocorrelator noise reduction and active rumble filter unit. The analog real time "ClickRepair" plus noise reduction. These two units together work wonders. I rarely use the expander section of the Phase Linear which is there to help restore the dynamic range lost when recordings are mastered to vinyl.

sae500a-phase1000-2.jpg

Back