"CLOSE TO THE EDGE" Pre-Release Rambling

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Burning Shed have tweeted that they have the discs and will be shipping next week.

:

@ Everybody else: Why aren't you guys all voting already? Its a clear 10, by now there is no doubt of that!

Nobody who hasn't yet heard this disc should be voting for it. One of the most infuriating things on Amazon and other sites is people reviewing releases they haven't actually heard based on fondness for the act and golden memories of their own gig going or whatever. We all know the music of CTTE, and many of us are keen on Steven Wilson's work, but to score this iteration of the album without having heard it is simply wrong and totally discredits the poll.

BTW, if the people involved are listening, for god's sake don't do Relayer next. I'm sure you're not going to as, like Tormato, it was a disappointing dud of an album that followed a classic, but the next 5.1 release has to be The Yes Album or Going For The One. Keep up the good work!

PS: Marching powder is often also referred to as Bolivian, and the term certainly predates Bright Lights, Big City - in Britain at least.

Nobody who hasn't yet heard this disc should be voting for it. One of the most infuriating things on Amazon and other sites is people reviewing releases they haven't actually heard based on fondness for the act and golden memories of their own gig going or whatever. We all know the music of CTTE, and many of us are keen on Steven Wilson's work, but to score this iteration of the album without having heard it is simply wrong and totally discredits the poll.

BTW, if the people involved are listening, for god's sake don't do Relayer next. I'm sure you're not going to as, like Tormato, it was a disappointing dud of an album that followed a classic, but the next 5.1 release has to be The Yes Album or Going For The One. Keep up the good work!

PS: Marching powder is often also referred to as Bolivian, and the term certainly predates Bright Lights, Big City - in Britain at least.

I agree.

it happens a lot! (people rating stuff on Amazon before they've even seen or heard it!) try being a Dr.Who fan! it's been absolutely infuriating over the years people reviewing the DVDs of Classic Dr.Who serials without having seen them! Dumbasses.

Personally, I'd love to hear '90125' in 5.1...

<lights blue touch paper and runs>

;)

it happens a lot! (people rating stuff on Amazon before they've even seen or heard it!) try being a Dr.Who fan! it's been absolutely infuriating over the years people reviewing the DVDs of Classic Dr.Who serials without having seen them! Dumbasses.

Another maddening Amazon habit is packing the review section of Blu-ray film/Hi-Res audio releases with the reviews of the DVD/CD. I addressed this in my Amazon review of the Blu-Ray release of Where Eagles Dare....

"This is one of the more famous films in the history of cinema, so nobody really needs to be told what it's about, or whether or not it's any good. The only thing anyone considering buying the Blu-ray wants to know is what the quality of the transfer is like, how good the sound and picture are relative to other versions.

Given that the only people to address these aspects of the product seem to universally rate it as one of the worst and most disappointing Blu-ray transfers ever released, I was deeply shocked and puzzled to find so many reviews here gushing on about the film, explaining the plot, reminiscing about their personal relationships with it and making no reference whatsoever to the Blu-ray's technical deficiencies. Then it turned out that these people weren't idiots after all, they were simply reviewing something else, the region 2 DVD, which is rather good.

Why in god's name is Amazon cluttering this product with fraudulently irrelevant reviews? There is some justification for sharing across formats if it is a product so obscure that nobody has yet reviewed the Blu-ray, but that is clearly not the case here. Please remove these DVD reviews from the Blu-Ray listing, Amazon, and put a stop to this practice across the board!"

I think fraudulent is a little strong. They do note the specific edition that each review came from. It would be nice if you could filter the reviews to just the ones of that specific release.

Another maddening Amazon habit is packing the review section of Blu-ray film/Hi-Res audio releases with the reviews of the DVD/CD. I addressed this in my Amazon review of the Blu-Ray release of Where Eagles Dare....

"This is one of the more famous films in the history of cinema, so nobody really needs to be told what it's about, or whether or not it's any good. The only thing anyone considering buying the Blu-ray wants to know is what the quality of the transfer is like, how good the sound and picture are relative to other versions.

Given that the only people to address these aspects of the product seem to universally rate it as one of the worst and most disappointing Blu-ray transfers ever released, I was deeply shocked and puzzled to find so many reviews here gushing on about the film, explaining the plot, reminiscing about their personal relationships with it and making no reference whatsoever to the Blu-ray's technical deficiencies. Then it turned out that these people weren't idiots after all, they were simply reviewing something else, the region 2 DVD, which is rather good.

Why in god's name is Amazon cluttering this product with fraudulently irrelevant reviews? There is some justification for sharing across formats if it is a product so obscure that nobody has yet reviewed the Blu-ray, but that is clearly not the case here. Please remove these DVD reviews from the Blu-Ray listing, Amazon, and put a stop to this practice across the board!"

I think fraudulent is a little strong. They do note the specific edition that each review came from. It would be nice if you could filter the reviews to just the ones of that specific release.

You're assuming that people notice the little note about which edition is being reviewed. You're probably right - fraudulent is a bit strong. At the time I wrote that I was very frustrated, as I had just had to sift through about 80 reviews to find the 3 that related to the Blu-Ray. If they had a filtering function all would be fine.

PLEASE NOTE: Once this discs hits your players, I am going to edit this thread and remove a lot of the non-title specific posts.

Kewl. :banana: This is my chance to get in a few quickies:

1. Life is short. Be happy, lest you find you have something to really fret about. I survived quite a big medical situation this year and my wife almost got killed in a car wreck last night. Thank God for airbags. Life is in fact very short, be happy even if you have to force yourself.

2. I think cement is more interesting than most people think.

3. The new live Steve Hackett Genesis Revisited II DVD is a dream come true. It is like the Genesis boys are all back. The tunes are note perfect and the singer does an A+ performance. Super's Ready is magic.

4. Some people here need to grow a sense of humor and relax. Especially the guy who was highly critical of anybody voting already (vote was largely based on the wonderful review of our dear friend Johnnie U. AND the fact that we all know/trust/love the team of SW&NW that they will always deliver nothing less than perfection. Two facts which our excessively judgmental friend missed completely in his tirade.) Dude: By any chance are you the duke of Kent? ;)

5. I just got the new Tull 5.1 SW/NW production. The old Tull blues based stuff doesn't work for me anymore, but I bought it cause Good Sir Otto from Canada promised he would buy the new YES in support of multi-channel, so I am returning the good will. Can't wait for War Child, Songs From The Wood & PP & Too Old To Rock-N-Roll... in 5.1.

6. Steve Hackett should expand his tour to do complete Genesis albums on different nights and do all the Genesis records he played on.

7. Thank God for airbags in cars. Please always use your seat belt and drive safely. Its not a joke.

Just want to say I am glad your wife survived and the air bag worked. Hopefully none of us here will get to test our airbags. I always use my seatbelt and every time my child is in my car I am concerned and remember cars are not playthings. The life you take may not be your own.... anyways ditto on having a sense of humor and relaxing.
I believe you can do a keyword search on amazon reviews to find the few talking about the dualdisc or bluray versions etc.

I think Yes should record some new epics in 5.1........ So there. Delete this off topic post Mr moderator :)

Dennis...man so happy you and your wife are fine...I'm guessing it wasn't pretty...and , yes, seat belts have ALWAYS been an "unconscious habit" every time I get in the car (and that's EVERY DAY-for about 60 miles a day!)...learned it the hard way when I was 15 and getting my "apprentice" license, and on the same week, my only uncle crashed behind a truck full of sugar cane (the marks and his blood were there for several years after that!) at about 85 mph...he fell asleep..at noon(!!!!)..

Anyway, yo , Imachine!, what have you got against "Relayer"????
It's a freakin' classic!!! I bet a lot of members here (if not MOST) would LOVE to have it in 5.1!!!!!
Also, give "Tormato" a chance (was listening to it the other day and it's MUCH better than what I remember), I'm sure that a Proper SW rework would do MAGIC to it...

Back