"CLOSE TO THE EDGE" Pre-Release Rambling

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hopefully tomorrow morning I will have an email or PM and you will all know. You'll be happy.

It's not about a release/future release, so don't get your hopes up. But you'll like it.

Dennis, glad you and your wife both survived. It sure puts in perspective our grumblings about non important trivial matters, like where is the postman with Nonsuch, and where oh where is Close to the Edge. Definitely keep up your funny posts, I for one appreciate them, this forum needs light moments occasionally!

Steve Hackett at Hammersmith - glad you enjoyed this. I know you only listened in stereo, not 5.1, but did you think it was too bass heavy as some have said, because I didn't (although I haven't listened to this one loud yet)?

Hi colsky, :)

Quick story: In the 1980's when the U.S. Submarine I was serving on sailed into Portsmouth, England I had the good fortune to spend several days in London and was treated so well by all the fabulous English Ladies & Gents, I felt like family. Your kind words remind me that nothing has changed in over 30 years and that England is truly a country of Gentlemen! Cheers!

Re Steve Hacket/extra-bass. I played it on a pair of fine near-field monitors via a HiFi sound card and the bass sound was fine. Actually, since Genesis uses a lot of bass pedals & two guitars its hard for the bass to get in the way. But no, the other tracks with an electric bass(In That Quiet Earth, for example) seemed fine. I can't wait to play the DD 5.1 in my living room when my little one allows me to do so! I was so thrilled with Steve's lineup. I have seen him in the past many times and it didn't really do it for me. THIS band is fabulous and I LOVE the singer(sorry I said that already!). What an unexpected treat to have such fine video versions of all those live classics! Steve's guitar solo at the end of Supper's Ready, is alone worth the price of the DVD!

YES. yes, yes:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00EG0MVMA/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Looks like Amazon has stock. I bought from DeepDiscount.com and they still show my order as "backordered". Oh well. I am very very happy for the lads who will get their's soon!

@JohhnieU: Thanks for arranging another chat with Steven W.! Maybe we can get a chat with Neil W. sometime! I know many of us would like to thank him and show appreciation as well.

Amazon does not have stock - it is currently only available through 3rd party sellers all of which are import/export. Still waiting patiently.

Hi Elmer, :)

Looks like we are "splitting hairs". Amazon is showing 5 vendors selling. That sure beats my deepdiscount.com store saying "backordered"!
I will guess that we can actually get product from those 5 sellers since they show "in stock". Oh, and one source is from good ole North Carolina, USA!

I'm neither patiently nor impatiently waiting. I'm simply "waiting" since I have no other reasonable choice. At this point I'd like to re-speculate that
Going For The One will be the next 5.1 SW/NW 5.1 masterpiece. :phones

I've got them on the way from Best Buy . com this and the xtc. I stopped by a local BBY store today thinking maybe they'd have them in stock, and they don't even have a Yes section. I eventually found one Yes CD in the $6.99 rack under "Y". Don't remember the title.

I've got them on the way from Best Buy . com this and the xtc. I stopped by a local BBY store today thinking maybe they'd have them in stock, and they don't even have a Yes section. I eventually found one Yes CD in the $6.99 rack under "Y". Don't remember the title.

Same here. Stopped in at a Best Buy to get the Beatles BBC discs, and looked for Yes. Not a sign of a Yes album anywhere, and in this store as well there wasn't even a Yes section. The only "Y" was Neil Young, and there were 2 CDs in that! The CD is on life support at retail, it seems.

My dvd-a disc may be defective. After listening to the album tracks several times, I wanted to check out the audio extras: the early/rough mix of the title track, an alternate take of AYAI, and the studio run-through of SK. None of them played. The disc stopped and quit the menu. I retried in vain. Then I tried the single edit. Same thing happened. I checked the booklet. It mentions these extras for the dvd-a disc. I also referred to the Burning Shed page. It lists these audio extras. Anybody else experiencing this?

I'd try another player. This disc did everything right from the first play here. I never found any navigation flaws to report. It is a packed dual layer disc and some machines might have a harder time although they really shouldn't.

I'd try another player. This disc did everything right from the first play here. I never found any navigation flaws to report. It is a packed dual layer disc and some machines might have a harder time although they really shouldn't.

I just did that. My simple Panasonic DVD player plays all the bonus tracks. Pretty lousy sound quality so I don't think I will bother with the bonus tracks in the future. The only thing that stood out (musically) was the Siberia run through.

My amazon.com order for the Blu-ray says "Shipping Now" ... so I guess that means soon.

update: Received it today the 16th. I get stuff in 2 days from Amazon, with free shipping. Not Prime. It helps to live near Chicago.

Last edited:
Back