Coaxial VS Digital Output / DTS

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr8track

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
I have a question regarding the coaxial audio output vs the digital audio output. I'm assuming the exact same info is fed out? If so, what if you have a dvd player with coaxial audio output and a receiver/dts decoder w/ only digital audio input? Is there any way to adapt the RCA connection on the coaxial audio output to go into the digital audio type of connector?
Thanks for the info.

Hey Doc,

Digital outputs and inputs are coaxial or optical. They are not interchangeable, i.e. you can not connect coaxial to optical or visa versa.

HTH,
QM

A better explaination is they're both digital !
You can get a box to transform from one to another!
If you need more info on doing this I can post a link on what you need etc. I'm not sure what your driving at so, re-explain what it is you are looking to do!
It sounds to me like you have one type of output and a different type of input . If this is the problem the above box will do the job . Get back to me and I'll set you up with a remedy! :smokin:
Rob
P. S. - One is called coaxial- and the Fiber optic is called TOS- LINK !

Doc,

I've been thinking about your question and maybe you're talking about the L & R stereo outputs from your DVD player and how they differ from the coaxial digital output(s)? I don't think so, but you asked specifically about only coaxial inputs and outputs. Your question is a little confusing, so if you can be specific about what you're trying to do that would help.

To be more specific, this question relates back to my system I'm trying to build for my motorhome. I currently have a Toshiba AC/DC TV dvd player that is dts and dolby digital capable. I am shopping for either an automobile receiver/decoder combo or stand alone decoder plus an amp. I noticed that one of the Panasonic decoders I was looking at will only take the optical TOSLINK cable input. Since the Toshiba has only the RCA coaxial style output I was wondering if there was any way of making it work with a decoder of this type. Rob, it sounds like the box you're referring to is exactly what I would need. Please let me know where I can purchase one.
Thanks

www.soundprofessionals.co...type=store
Hey doc this is the converter, Co2- don't buy the battery adapter - Go to Radio Shack And get a voltage step down adapter so you won't have to replace batteries every four hours or so! As for the decoder go back to the other page you started and read my posts and warnings about tos link and coax- I said to watch for this problem and said to check out the Millenium Decoder 12 volt and you'll find the link there . You have choices was one of my statments !
I hoped by posting it It would save you the headache of this very problem you are having , Any way go back and re-read it , If you need more help you can post here or e-mail me!
:cool:

Rob

Rob,
Thanks for the link to the converter box. I'm still not certain which way I'll end up going with this, but it's good to have this info if I end up with a unit with only one type of digital input.
Regarding the Millennium, it is obviously a great choice for dts. The only problem I have with it is that it is strictly a dts decoder. I really wish they would have included the competitors decoders in their unit.
Since I want this unit for both music and movies, it would restrict me if I only had the dts decoder. That's why neither the Millennium or the Sherwood seem like a good option for me. Some of the dvd soundtracks don't have dts surround options. Same thing for some of the dvd audio cd's. They sometimes have dolby digital alternate tracks, but not dts.
So, it really seems like I need both dts and dolby digital.
Without spending a fortune I don't think there's going to be a perfect answer. Right now I'm leaning toward the Panasonic CQ-DVR909U. In one unit this contains a four channel amplifier, AM/FM receiver, built in dts, dolby digital and pro logic decoder, and built in center channel speaker. Its one drawback is that it doesn't play cdr's. But since I need monitors in my motorhome, I can solve that by playing my dts cdr's thru my Toshiba dvd/TV combo with dts out. So, the only additional equipment I would need would be a subwoofer amp and a center channel amp if I want something more powerful than the built in center channel. The Panasonic CQ-DVR909U can be had for about $375 on Ebay.
So, not sure what I'll end up with, but I really appreciate all the info to help me make my decision.
Thanks

Back