HiRez Poll Cobham, Billy - SPECTRUM [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Billy Cobham - SPECTRUM

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on the February 2016 SACD release from Audio Fidelity that contains the previously unreleased 1973 mix of Billy Cobham's Spectrum album.

For those interested in reviewing the 2001 DVD-A 5.1 release from WB/Rhino, please do so in the thread created for that title located HERE. Of course, comparisons are welcome in either thread.

PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION THREAD: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?21415

Spectrum Front.jpg
Spectrum Back.jpg

I have the DVD-A,but this is much better with clearer sound and very discreete mix.
Love the guitar and keys in opposite rear speakers.Gave it 9.

Got this disc today. Compared this with the DVD-A. All I can say is WOW! Night and day difference. The dynamics are materially superior to the DVDA. This disc is really for the surround fan who likes to see all of their speakers producing audio.

I'm not a "front-centric" type of person. But I have to say that this goes beyond the surround type of music as well. Not sure if I'm really crazy about separate instruments coming from different speakers behind me. A bit too much at times. This album consists of soundtracks that have "funky" types of sounds. Some sound really good when fiddling behind me. But at times, it's too much having the guitar in the right rear and the keyboards in the left rear, while the percussion is in the front. I like the audio thrown around at times, but again....this could be a bit overwhelming.

And to me, the highs appear a bit too bright and harsh. The DVDA is way too dull in comparison. Somewhere in the middle would have been perfect.

All in all....I LOVE this album. The music is awesome. If they toned down the highs a bit; and didn't spec each speaker with an instrument, it would have been more to my taste. I gave it a solid 8 (maybe biased on the high side since I love the music).

Last edited:
When listening to the DVD-A from 2001, I'm a bit confused by the low bass level. Is it the same with this one?

Got this disc today. Compared this with the DVD-A. All I can say is WOW! Night and day difference. The dynamics are materially superior to the DVDA. This disc is really for the surround fan who likes to see all of their speakers producing audio.

The DVDA is not compressed; its dynamics were already quite good and 'natural' for such a recording.

I'd be surprised if they were somehow better on this one.

Yes indeed. Quite a bit better than the DVD-A edition! :)

With dynamics, do you really mean it in the true sense of the word? I'd also say that when it comes to dynamics you probably can't do much better than the DVD-A.

The DVDA is not compressed; its dynamics were already quite good and 'natural' for such a recording.

I'd be surprised if they were somehow better on this one.

With dynamics, do you really mean it in the true sense of the word? I'd also say that when it comes to dynamics you probably can't do much better than the DVD-A.

By dynamics I meant the highs were much brighter and the lows more extended and better than the DVDA. Maybe I didn't use the right word. I have not measure the dynamic range on either. The recording has been restored (re-engineered) very nicely. Sorry if I came off wrong.

By dynamics I meant the highs were much brighter and the lows more extended and better than the DVDA. Maybe I didn't use the right word. I have not measure the dynamic range on either. The recording has been restored (re-engineered) very nicely. Sorry if I came off wrong.

OK, thanks for the clarification!

Ironically enough, it is not uncommon for people to call dynamically reduced fonograms for "more dynamic", since they sound "louder". Also, the classic radio eq of more high-bass and low-treble will by many be called more dynamic.

So, it's a difficult word to use. :)

Just received this and Herbie Hancock yesterday. Just listened to the Billy Cobham this morning. I have had the DVD-A for years, and honestly it didn't strike me, not having heard the original album previously. But THIS...

This SACD quad mix is a true revelation. Everything just feels GREAT. Maybe the DVD-A prepared me for some of the not-so-easy-on-the-ears drumming madness and synthesizer wackiness, but once each tune gets past the somewhat self-indulgent introductions, the grooves are just out of this world. I gave it a "10" and I am a "Spectrum" advocate from now forward!

Edit to add some DVDA-SACD comparisons: As previously stated by many, the DVDA mix is front-centric, and the SACD has keys and guitars in the rears. One interesting difference is the wacky synthesizer intro to The Red Baron. On the SACD, it's confined to stereo in the front speakers. The DVDA, however, wins one round here because that synth is flying around EVERYWHERE.

This is a definite '9' from me, breaking down my vote this way:

Content: 2/3
Surround Mix: 3/3
Fidelity: 3/3
High-Res Disc: 1/1

Some of the content just did not suit me that much. Over-indulgent drum soloing and whatnot, but concerning the unreleased Quad mix and fidelity, this is probably one of the biggest winners from AF, right up there with "Best of Bread", "Blood Sweat & Tears", "Best of the Doors", and "Loggins & Messina". I will definitely revisit this one some more in the weeks to come! :)

I've been listening to this since the first day it came out in Oct 1973. I know every nook and cranny and have spent countless hours trying learn Tommy Bolin's amazing guitar parts. This mix is better than the 5.1 but not quite the revelation I was anticipating. Still an easy 9.

I've been listening to this since the first day it came out in Oct 1973. I know every nook and cranny and have spent countless hours trying learn Tommy Bolin's amazing guitar parts. This mix is better than the 5.1 but not quite the revelation I was anticipating. Still an easy 9.

Wow..figuring out Tommy's guitar mus t NOT be easy..especially since he used to pick EACH and EVERY NOTE ...he never did pull offs or "push ons"

I love this 4.0 disc. Great music and great sound. Funny how this music is equal to Beck's fusion discs yet for me this is a first listen. The reviews before me are basically right on. I do believe that I am becoming a better listener with 4.0. Now, that I have many 4.0's I am starting to think as a 4.0 listener, rather than a 5.1 or stereo listener. Meaning, that the 4.0's allow me to move around in my listening area a bit more, I don't feel like I have to be anchored to my sweet spot. This disc along with other 4.0's have very strong rears, that sometimes, can overpower the fronts, volume wise. I do like sitting in reverse, or sitting in the middle with this and other 4.0's. I have never owned quad recordings back in the day, but I have read about there philosophy of bringing a different experience to the listener and is clearly mixed different than a modern day 5.1. Billy Cobham's Spectrum is a prime example of 4.0 listening. I gave this a 10 on the opening track and I finished with a 10. This disc may not be my number 1 reference disc, but it will be my number 1 reference 4.0 disc.

Awesome. Super music and mix. Sooo much better than the dvda mix, which i listened a couple times, then sold. I prefered the stereo mix than the dvda. But this mix is super. I vote 10.

Back