HiRez Poll Cochrane, Tom & Red Rider - TRAPEZE: THE COLLECTION [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Tom Cochrane & Red Rider - TRAPEZE: THE COLLECTION

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
I'm a 10 for this one for the Canadian Content (the group was a legend up here), the range of the music, but also because of a personal connection to the song Lunatic Fringe. Not that the song has much to do with this but the video link I'm posting here was taken in Alberta (Canada) in 1992 when I was starting out as a Fire Fighting Air Attack guy and actually has some footage of the first fire I was on to the beat of this song that somebody put together out of some video footage and dubbed the song in.
So everytime i hear the song, especially when it sounds this good, I thinkof that sweat filled day as the fire was running up the mountain side near Grande Cache AB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePVlHCJqAl4

By the way the two engine airplanes are Douglas A 26 Invaders that were still flying in Alberta 60 years after they were built!
The 4 engine machine was Douglas DC6 buiilt in the early 50;s and the flyiing boats are Canadair CL 215's.

ken

This is one of the most comprehensive listenable discs I've got.

The music is excellent. The sonics are incredible.

The surround mixes are spot on for placement.

It's an all around top notch DVD-A.

I've only ever seen a few copies around.

I echo filper's assessment to the letter. Very succinctly put, this is ridiculously good. No, great. No more needs to be said except GET THIS! Since nothing is perfect, a 9 for sound, a 9 for content, and a 9 for menu options. I will look for the complete dvd collection that contains the interviews with the band and the cheesy videos because that's the kind of nerd I am.

I'm a 10 for this one for the Canadian Content (the group was a legend up here), the range of the music, but also because of a personal connection to the song Lunatic Fringe. Not that the song has much to do with this but the video link I'm posting here was taken in Alberta (Canada) in 1992 when I was starting out as a Fire Fighting Air Attack guy and actually has some footage of the first fire I was on to the beat of this song that somebody put together out of some video footage and dubbed the song in.
So everytime i hear the song, especially when it sounds this good, I thinkof that sweat filled day as the fire was running up the mountain side near Grande Cache AB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePVlHCJqAl4

By the way the two engine airplanes are Douglas A 26 Invaders that were still flying in Alberta 60 years after they were built!
The 4 engine machine was Douglas DC6 buiilt in the early 50;s and the flyiing boats are Canadair CL 215's.

ken
Belated thanks for that.

I loved hearing Lunatic Fringe and Life is a Highway in the early eighties, both of which got a lot of airplay at the local Boulder, CO station. But Tom Cochrane wrote and recorded a passel of great songs, many of which are on this excellent collection. I'm baffled at an earlier poster's statement that there is no "standout material" on Trapeze other than Lunatic Fringe. I know it's different strokes for different folks, but I've seldom heard such emotionally engaging lyrics sung with such soaring passion -- and the band absolutely kicks out the jambs.

Too bad it's so hard to find a copy of the DVD-Audio. The surround mix is active and well-balanced, and overall audio quality is excellent. I don't usually give a score of 10, but can't resist it for this super-fine disc.

I loved hearing Lunatic Fringe and Life is a Highway in the early eighties, both of which got a lot of airplay at the local Boulder, CO station. But Tom Cochrane wrote and recorded a passel of great songs, many of which are on this excellent collection. I'm baffled at an earlier poster's statement that there is no "standout material" on Trapeze other than Lunatic Fringe. I know it's different strokes for different folks, but I've seldom heard such emotionally engaging lyrics sung with such soaring passion -- and the band absolutely kicks out the jambs.

Too bad it's so hard to find a copy of the DVD-Audio. The surround mix is active and well-balanced, and overall audio quality is excellent. I don't usually give a score of 10, but can't resist it for this super-fine disc.

Right on! This album rocks. So many good tunes. "My boy's gonna play in the big league; my boy's gonna turn some heads; My boy's gonna play in the big league; my boy's gonna knock 'em dead" Man I love that with the background vocals mixed in the rears.

ken

The video to sound editing in that video is great. What powerful memories it must bring.

NOT HAPPY...I HAVE JUST RECIEVED THE DVD ISSUE NOT THE DVD AUDIO.

I specifically asked the seller to confirm what he was selling. He confirmed it is the DVD Audio version. It is not.

Please do not buy from this seller on Discogs

I'm writing this before I lodge a complaint with him on Discogs, to make other potential buyers aware.

NOT HAPPY...I HAVE JUST RECIEVED THE DVD ISSUE NOT THE DVD AUDIO.

I specifically asked the seller to confirm what he was selling. He confirmed it is the DVD Audio version. It is not.

Please do not buy from this seller on Discogs

I'm writing this before I lodge a complaint with him on Discogs, to make other potential buyers aware.

Bummer ! I’m in the same boat ...

Does the DVD not have 5.1 or is it just so inferior to the DVDA to make it not worth having?

As far as I know the DVD has lossy 5.1..

The point is however this guy advertised it as DVD-A , and was asked if it was the DVD-A ..
It very well could be this guy doesn’t know the difference between the formats..or is playing ignorant.. the perils of buying from Discogs I guess..

I agree with you regarding the seller situation it's annoying when you don't get the correct format I know, was just wondering whet the DVD is like seeing as how difficult it is to get the DVDA:unsure:

I agree with you regarding the seller situation it's annoying when you don't get the correct format I know, was just wondering whet the DVD is like seeing as how difficult it is to get the DVDA:unsure:

The seller has just replied and has refunded me in full. So all good there.

The DVD is perfectly acceptable for a live surround sound...just don't expect too much panning around but I like it. Its just that I've had the DVD Audio version on my wish list for years!! Oh well that's the joy of surround collecting!! It can seem like you are Inspector Clueless at times..:unsure::)
Hopefully, everybody will get the same response,if they don't wish to keep it.

fed up searching in vain for a copy of the DVD-Audio, I bit the bullet and bought the DVD-Video Collection from the artists' own sites' merch in August this year.

the 5.1's in DTS, sounded pretty good I thought and found the mixes among Richard Chycki's better surround work imho.

I saw this thread and ordered the DVD-Audio from the discogs seller as well.
I just picked up the DVD from my mailbox and I am not happy.

Update Edit: He claims to be so sorry and will refund my money if I return the package.
He claims that the DVD was sealed and he went by the barcode. The only thing is that the DVD-A and
the barcode he advertised is not the same as the barcode on the Video DVD. Pure BS.

Last edited:
I started FLACing my collection this week and oddly enough I worked my way up to 'Trapeze' yesterday. Still a great surround collection spotlighting a great portion of Tom's work. I wonder why there are so few copies around.

Back