HiRez Poll Cochrane, Tom & Red Rider - TRAPEZE: THE COLLECTION [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Tom Cochrane & Red Rider - TRAPEZE: THE COLLECTION

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this DVD-Audio disc. (y):phones(n)

I certainly didn't recognize Tom Cochrane by name, and his band, Red Rider, probably doesn't ring a bell with too many people. But the band's sole hit, "Lunatic Fringe", was pretty hard to miss if you were listening to radio in the early to mid 1980's. I really dug that song back then and still like it to this day.

It was actually pretty cool to listen to this career-spanning compilation with only "Lunatic Fringe" under my belt. It certainly gave me a better appreciation for the man and his band.

The music is consistently good, with solid songwriting and competent performances. The tracks are honest-to-goodness surround product from the original multi-tracks and the fidelity is superb. I can happily listen to this disc from start to finish without reaching for the "next" button, but when it's all over there really isn't any truly standout material beyond "Lunatic Fringe".

I hate to give this one seven points because by most measures it should be better than that. But, it is what it is, and seven points really ain't that bad, y'know?

Red Rider (another great band from our friends to the North), was pretty big here in Ohio during the early 80's. "Lunatic Fringe" being the driving single. Tom Cochrane's solo career kicked off with the hit "Life Is A Highway" in "91," getting a lot of airplay. Hits aside, this disc is full of gems with great surround mixes. Some use of panning can be found occasionally which fits the mostly pop rock sound and IMO adds to the fun. The disc has MLP 96k/24bit Stereo and 48k/24bit Surround along with the 5.1 mix on DTS 48k/24bit and Dolby Digital. For fans of Red Rider this is a no brainer. This was a good find for me, I'm giving it a 9.

This is one of the most comprehensive listenable discs I've got.

The music is excellent. The sonics are incredible.

The surround mixes are spot on for placement.

It's an all around top notch DVD-A.

I've only ever seen a few copies around.

Be careful not to get the standard DVD version because it looks almost identical to the DVD-A version (except for the case design). You'll still get the surround content on the standard DVD, but not in hi-rez.

I can't get my disc to play in 2.0

I choose the first menu option which says 96/24 in 5.1/2.0, hit enter and the disc starts playing in 5.1.
I was expecting an option allowing me to choose either 5.1 or 2.0
Messing around with the Top Menu has gotten me nowhere.

At this stage my player settings aren't going to make a difference.

I must be missing something obvious here.

Any ideas?

That's wild. I had this disc in the player all day... on the surround track of course.

I think you need to change the defaults in the player's set up menu. I won't work from the disc's menu.

It is an excellent disc.

I hope the disc isn't faulty.

I bought it before Christmas, probably too late to return it.

Or is it possible that despite what the Menu and artwork say, there is no 2 channel.
It wouldn't be the first time.

I think you need to change the defaults in the player's set up menu. I won't work from the disc's menu.

I've been going around in circles trying just that.

Unfortunately my player (and its' manual) is not friendly when it comes this kind of thing.
:mad:

Looks like there is no HiRes 2.0 track on the disc. Ouch.

Hi Phil, Did you actually try and access it with your player to be sure?

Despite being a QQ member I almost never listen to anything in 5.1.
Had I known this disc wasn't actually in 2.0 I probably wouldn't have bought it

Hi Phil, Did you actually try and access it with your player to be sure?

Despite being a QQ member I almost never listen to anything in 5.1.
Had I known this disc wasn't actually in 2.0 I probably wouldn't have bought it

Ya, I mucked around with the player for quite a bit.

If I get a chance today I'll give it another shot.

(EDIT) It ain't there.

Last edited:
Don't you just go to your players menu and move it back to "Stereo" from "5.1"
?. It works for me. I have the OPPO 980. The player just down mixes to 2.0.
I would rather it could be done by pressing the audio button on the remote like most DVD-A but it can be done this way if you have to. To me it is all waste of time because the 5.1 sounds sooo much better. Am I missing something ?.

After futilely trying to access the non existant 2 channel tracks, my disappointment is alleviated considerably now that I have finally listened to it in 5.1

This one sounds great :)

My only minor complaint might be in the song selection.
I was completely unfamilair with the last third of the disc (though I must admit I Wonder and Just Like Ali are great tracks).
Unlike the regular CD version there is only one song from each of the first four albums. I would have liked a few more early tracks.

A 9 from me

I knew you guys were right about this one.

I knew I was gonna like it - and I DO now when I finally got to give it a proper spin.

Everything is in the right place, everything works.

A 9, easily. Time to put this great collection on the map!

I managed after trying to for years to get a copy based on all of the good reports I had had for this disc.
Not know ing the music it was a blind buty when i got it.
I have to say i was a tad dissappointed The music was just a bit flat sounding for me the mix also is just not that expressive. maybe it was expectation that played a part and maybe i should ahve been cautious as I have an aversion to eighties rock on the who as it was an awefull time for rock production, i can not think of many albums from the eighties even from big name and generally consoistent artists I like.

I am with the late great Cai on this a seven

Back