HiRez Poll Coldplay - A HEAD FULL OF DREAMS [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Coldplay - A HEAD FULL OF DREAMS

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Content, Poor Surround Mix, Poor Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2016 release containing a 5.1 surround mix of the album "A Head Full of Dreams" by the band Coldplay.

5.1 Surround Sound mixed by Rik Simpson, Emily Lazar & Scott Jacoby at The Lodge. Assisted by Chris Allgood. Mastered by Emily Lazar at The Lodge. Assisted by Chris Allgood.

The Blu-Ray Audio disc can be purchased through the Official Coldplay Online Store: http://coldplay.fanfire.com/cgi-bin.../product?sourceCode=COLWEBUKWUSD&sku=COLBN020

Blu-ray_Cover-2.jpg

filename-1-3.jpg

14324546_10157536474455253_8006943308984415947_o.jpg

(n) :) (y)

Ok, you convinced me to support this release despite my reservations ;) Gee thanks for making me spend more $$

Cheers!!

Ultimately, this release is too important for just a review, so here's a blog post on why everyone should pick up this release ASAP!
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/entry.php?223-Coldplay-in-Surround-(And-why-that-s-important!)

And in case anyone's interest how I break this disc down, here's my breakdown:

Music Content: 3/3
Surround Mix: 2.5/3
Fidelity: 2.5/3
High-Res Disc: 1/1

:)

OK, so i pulled the trigger on this one...
at least to support Surround releases in HiDef...

Hope I like it ... I enjoy my discs and like to listen to them more than once ..or twice..or....

Listened tonight, BD-A, 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio 24/96. Possibly the best 5.1 release of the year. I have them all so this is a bold statement. It made my foot wag, put a smile on my face, and warmed my soul. I can get very audiophile technical but seems pointless. It is a room filling surround release that is truly beautiful, not ambient, not gimmicky, not trying to make any part better than the other. It is from possibly the biggest current international band, U2 was last decade. I saw Coldplay at Levi stadium 4 weeks ago and this disc in surround captures there over the top live show beautifully. I have purchased a ton of surround discs that I didn't expect to like, I hope you take a risk and purchase this stand alone BD-A of contemporary music, not everything is Dark Side Of The Moon, nor wants to be, it's all A Head Full Of Dreams.

Listened tonight, BD-A, 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio 24/96. Possibly the best 5.1 release of the year. I have them all so this is a bold statement. It made my foot wag, put a smile on my face, and warmed my soul. I can get very audiophile technical but seems pointless. It is a room filling surround release that is truly beautiful, not ambient, not gimmicky, not trying to make any part better than the other. It is from possibly the biggest current international band, U2 was last decade. I saw Coldplay at Levi stadium 4 weeks ago and this disc in surround captures there over the top live show beautifully. I have purchased a ton of surround discs that I didn't expect to like, I hope you take a risk and purchase this stand alone BD-A of contemporary music, not everything is Dark Side Of The Moon, nor wants to be, it's all A Head Full Of Dreams.

Thanks for the review! Ok, you pushed me over the edge and I ordered it. Should be here next week and am excited to hear it. In your opinion, which are the standout tracks?

Finally ordered this, cheaper from amazon US to Sweden than UK. Agree with Ryan, this is SUCH an important release for the entire surround community

Thanks for the review! Ok, you pushed me over the edge and I ordered it. Should be here next week and am excited to hear it. In your opinion, which are the standout tracks?
I pretty much like them all, there is one that is a little weak. There are two narrative blurbs and another with birds chirping, all good. I have been listening to Coldplay since there massive hit, Clocks. The content of this release is not my favorite, which is X&Y. This release I own the RBCD, the digital download, and now the 5.1, so I have been listening for a few months and has grown on me.
As an audiophile who doesn't work at home, I trust what I have done my entire life, and that is repeat listening to CD's in the car. My whole life music has grown on me in the car more than the expensive machine at home.

Thanks for the additional reviews. While I'm likely not going to be overly excited about the music on this disc, I am hopeful that it may open the door for other artists (Radiohead, let's say) to explore this option :)

Finally ordered this, cheaper from amazon US to Sweden than UK. Agree with Ryan, this is SUCH an important release for the entire surround community

now sold out at Amazon US ("we don't know when or if this will be back in stock")
and Amazon UK saying "not in stock for 1 to 3 weeks"..

:yikes

I reckon anyone who hasn't got it already should do what I just (reluctantly) did and just get it from the Coldplay store before it becomes impossible to get anywhere, at any price..

Ordered from Coldplay store! If the Amazon order ever comes then I may keep it sealed for resale ;)

In stock and available for shipping from Bullmoose, $15. I was able to use some of my points to get it for half that.

Been over this record 5-6 times now. I have a slight mixed feel to this band, I did find their two first albums a bit bland, liked X&Y and totally loved Viva La Vida but sadly didn't like the direction they took after that. This latest effort is OK in stereo, but since the songs lack a bit of depth for me I can't enjoy it throughout. The surround mix, however, is really something else. It's a VERY well made mix, it really fills the room, really immersive. Turns out there is a bit of things happening in the wall of sound that tend to drown the nuances in stereo. The fidelity is just there.

The closing track Up & Up is a damn happy little number... cheesy, but happy, me like! Actually feels good to hear Noel Gallaghers simple but delicate and triumphant guitar playing, the best he has performed in two decades, Champagne Supernova light.

The actual music is a 7, the mix is a damn 10, I will adjust it to a 9.

And it can't be stressed enough: BUY THIS. If you don't do it for yourself, do it for the sake of the entire surround community. End of preaching.

I nearly bought this the other day, but I sampled the tracks and I only liked one of them that I recall. And, wow, the stereo is compressed.

Back