HiRez Poll Collins, Judy - COLORS OF THE DAY [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Judy Collins - COLORS OF THE DAY

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround, Poor Content

• Total voters
Listening to the 4.0 layer and its another winner from Audio Fidelity! Keep 'em comin' :) Giving it a '9'

Last edited:
Just got mine today. Now I'm a diehard Judy Collins fan so take this review with that in mind. I love this disc. Haven't heard the music in years and listening to it was like running into an old friend. I had the CD-4 disc back in the '70s. This is the same rich surround mix of discrete rear placement AND ambience. Some cuts have prominent rear channel activity. (The slide guitar that opens the disk on Someday Soon comes to mind). But they always complement the clear center vocal without calling too much attention to themselves. After all, this is a solo vocalist with backing. Just perfect. I gave it a 9. One of my favorite quad mixes. And now one of my favorite SACD discs as well. Like to see AF reissue Judith- Judy Collins' other CD-4 release from back in the day. That had a great mix too.

Come on folks..vote! This way I can decide if I want to buy something that isn't quite my cup of tea. :)

My copy is still en route but you'll only get a biased opinion from me as I petitioned Marshall Blonstein CEO of Audio Fidelity to release this 'treasure' as I previously owned it on QUAD Open Reel.

If Judy Collins is NOT your cup o' tea, then doubtful this GOSsamer outing will change your opinion but, as for me, the sheer beauty of her voice and amazingly tasteful arrangements coupled with stunning sound quality will always have a special place in my heart! Pardon me if I'm feeling a bit Verklempt...to borrow a phrase from Mike Meyers!

Last edited:
My copy is still en route but you'll only get a biased opinion from me as I petitioned Marshall Blonstein CEO of Audio Fidelity to release this 'treasure' as I previously owned it on QUAD Open Reel.

If Judy Collins is NOT your cup o' tea, then doubtful this GOSsamer outing will change your opinion but, as for me, the sheer beauty of her voice and amazingly tasteful arrangements coupled with stunning sound quality will always have a special place in my heart! Pardon me if I'm feeling a bit Ferklempt...to borrow a phrase from Mike Meyers!

I should clarify....simply put, I didn't listen to this back in the day..for whatever reason. My tastes have changed dramatically. I'm nearly open to almost all music, only occasionally do I simply not like a release that most others do. (birds of fire as an example). I like mellow, I like focus on vocals...I Like folk. LOVE soft rock from early 70's.....

I should clarify....simply put, I didn't listen to this back in the day..for whatever reason. My tastes have changed dramatically. I'm nearly open to almost all music, only occasionally do I simply not like a release that most others do. (birds of fire as an example). I like mellow, I like focus on vocals...I Like folk. LOVE soft rock from early 70's.....

Gos, I don't like swaying anyone's musical taste, but Judy Collins was also a critic's darling back in the day. Her album "In My Life" was spectacular at the time and she always remained very contemporary with her lilting and haunting Beatle's covers....I always liked her "In My Life" cover better than the Beatles, themselves.

For what it's worth, AF's prices for these QUAD remasters are SO reasonable, how can you NOT take a chance? If you like soft rock of the 70's then this just may be YOUR cup o' Nespresso! :nuke

My tastes have changed dramatically. I'm nearly open to almost all music

Same here.. this surround hobby has "done things" to my meat and potatoes musical sensibilities..! :yikes

In other news my Amazon US estimated delivery date (cos we all love whining on about this stuff.. ;) ) for this SACD is now January 7th.. so I hope you all have fun with Quad Judy in the U.S.A while I cry into my corn flakes every morning for the next 3 weeks without her..! :ugham:

My copy is still en route but... as for me, the sheer beauty of her voice and amazingly tasteful arrangements coupled with stunning sound quality will always have a special place in my heart! Pardon me if I'm feeling a bit Ferklempt...to borrow a phrase from Mike Meyers!

[video=youtube;PDXEgBh0TF0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDXEgBh0TF0[/video]

[video=youtube;JBHKVAs85Ko]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBHKVAs85Ko[/video]

I just listened to my new sacd quad Judy Collins. I'd give it a 9. I didn't think "someday Soon " was a great mix. I loved this song. I thought it was too echo -ey. The rest of the album in quad is awesome. Great separation , crisp well defined music and her beautiful voice.

Same here.. this surround hobby has "done things" to my meat and potatoes musical sensibilities..! :yikes

In other news my Amazon US estimated delivery date (cos we all love whining on about this stuff.. ;) ) for this SACD is now January 7th.. so I hope you all have fun with Quad Judy in the U.S.A while I cry into my corn flakes every morning for the next 3 weeks without her..! :ugham:

SUCH a drama Queen!:violin Maybe if you switched to Wheaties "The Breakfast of Champions" instead of (gulp!) Corn Flakes the utter pain wouldn't be so unbearable. But then, again, You always have Andy Williams in SQ, meticulously 'scrubbed' under fairy liquid to lessen the pain. Judy, Judy, JUDY.......OOPs....WRONG Judy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7EAspaqH00

In the meantime...

[video=youtube;Y_IRQCFRB5M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_IRQCFRB5M[/video]

Please keep in mind that this thread is for actual reviews of the disc and not for the witty reparte. Thanks

Please keep in mind that this thread is for actual reviews of the disc and not for the witty reparte. Thanks

bobby, Bobby, BOBBY, POINT TAKEN.

But you have to admit it is useful in pushing Colors of the Day into the forefront and IS selling more copies. :wave

I've already pre~determined that it's a 10 even though I don't yet have it in my possession.

Again, apologies for the digression.

I was around back then when Judy Collins was culturally more relevant than she is today, so I am a bit biased.

This is an interesting release, low key and thoughtful.

The SQ is quite good; these old tapes sound fine. Her voice, 40 years ago, was clear and emotive. She knew how to pick songs and songwriters.

Before this arrived in my mailbox, I read more than one thread that dissed the quad mix as "unimpressive" "passive" etc. I am glad that I actually listened to the disc instead of the naysayers. IMO the surround mix is subtle and clean, but not in-your-face. It suits the material well. Discrete, tasteful and appropriate.

I love her take on In My Life, Suzanne, and others. And then there are the whales. My wife and I both loved the effect -- just beautiful. Others have commented about different takes, extra tracks. Woulda. Shoulda. Etc. We don't have those. But what we do have is a good, artistic quad release on SACD from AF. Thanks for that.

Again, this one is low key and thoughtful, and maybe not for every taste. But the delights are many.

But at home last night on a snowy evening, it was a wonderful experience.

Other thoughts?

Last edited:
I am dating myself again, but when I was a junior in High School, I had an English teacher who loved music and would play us songs of the time and have us write papers on what the lyrics meant and things like that. She loved Judy Collins, so we got many songs off this album that came from their original albums, not the GH disc.

Many of these (other than 'In My Life' (of course)) I had never heard before, and it was quite a few years later that I realized that "Both Sides Now" was a Joni Mitchell tune, not a Judy Collins tune. I don't think I even knew who Joni Mitchell was back then!

Anyway, these songs were considered "folk" back then, and today they may sound dated to many, but one thing thanks to this disc is that they now sound great. Clear, crisp, and well done. Judy was pretty popular in the '60s and a bit into the '70s then she fell out of popularity as did many of the folk artists of the time. Sure, she was still around but not getting much publicity.

This disc has the heart of her material, but there are many other songs from her earlier albums that are worthy as well - if you like this sort of music. For me, I have to be in the mood, but when I am, I like it a lot.

I give this disc a 9. To me, the surround mix fits the material perfectly, is sounds great, and the performance is excellent.

Back