Quad LP/Tape Poll Coltrane, John: Concert In Japan [QS]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Concert In Japan"

• 10: Great Sound, Great Mix, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5: So-so

• 1: Bad Sound, Bad Mix, Bad Content

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Impulse ABC AS-9246-2, from 1973.

Side A (Record 1, Side 1):

1. Spoken Introduction (in Japanese)
2. Introduction (MEDITATIONS) and LEO, Part One

Side B (Record 2, Side 1):

1. LEO, Part Two

Side C (Record 2, Side 2):

1. PEACE ON EARTH, Part One

Side D (Record 1, Side 2):

1. PEACE ON EARTH, Part Two
2. LEO, Part Three

ED :)

Attachments

• Coltrane Concert In Japan.jpg
    Coltrane Concert In Japan.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 159
Well, since no one else dares to review it, I will...:D

Fact is, it's an exceptional performance, but the recording situation was crude...in fact, a not-so-stellar monaural source. To make this *quad*(I hate teo use that term in this context), there are panning and Eq effects, an attempt to 'open up' the atmosphere, as it were, but it's a failure in that regard, by any measure.

I've often wondered why anyone--whether it be Impulse! or Silverline, or RCA--would even bother attempting to make quad out of mono sources when they could instead have issued other material with multichannel source tapes instead. Coltrane was great, no doubt about it, but didn't they have three or four-track sources for some later material? Sheesh!

Quadramonic. NEGATIVE 10 for the mix. 9 for performance. 3 for fidelity, other than the mix. Why would they do this in Quad from MONO??? Easy, they knew they'd sell more copies. '73 was when the world was in love with Quad. Like Bose, it's better sound through marketing.

Well, since no one else dares to review it, I will...:D

Fact is, it's an exceptional performance, but the recording situation was crude...in fact, a not-so-stellar monaural source. To make this *quad*(I hate teo use that term in this context), there are panning and Eq effects, an attempt to 'open up' the atmosphere, as it were, but it's a failure in that regard, by any measure.

I've often wondered why anyone--whether it be Impulse! or Silverline, or RCA--would even bother attempting to make quad out of mono sources when they could instead have issued other material with multichannel source tapes instead. Coltrane was great, no doubt about it, but didn't they have three or four-track sources for some later material? Sheesh!

You might be right, although by the time Impulse! went to compatible stereo/quad, it was already a legendary boutique label, the most unique musical subdivision within a major company until Frank Zappa's Bizarre label was under the Warner/Reprise umbrella. It's also noteworthy that Impulse! album covers didn't exactly brag about quad or QS; on the main, their idea was probably similar to Angel's: to issue regular quad releases for as long as quad seemed viable in single-inventory form, rather than ABC's Command Quadraphonic approach, which lifted its albums from previously issued releases (even if they absurdly repackaged the few Command titles they issued).

Back