Coming in August...."Toto IV" on multichannel hybrid SACD w/ bonus tracks in 7" mini LP packaging

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
is the 2003 SACD version the CS ( USA ) version or the Austrian authored COL version ?
from what i can gather, it seems like its an entirely new version with the 5.1 based on the Scheiner 5.1 Blu-ray from the All in All Box Set (with a couple of tracks having extended versions) plus a new Stereo SACD Elliot Scheiner mastering and some other brickwalled mastering on the Redbook CD layer.

@fredblue OK I hope this is info that will help you Adam.
2003 5.1 SACD vs 2022 5.1 SACD

2003 Track 1 5:33 DR14-------2022 Track 1 5:32 DR14
Track 2 3:47 DR14------- Track 2 4:24 DR14
Track 3 4:55 DR15------- Track 3 4:53 DR15
Track 4 3:23 DR13------- Track 4 3:17 DR14
Track 5 3:07 DR15------- Track 5 3:04 DR14
Track 6 3:51 DR13------- Track 6 4:51 DR14
Track 7 4:27 DR13------- Track 7 4:32 DR13
Track 8 3:57 DR14------- Track 8 4:08 DR15
Track 9 4:13 DR16------- Track 9 4:11 DR16
Trac 10 4:57 DR15------- Trac 10 4:55 DR15
I have no speculation or experience as to why the slight differences.
I can say I really like the new version, seems softer for lack of a better word.
thank you for the analysis and info! 🤗💘

Never was a Toto fan--but I'm not here to crap on the thread, I promise! Rather:

30 years last Friday since Jeff Porcaro died. This link was posted at the Dandom FB group. (Of course Dan fans would probably add pretty much the rest of Katy Lied, for starters, not just "Bad Sneakers". . . .) I haven't tallied how many of these tracks are available in surround.
https://ultimateclassicrock.com/best-jeff-porcaro-songs/

Last edited:
Never was a Toto fan--but I'm not here to crap on the thread, I promise! Rather:

30 years last Friday since Jeff Porcaro died. This link was posted at the Dandom FB group. (Of course Dan fans would probably add pretty much the rest of Katy Lied, for starters, not just "Bad Sneakers". . . .) I haven't tallied how many of these tracks are available in surround
https://ultimateclassicrock.com/best-jeff-porcaro-songs/[/URL
...Packaging is nice, if not a bit excessive. I mean, I really don't care for all the extra stuff...

I'm just the opposite, I love all the extra stuff, the more the better.
I feel a bit let down by something like the Herbie Hancock Headhunters, with no extras.

The professor's link is an excellent corollary to the included Session List booklet.
I'm another buyer who was never a big fan, as Toto saturated FM radio airplay.

But I was reminded of the coverage in the music press at the time about how the band formed like a new version of the early supergroups.
Recruited from A-list first-call LA studio musicians, not ex-members of bands like Buffalo Springfield, The Byrds, etc.

IMG_7491.JPG

Here is the S page, with Boz Scaggs & Steely Dan:

img20220807_17490998.jpg

As for keeping all the extras together in the mini-LP packaging, I use these over-sized 3 mil "Made in USA" poly sleeves.
Happy to report they fit even the over-sized Santana Lotus double album.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08NW8KNJC

30 years last Friday since Jeff Porcaro died. This link was posted at the Dandom FB group. (Of course Dan fans would probably add pretty much the rest of Katy Lied, for starters, not just "Bad Sneakers". . . .) I haven't tallied how many of these tracks are available in surround.

Jeff's session works also captured on 2 Japanese tribute CDs. They're still in print at cdjapan

27776329099_b6e79ebb9d_w.jpg

Jeff's session works also captured on 2 Japanese tribute CDs. They're still in print at cdjapan

27776329099_b6e79ebb9d_w.jpg

Or tracks for a streaming playlist:

1MOODIDO (THE MATCH) / TOTO
ムーディド / TOTO
2LOWDOWN / Boz Scaggs
ロウダウン / ボズ・スキャッグス
3I DON`T WANT YOU ANYMORE / Bill Champlin
アイ・ドント・ウォント・ユー・エニモア / ビル・チャンプリン
4WAIT / The Jacksons
ウェイト / ザ・ジャクソンズ
5DRIVE A CROOKED ROAD / Steve Lukather
ドライヴ・ア・クルケッド・ロード / スティーヴ・ルカサー
6HUMAN TOUCH / Bruce Springsteen
ヒューマン・タッチ / ブルース・スプリングスティーン
7PARADISE / Herbie Hancock
パラダイス / ハービー・ハンコック
8AFRICA / TOTO
アフリカ / TOTO
9I FOUND LOVE / Deniece Williams
アイ・ファウンド・ラヴ / デニース・ウィリアムス
10IT`S OVER / Boz Scaggs
イッツ・オーヴァー / ボズ・スキャッグス
11HUMAN NATURE / Michael Jackson
ヒューマン・ネイチャー / マイケル・ジャクソン
12LOVIN` AND LOSIN` YOU / Dwayne Ford
追憶のパラダイス / ドウェイン・フォード
13CONFIDE IN ME / The Manhattan Transfer
コンファイド・イン・ミー / ザ・マンハッタン・トランスファー
14COME CLOSER. BABY / Tom Scott
カム・クローサー・ベイビー / トム・スコット
15ISN`T SHE LOVELY / Lee Ritenour feat.Bill Champlin
可愛いアイシヤ / リー・リトナー feat.ビル・チャンプリン
16WHEN A MAN LOVES A WOMAN / Michael Bolton
男が女を愛する時 / マイケル・ボルトン
17HOME OF THE BRAVE / TOTO

1GEORGY PORGY / TOTO feat.Cheryl Lynn
ジョージー・ポージー (ディスコ・ヴァージョン) / TOTO feat.シェリル・リン
2I KEEP FORGETTIN` (EVERY TIME YOU`RE NEAR) / Michael McDonald
アイ・キープ・フォーゲッティン / マイケル・マクドナルド
3BEAT IT / Michael Jackson
今夜はビート・イット / マイケル・ジャクソン
4GUESS WHO`S LOOKING FOR LOVE AGAIN / Ned Doheny
ゲス・フーズ・ルッキング・フォー・ラヴ・アゲイン / ネッド・ドヒニー
5WHAT A FOOL BELIEVES / Aretha Franklin
ホワット・ア・フール・ビリーヴス / アレサ・フランクリン
6ALL RIGHT / Christopher Cross
オール・ライト / クリストファー・クロス
7MORNIN` / Al Jarreau
モーニング / アル・ジャロウ
8ONE STEP AHEAD OF THE BAD NEWS / Randy Goodrum
ワン・ステップ・アヘッド・オブ・ザ・バッド・ニュース / ランディ・グッドラム
9SPANISH FLIGHT / Rodney Franklin
スパニッシュ・フライト / ロドニー・フランクリン
10GIMME THE GOODS / Boz Scaggs
ギミー・ザ・グッズ / ボズ・スキャッグス
11NOTHIN` YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT / Airplay
貴方には何も出来ない / エアプレイ
12ROSANNA / TOTO
ロザーナ / TOTO
13ROOM335 / Larry Carlton
ルーム335 / ラリー・カールトン
14HAVEN`T WE COME A LONG WAY / Eric Carmen
二人のラヴ・ウェイ / エリック・カルメン
15YOU SHOULD HEAR HOW SHE TALKS ABOUT YOU / Melissa Manchester
気になるふたり / メリサ・マンチェスター
16WHY DO LOVERS BREAK EACH OTHER`S HEART? / Daryl Hall & John Oates
恋の傷痕 / ダリル・ホール&ジョン・オーツ
17SONG FOR JEFF / Steve Lukather
ソング・フォー・ジェフ / スティーヴ・ルカサー

Not to take this thread sideways, but with all this talk of MQA, is any special hardware needed for MQA?
Thanks 🤔

Yes. If streaming ( Tidal and others ) you need an MQA enabled DAC. Tp play MQA CDs you need a MQA enabled CD player. I suggest you dive into this website to learn more. There is some equipment on the market that can play both mediums

www.mqa.co.uk

Wow, it shocked me that he was only 38 years old. Such a talent.

Yes. If streaming ( Tidal and others ) you need an MQA enabled DAC. Tp play MQA CDs you need a MQA enabled CD player. I suggest you dive into this website to learn more. There is some equipment on the market that can play both mediums

www.mqa.co.uk
Thank you for the link.
Looks like Oppo UDP 203 does not support it…and I am not that adventurous 🫤

Supply chain issues, what supply chain issues? Ordered mine several days ago and it’s already here. First listen tonight: sound is very good! Wasn’t a big Toto fan but looking forward to getting to know this.

Back