Coming in August...."Toto IV" on multichannel hybrid SACD w/ bonus tracks in 7" mini LP packaging

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wasn’t a big Toto fan but looking forward to getting to know this.
Neither was I, growing up. I liked the hard stuff.
Giving this album a chance, in 5.1 of course, caused me to respect them more, as the album cuts are DEEP.
I circled back and picked up their debut and Hydra. After many listens, fandom achieved.

Neither was I, growing up. I liked the hard stuff.
Giving this album a chance, in 5.1 of course, caused me to respect them more, as the album cuts are DEEP.
I circled back and picked up their debut and Hydra. After many listens, fandom achieved.
I loved Toto back then...I think Hydra was their stab at Prog.."Turn Back" was also a bit Prog in places .. I had (HAVE) both from back then... IV was awesome but leaning more towards Pop...

Another GREAT overview of an iconic album, Mikey. Still Love your Game of Thrones chair. Still waiting for you to breathe 🔥🔥🔥

Wonder if this newly released TOTO IV will warrant its own POLL?
i'm thinking possibly not Ralph, as like EJ's Madman, its the same mix just with a different mastering.

some additional things could be mentioned here to differentiate between the old SACD and the new SACD, i guess, from the incidental (such as there now being Full range content in the new SACD's LFE channel) to the more impactful (the Rears being swapped on the new SACD), etc..

i'm thinking possibly not Ralph, as like EJ's Madman, its the same mix just with a different mastering.

some additional things could be mentioned here to differentiate between the old SACD and the new SACD, i guess, from the incidental (such as there now being Full range content in the new SACD's LFE channel) to the more impactful (the Rears being swapped on the new SACD), etc..
But it would also alert potential newbies that this is indeed a new edition in splendid 7" packaging and is available for roughly 1/2 the price of the OOP ORIGINAL!

And if I not mistaken, aren't there bonus cuts on the SACD layer and the RBCD layer is also newly remastered as well.

But it would also alert potential newbies that this is indeed a new edition in splendid 7" packaging and is available for roughly 1/2 the price of the OOP ORIGINAL!

And if I not mistaken, aren't there bonus cuts on the SACD layer and the RBCD layer is also newly remastered as well.
The longer album cuts and four bonus tracks are only available on the Redbook layer.

We can't set up a new poll thread every time one of these older 5.1's is reissued, imagine how many separate threads there'd be for Queen's A Night At The Opera or Carole King's Tapestry.
I think that that's a good idea because it keeps everything associated with the original 5.1 and reissues in one thread. That way, a person looking into obtaining a particular 5.1 has all of the information in front of them without having to spend more time researching the title than listening to it.

If the overall ratings drop because a new reissue is bungled...like authoring a lossy DTS layer instead of an as-advertised lossless DTS-MA layer...well then too bad:

Mediocrity.jpg

SONY JAPAN has once again 'nailed it' with this extraordinary Elliot Scheiner TOTO IV 5.1 SACD remaster in exquisite 7" packaging. Without even comparing it to the original SONY remaster, on its own, the sonics are crisp and clear no doubt due to 256 DSD remastering!

Now those who missed out on the original can obtain a copy for roughly half the price [or less] of the now long OOP original SACD!

I voted 10!
Image 1 - TOTO IV Deluxe Edition 40th Anniversary 5.1 Hybrid SACD EP SIZE SLEEVE
The one thing they didn't "nail" is the back of the album sleeve. It's pretty fuzzy, out of focus. Other than that, the packaging gets full marks from me.

So what's the impact on how this release sounds if the 'Rears' are indeed swapped on this one?

So what's the impact on how this release sounds if the 'Rears' are indeed swapped on this one?
Jonathan found a round the room pan in "Waiting For Your Love" on the old SACD (guitar moves clockwise towards the beginning of the track) so with the Rears swapped on the new SACD i guess that would now zigzag rather than pan round clockwise!! (but i haven't checked yet)

Jonathan found a round the room pan in "Waiting For Your Love" on the old SACD (guitar moves clockwise towards the beginning of the track) so with the Rears swapped on the new SACD i guess that would now zigzag rather than pan round clockwise!! (but i haven't checked yet)
Are you sure it's that song, I just listened to my old SACD and just wasn't hearing anything like that (or it's very subtle?)

It’s pretty subtle, but the Steely Dan-esque rhythm guitar line starting at around 1:20 in the left rear hops all five speakers in a clockwise pattern.

It’s pretty subtle, but the Steely Dan-esque rhythm guitar line starting at around 1:20 in the left rear hops all five speakers in a clockwise pattern.
yep, got it now, it's kind of a palm muted little riff.

Overall, there are also some shifting and fading of various instruments from left rear to right rear. From a psychoacoustic standpoint it just feels right that way, if it's reversed it can throw out an entirely different vibe/feel IMO.

Last edited:
I guess there will be a consensus soon if the rears are reversed.
I am wondering how this can happen especially with a correct first issue.
Oh that's right in Japan they drive on the other side of the road...
They don't drive in Japan, Jeffie .. they take the BULLET TRAIN ...just like we have in the US of A connecting the East with the West Coast ...LOL!

Back