Coming in July - Mr. Big's "Lean Into It" (30th Anniversary Edition) on multichannel hybrid SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oh... ohhh.... 👀

Here we go again ...... But in all fairness, Adam, the Julienne Taylor multi~CH SACDs were LIVE performances so I didn't anticipate any discrete ping pong effects from the discs. Hopefully, Mr Big will be a discrete remix ..... the way WE ALL LIKE IT.

See the source image

Hope it is not an upmix with deluxe echo / reverb in surrounds. Why am I skeptical in this very late stage of true high-res discreet surround delivery formats.

My only experience with Mr. Big is "To Be With You." I was in a Japanese karaoke bar ready to sing Extreme's "More Than Words," but instead "To Be With You" came on instead. 'Twas the first of many bizarre moments that night.

I was expecting to come into this thread and read the flood of mocking posts along the lines of "Are you serious? Out of all the albums in the world, THIS is getting the surround sound treatment?"

It appears I am mistaken.

The good news is that those songs are virtually interchangeable (which is actually not such good news by some measures) - so you had a better than average chance of pulling it off 😝

Received email response from Evo88 and they told me Chris Bell did the surround mix.

I've never heard of him before, but judging from his website he's worked with some interesting artists including the Eagles (and Don Henley), Erykah Badu, Destiny's Child, and Earth, Wind & Fire.

His website also says that he's set up for Atmos mixing which I take as a good sign that someone is forward-thinking about the immersive aspect of surround sound mixing.

I also found an old interview with him from 2013 where it sounds like he was a bit of a Bob Clearmountain type, mixing everything he did in 5.1 even though it never got released:

"I’m also set up for 5.1 in this room. For a while I was into mixing surround on records and what’s cool about it is that you can leave the entire low end in that you normally shave out, so it just sounds gigantic. I used to do free 5.1 mixes for the band, to show them what it was like and to get them excited about it. I would do all my stereo mixes and then I would spend about an hour per song, breaking out a 5.1 mix for them. But none of those 5.1 records have ever been released; they all have them on hard drives somewhere. I guess it went by the way side because the iPod took over and now everyone’s listening to MP3’s."

I've never heard of him before, but judging from his website he's worked with some interesting artists including the Eagles (and Don Henley), Erykah Badu, Destiny's Child, and Earth, Wind & Fire.

His website also says that he's set up for Atmos mixing which I take as a good sign that someone is forward-thinking about the immersive aspect of surround sound mixing.

I also found an old interview with him from 2013 where it sounds like he was a bit of a Bob Clearmountain type, mixing everything he did in 5.1 even though it never got released:

"I’m also set up for 5.1 in this room. For a while I was into mixing surround on records and what’s cool about it is that you can leave the entire low end in that you normally shave out, so it just sounds gigantic. I used to do free 5.1 mixes for the band, to show them what it was like and to get them excited about it. I would do all my stereo mixes and then I would spend about an hour per song, breaking out a 5.1 mix for them. But none of those 5.1 records have ever been released; they all have them on hard drives somewhere. I guess it went by the way side because the iPod took over and now everyone’s listening to MP3’s."

The name doesn't ring a Bell, as well but since he's worked with groups that have had some pretty excellent surround mixes in the past and is set up for Atmos, Mr Big may be Bigger than expected in surround!

Ordered added the registered postage (as it is coming to the UK from HK) and it came to a respectable £21.42!

Great Deal, Dunc. Happily, in the States, ImportCD does carry the EVOsound Line of CDs, Vinyl, MQA~CDs, SACDs and Blu Ray discs. Did attempt to order some discs from their [EVOsound] website last night [not available @ ImportCD] and what a total screw job. Gave up after a few attempts.

You must have that magic touch! 🙌

https://www.importcds.com/search?q=evosound&mod=AP

Last edited:
Great Deal, Dunc. Happily, in the States, ImportCD does carry the EVOsound Line of CDs, Vinyl, MQA~CDs, SACDs and Blu Ray discs. Did attempt to order some discs from their [EVOsound] website last night [not available @ ImportCD] and what a total screw job. Gave up after a few attempts.

You must have that magic touch! 🙌

https://www.importcds.com/search?q=evosound&mod=AP
Their website is very 'clunky' and frequently displayed a mixture of Java script and data, rather than just the page, but I won in the end!

Back