Coming mini "Black Box" Pre amp Master!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey surround team
The preamp will probably be sent for the for prototype manufacture next week, here is an actual snapshot of the final layout, for ACDC fans there is a hidden prize!
View attachment 80551
If you note that there is provision for two different package CPU'S that's because of the current Chinese component shortages- so we can substitute if need be to a through hole alternative.

View attachment 80552

You might think that it does not look that complicated- well there are 555 components on the board and around 600 when you include the front PCB and the Bluetooth module!!
ADC...DAC....?

Hey surround team
The preamp will probably be sent for the for prototype manufacture next week, here is an actual snapshot of the final layout, for ACDC fans there is a hidden prize!
View attachment 80551
If you note that there is provision for two different package CPU'S that's because of the current Chinese component shortages- so we can substitute if need be to a through hole alternative.

View attachment 80552

You might think that it does not look that complicated- well there are 555 components on the board and around 600 when you include the front PCB and the Bluetooth module!!
You like to torture donā€™t ya!

I thought maybe youā€™d hidden an AC/DC song on one of the chips, so when you fire up the unit it plays thisā€¦

or if you prefer the Bon years

Alright then, carry on.

Sweet. I'm currently in one of our dev labs, surrounded by lots of PWB with many fiddeley bits allover them.

Can't wait to place my order..

Dear All

Bad and worse news

Dave the Bitch is currently very horizontal with the blessed COVID and a really bad dose. Glad he was triple vaxxed as I fear he would have been much worse. It's really hit us in the last few weeks Kali our other electronic engineer is also very ill with COVID and losing weight (from nearly nothing) and two of our production people have just recovered for the second time.

Now the worse news is that the DSP we are using in the pre amp the ADAU1467WBCPZ300 has had a minor price increase from around $10 to anywhere between $170 to $350 each!! Something to do with COVID shutting down Chinese factories and panic buying by the automotive sector primarily soaking up the world stock until some time next year.

So this may cause a price increase on the preamp, also we are under pressure from companies wanting to distribute the product to increase the price significantly. My tip is get in early if you can.

Just sayin

Best of thoughts for those struggling with COVID Chucky. Sorry to hear about the potential price increase, but in one case, sounds like distributors feel like it is not priced correctly for the value, compared to available options in the market. That could be a good thing for Involve....maybe not so good for us QQ insiders!

My tip is get in early if you can
I assume that means if interested, buy during a pre-order, early sale, etc. that Involve may offer on an early run?

Best of thoughts for those struggling with COVID Chucky. Sorry to hear about the potential price increase, but in one case, sounds like distributors feel like it is not priced correctly for the value, compared to available options in the market. That could be a good thing for Involve....maybe not so good for us QQ insiders!

I assume that means if interested, buy during a pre-order, early sale, etc. that Involve may offer on an early run?
Yup

Now the worse news is that the DSP we are using in the pre amp the ADAU1467WBCPZ300 has had a minor price increase from around $10 to anywhere between $170 to $350 each!! Something to do with COVID shutting down Chinese factories and panic buying by the automotive sector primarily soaking up the world stock until some time next year.
Same thing is happening with the FPGAs I want to use in my new design, 52 weeks lead-time, and the smaller one is quoted as April 2024! As for the price....šŸ˜± So the project will have to be delayed.

I am negotiating to protect QQ prices as you guys are "special"

Your average QQ member:
1657681921677.png

... I may have missed it, but what are the physical dimensions?
Similar to the new SM?

( signed: special, just waiting with baited breath.. and funds in hand.. uh paw/hoof/tentacles)

... I may have missed it, but what are the physical dimensions?
Similar to the new SM?

( signed: special, just waiting with baited breath.. and funds in hand.. uh paw/hoof/tentacles)
Same for the first back and about 1 cm higher on second batch as we are moving eventually to a slightly higher standard

Same for the first back and about 1 cm higher on second batch as we are moving eventually to a slightly higher standard
Soo.. being special special, what are the dimensions in say, Pico leagues?
( I'll settle for MM in a pinch ...)

I'm about to order a walnut side panel enclosure to house my two two-channel amps, and want it to match the total width of the new SM and the pre, when sitting side by side. The two Involve pieces will sit underneath, to allow the amp to breathe and not spit roast the decoder/preamp..
:)

Last edited:
Back