Comments Inspired By Doobie Brothers, The - QUADIO [Blu-ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hw0515

To Poll .png

Does anyone know if there are any playback issues with these Quadio titles and Sony Blu Ray' players? I'm only getting the 2 front channels and nothing from the rears. It only seems to an issue with the last 2 Quadio's... (just checked my little listened to Chicago set ,and same problem)....

I pulled a number of other Blu rays and I'm getting rear channels (I was listening to the Yes album in 5.1 DTS HD MA in full 5.1...) I'm listening on a Sony UBP X800 ...

I don't have another Blu Ray Player to check against, but I just pulled out the Best of Aretha Franklin (DVD) and I get all 4 channels, so this seems localized to the Chicago and Doobie Brothers sets....

Let me know if I could be missing anything? Thank you...

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know if there are any playback issues with these Quadio titles and Sony Blu Ray' players? I'm only getting the 2 front channels and nothing from the rears. It only seems to an issue with the last 2 Quadio's... (just checked my little listened to Chicago set ,and same problem)....

I pulled a number of other Blu rays and I'm getting rear channels (I was listening to the Yes album in 5.1 DTS HD MA in full 5.1...) I'm listening on a Sony UBP X800 ...

I don't have another Blu Ray Player to check against, but I just pulled out the Best of Aretha Franklin (DVD) and I get all 4 channels, so this seems localized to the Chicago and Doobie Brothers sets....

You are on the 4.0 and not the stereo?.

This is a known issue with the X800 unit - it doesn't play Blu-Rays configured in direct 4.0 (as opposed to 5.1 with empty center and sub channels).

EDIT: OH, SHUCKS, I HAVE BEFOWLED A POLL THREAD WITH OFF-TOPIC CONTENT.
SORRY @rtbluray

This is a known issue with the X800 unit - it doesn't play Blu-Rays configured in direct 4.0 (as opposed to 5.1 with empty center and sub channels).

Not in my case for the Chicago Quadio. (Still waiting for my Doobies.)
The X800 thrills my Yamaha AVR with the highest res quad stream it can handle, see below.

Might this problem with 4.0 have something to do with the interaction of disc spinner and AVR?
It certainly doesn't seem to be the Sony's fault, unless there are differences in revisions of firmware or something? o_O
I have two X800s and a 6500, never missed a lick.

The header across the top is the X800 display, the overlay on the right the Yamaha signal info.

IMG_4944.jpeg

The X800 thrills my Yamaha AVR with the highest res quad stream it can handle, see below.

Might this problem with 4.0 have something to do with the interaction of disc spinner and AVR?
It certainly doesn't seem to be the Sony's fault, unless there are differences in revisions of firmware or something? o_O

The header across the top is the X800 display, the overlay on the right the Yamaha signal info.

View attachment 56164
Probably should move all this stuff over to the other thread... but it does say 2/2 which I thought was the Quad? :unsure:

Hmmm, my surround set up is a little low budget and I'm using an Onkyo TX 676 for my receiver, so that may also be an issue... I'll continue to tinker.....

I wonder if it depends on your BD player HDMI setting. Whether the BD player is decoding the DTS or the AVR? Your picture shows PCM audio?

I thought the quad reel transfers I had sounded fabulous. Clearly I was wrong. This is just breathtaking. 10 all the way in every way.

EDIT! Sorry mod-ifications. Didn't know I was in poll thread. Please delete if you want to bother.

Gaah! I can't wait to hear my copy! It's out for delivery today. :)
Tonight, I will be on cloud 9. :) So will my Denon & Klipsch.

Ok, I have been playing with the settings on my X800 and my Onkyo TX NR 676 receiver and I have sound out of all 4 channels... Only problem is I'm a neophyte, so let me know if any of this makes sense or if anyone can tell what I did from this......

The display has DTS-HD Master Audio 4.0ch 192 kHZ
Bottom left of the display has AVC highlighted (which I think must mean the receiver is doing the processing (?) )

I see the DTS light on my receiver......

Steve

.... There were a few times where I had to remind myself that these are quadraphonic mixes and not 6-channel. I found myself looking over at the sub a few times expecting to see the light on, like when listening to 'Cotton Mouth' on Toulouse Street. .....
Great review, can’t wait to get my copy. What is your setup? If you use an AVR with bass management, it will reroute bass from the 4 channels to your sub(s), unles you have your speakers set as “large”.

Great review, can’t wait to get my copy. What is your setup? If you use an AVR with bass management, it will reroute bass from the 4 channels to your sub(s), unles you have your speakers set as “large”.

No, the subwoofer definitely wasn't on - it just really seemed like it was. The richness of the bass and the amount and complexity of rear channel information was really unlike anything that I'd run into before with quad mixes in particular.

To Anyone having difficulty playing QUAD issues Try setting settings using bitstream settings instead of auto on ur hdmi settings!!!

The drum intro in Cotton Mouth circles the room! And too much of that sort of thing starts to get gimmicky - Go straight to your room Mr., no dinner for you tonight 👀

And you call that sufficient drum panning? Not even one full turn.
Gentle Giant Three piece suite halfway through the Nothing At All song, now that's a drum solo encirclement of epic proportions!

nothing-at-all-drum-circle-jpg.56328

Attachments

• Nothing At All drum circle.jpg
    Nothing At All drum circle.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 904
I'd buy the album just for that track.
Sold, where do I ship it to? Just pulling your legs guys. I see fish school mentality is not something that happens only at AVSFORUM Lol.:D

Hey y'all, this is a poll thread. In 5 years, no one is going to care about any back and forth chit chat that's happening here. I always thought that was perfectly clear. There's a mod with a delete button over there, telling y'all you better beware. Better stop................... (you know the rest)

Back