Comments Inspired By Doobie Brothers, The - QUADIO [Blu-ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, so the bottom line for me is that, even though it is not my all time favorite music ( therefore I will NOT detract any points for this, which I find a bit puzzling as to why some people do, but , hey..)

I believe that it is because it should count for 30% of your vote.

30% SURROUND MIX - How good is this mix?
30% AUDIO FIDELITY - How does it sound?
30% CONTENT - Do you like it. Is it good music. Will you go back to it again?
10% OVERALL PACKAGE - Format, packaging, added value (extra discs), marbles, format, encoding, ease of play, menu layout, bonus content (videos, making of), documentation, and other things you like or don't like about it.

I believe that it is because it should count for 30% of your vote.

30% SURROUND MIX - How good is this mix?
30% AUDIO FIDELITY - How does it sound?
30% CONTENT - Do you like it. Is it good music. Will you go back to it again?
10% OVERALL PACKAGE - Format, packaging, added value (extra discs), marbles, format, encoding, ease of play, menu layout, bonus content (videos, making of), documentation, and other things you like or don't like about it.
Totally disagree it doesnt matter to me wether you like the music, I can make that decision for myself, ie I would not get anything thats Hip Hop no matter if it was the best sounding disc ever. It wouldnt be fair for me to give it a 5 because i hated the music. Why would I buy it in the first place.

Totally disagree it doesnt matter to me wether you like the music, I can make that decision for myself, ie I would not get anything thats Hip Hop no matter if it was the best sounding disc ever. It wouldnt be fair for me to give it a 5 because i hated the music. Why would I buy it in the first place.
I believe in giving everything a chance. I'm no fan of rap music either, but if it had rhythm, and musicality, I'd give it a shot and an honest review/rating.

Does anyone know if there are any playback issues with these Quadio titles and Sony Blu Ray' players? I'm only getting the 2 front channels and nothing from the rears. It only seems to an issue with the last 2 Quadio's... (just checked my little listened to Chicago set ,and same problem)....

I pulled a number of other Blu rays and I'm getting rear channels (I was listening to the Yes album in 5.1 DTS HD MA in full 5.1...) I'm listening on a Sony UBP X800 ...

I don't have another Blu Ray Player to check against, but I just pulled out the Best of Aretha Franklin (DVD) and I get all 4 channels, so this seems localized to the Chicago and Doobie Brothers sets....

Let me know if I could be missing anything? Thank you...

I had the same thing happen with my Oppo. I corrected it by moving the "HDMI Audio" setting from "LPCM" to "Auto". It was immediately obvious that something was amiss because like half the instrumentation from "Natural Thing" was missing. It was a true WTF moment.

Last edited:
well..a dream within a dream...
the starting point SHOULD be that you LIKE the kind of music you buy, cause it really don't make sense spending your hard earned cash in stuff you don't like in spite of them having it released in MCH...YES, thera are a lot of people here that do(buy everything MCH) that but they are NOT the norm, at least from where I stand..., so yes, if you are not happy with that release from a group you follow, well, it should be reflected in a very small percentage in your poll result cause , groups you like will never let you down 100%...if you think they have you have a serious problem...hell, even when Genesis went totally Pop I appreciated a lot of it..now, the fact that I don't like Nick Davis' MCH mix is another thing....
but mainly, that is the reason I would NEVER get any Stones MCH (or LP, CD or whatever) and that s why I will never leave a review of any of those discs in any poll...cause I don't like the Stones...
I LIKE the Doobies and I am so thankful they released this wonderful boxset and I am starting to appreciate their music in those LPs even more now...

Of course there is also the "Discovering" of bands you thought you'd never have guessed you'd like because you got them in MCH...(Depeche Mode, Porcupine Tree...etc.-for example-, anyone???) but I think that is another thread...

Enjoying my Doobies and did a rip to FLAC of all of them. Later I got to thinking......
These are pure quad, right? I mean no silent channels. I seem to remember remapping the rips to 5.1, or is that a dream I had?
What I'm getting at, is, my Onkyo will not play quad, only the front speakers will play from a discrete source.
So why do the Quadio discs play as they should in full glorius quad for me with no problems???

OK, since I wasn't sleeping anyway I decided to re-rip one of the Doobies. Since I already had the folders ripped to a HDD I didn't have to fool with a disc. I opened up AudioMuxer, selected a playlist from the Stampede folder and let AudioMuxer do it's thing. When it finished copying the lossless DTS and converted to FLAC, one doubleclick and I had Foobar open and playing the song. At a glance I could see it was shown as a quad channel structure, no silent channels with which to make the Onkyo happy.
So again I'm wondering, what gives? Is there some way a blu ray structure can fool the Onkyo into thinking it's seeing at minimum 5.0 instead of quad?

OK, since I wasn't sleeping anyway I decided to re-rip one of the Doobies. Since I already had the folders ripped to a HDD I didn't have to fool with a disc. I opened up AudioMuxer, selected a playlist from the Stampede folder and let AudioMuxer do it's thing. When it finished copying the lossless DTS and converted to FLAC, one doubleclick and I had Foobar open and playing the song. At a glance I could see it was shown as a quad channel structure, no silent channels with which to make the Onkyo happy.
So again I'm wondering, what gives? Is there some way a blu ray structure can fool the Onkyo into thinking it's seeing at minimum 5.0 instead of quad?

Are you sure it's the Onkyo? Mine plays 4.0 just fine. When I play a 5.0 file Foobar sees it as stream and I have to add a silent channel so could it be that your pc is causing the problem?

Is there some way a blu ray structure can fool the Onkyo into thinking it's seeing at minimum 5.0 instead of quad?
No. The difference is that when you play it as a Blu-ray disc (or backed up disc), the DTS-HD Master Audio encoding remains intact, and if this is bitstreamed to your receiver, it gets decoded correctly. The issue arises when 4.0 is fed to your receiver as PCM, whether from a disc (or backed up disc) or FLAC file.

Back