Comments Inspired By Doobie Brothers, The - QUADIO [Blu-ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
QUOTE="fredblue, post: 524743, member: 4041"]
wow what a mess the Poll for this very important release is becoming.. 🙁
[/QUOTE]
Nah just good conversation albeit slightly off on a tangent

Although I paid $112.00 for this box I had a coupon for $ 30.

So total was $82.00 , still a bargain for 4 quad blurays . And looking forward to hearing the other 2 discs
of this highly recommended quad box set.

Edit. $12 was tax.

Attachments

• 20201109_121349.jpg
    20201109_121349.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
- Following the vocals is an interesting and varied experience. The imaging of the vocals on some tracks is fascinating - as it just seems to hover in the room - and its very effective. In other cases it seems the vocals are overwhelmed by the instruments and could have been made more prominent in the final mix. o much fun to put any of these 4 albums on. Sure wish more sets like this were forthcoming. My rating is 9 but I am entering 10 because it reflects my enthusiasm for this release.

I have notice this 'low level vocal mix' in other QUAD listenings compared to their correspondent stereo mixes. As the instruments level is higher in rear channels compared with other 5.1 mixes, I think that's why the vocals level becomes comparatively lower.

When listening 5.1, specially films, I use to increase the Center channel level to hear better the dialog ove the "explosions'. BUT in QUAD mixes, you cannot do that for the vocals, like when I do sometimes for 5.1 music mixes when the main vocals are at Center channel.

I am not specially a fan of Doobie Brothers, only know the main hits. BUT YOU have talked so much good about this Doobie Brohers QUADIO release, that I finally bought it.

I have received it this morning after one month and a half purchase ago. I'm really eager to see what it sounds like.

When listening 5.1, specially films, I use to increase the Center channel level to hear better the dialog ove the "explosions'. BUT in QUAD mixes, you cannot do that for the vocals, like when I do sometimes for 5.1 music mixes when the main vocals are at Center channel.
After living in Madrid for 26 years I noticed that, besides CASTILLIAN Spanish dubbing being extremely irreverent (adding cuss words to The Simpsons??? HELL YEAH!), usually the mixes for films and series are VERY dialog heavy, as opposed to the USA mixes where the dialog is mostly buried in the mix...
I actually prefer the Spanish dubbing on many films (Amelie, South Park:the movie, etc.)

Sorry for the derail...

I find this box set a class act...was listening to Stampede the other day and it's really growing on me...the weakest one for me is "Vices"....for now...

Not sure how much the Doobies blu ray box prices have varied ...

>>Although I paid $112.00 for this box I had a coupon for $ 30.
So total was $82.00 , still a bargain for 4 quad blurays
.<<

...but I ordered mine from AMAZON a few minutes ago for $69.34
($64.28 + $5.06 tax)

Pulled the trigger after watching AMAZON's "available stock" bounce from way down to back up -- a small amount -- this week.
Some buys just have to be made when they can be and well before holiday-shipping season!

Speaking of which...

I used to patronize Acoustic Sounds for buys like this but swore off them after a horribly bad experience last year for which they offered no inducement to keep me as a regular, long-term, customer.
And their price is $79.98 anyway as well as "Not Eligible for Additional Discount"

Sometime Saturday I'll be ears-deep in Doobie quad!

Importcds has Doobie Brothers Quadio for $47

Im gonna be "taking it to the streets"
message re the GREAT RESET

please do the same not music related...my public service announcement

Rhino posted a podcast with Tom Johnson of the Doobies to talk about the new Quadio box set. It's nearly 40 minutes long and very interesting...except they don't talk about the quadraphonic mixes at all, other than mentioning they are on the discs. No questions about the mixing, his opinion of the mixes, his views on surround sound, etc. They talk about how good the hi-res stereo sounds - completely missing the whole point of the box set. That's a fail, Rich.
I haven't even listened to the stereo mixes on this box or the Chicago Quadio. I'm sure they are fine, but without the quad mixes I would not have bought either box.

Last edited:
Rhino posted a podcast with Tom Johnson of the Doobies to talk about the new Quadio box set...they don't talk about the quadraphonic mixes at all, other than mentioning they are on the discs...but without the quad mixes I would not have bought either box.

That‘s strange that they don’t even delve a little bit into the quad mixes given that the box set is called a Quadio. I suspect that Johnston and the interviewer may have never listened to the quad mixes.

Geez, I've been locked out of this forum for months now. Something about my email address... which there was nothing wrong with, so I just re-logged in with another email address. Anyway. I went with a 10. I now have all of these albums in quad, the Mobile Fidelity SACDs, and the old Captain and Me DVD-A. I guess you could say I'm covered.

EDIT: Oops, just realized I'd already voted in this thread months ago!
Good to have you back Matt. I had the same thing happen to me a while back where I couldn't log back in. Then after a few weeks I was able to. Go figure?

Geez, I've been locked out of this forum for months now. Something about my email address... which there was nothing wrong with, so I just re-logged in with another email address. Anyway. I went with a 10. I now have all of these albums in quad, the Mobile Fidelity SACDs, and the old Captain and Me DVD-A. I guess you could say I'm covered.

EDIT: Oops, just realized I'd already voted in this thread months ago!
I have had the same thing happen a couple of times. It’s some sort of glitch. You have to contact [email protected] and she will fix it for you. It doesn’t guarantee it won’t happen again, but she is able to get you back in.

Hey there, yeah similar to DAC1961 I'm wondering if there were any settings or recommendations to get this sounding A+?

Clearly this set (and Chicago) is blowing a lot of minds—but mostly I'm sitting here wondering what the heck is going on... I'm on a Sony UXB-700 myself, feeding into a Marantz SR8015, and although I've got sound coming out of all four speakers, the rears are screamin' while the fronts seem super muted... the vocals are WAY back in the mix... and while I'm not as familiar with the Doobies, with the Chicago I'm having exactly the same issue and I know the music well... and while I know quad is its own beast and expectations need to be set, there's no way this is right (the quad Atom Heart mother on the Floyd early years box is perfect). Core vocal lines and melody lines that are present in the fronts, are SUPER buried and overpowered by horn pads and harmonies and things in the rears...

I've gone through a few pages in this thread and no tweaks/suggestions have helped thus far (and hey, even if that's something like "you should add this particular player to get the most out of these discs because it can decode them right", I'm game—I want to be floored by this instead of confused!). Thank you!

Last edited:
Clearly this set (and Chicago) is blowing a lot of minds—but mostly I'm sitting here wondering what the heck is going on... I'm on a Sony UXB-700 myself, feeding into a Marantz SR8015, and although I've got sound coming out of all four speakers, the rears are screamin' while the fronts seem super muted... the vocals are WAY back in the mix... and while I'm not as familiar with the Doobies, with the Chicago I'm having exactly the same issue and I know the music well... and while I know quad is its own beast and expectations need to be set, there's no way this is right (the quad Atom Heart mother on the Floyd early years box is perfect). Core vocal lines and melody lines that are present in the fronts, are SUPER buried and overpowered by horn pads and harmonies and things in the rears...

Several of the more knowledgable members here have suggested that the mastering engineer may have intentionally reduced some of the midrange information on the quad mixes as a way of emphasizing the high-end and low-end content. If you read through the poll threads, there's a pretty diverse set of opinions on how balanced both sets sound--some people say they sound fine with clear vocals, others are experiencing buried vocals and overloud rears, etc. I thought the vocals did tend to get lost on the Chicago set, but they sound pretty well-balanced to me on the Doobies.

How far back in your room are you sitting? And are you running any kind of EQ profile on your AVR (Audyssey, etc)?

Back