Comments Inspired by POLL - Talking Heads - REMAIN IN LIGHT [DVD-A DualDisc]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What would be the purpose of purchasing the DVD-A?
To have a back-up hardcopy of the DVD-A. Also, as someone said above, DVD-A discs, as opposed to DualDiscs, are thinner and might be easier on our players' mechanisms. That doesn't worry me much, but eh, for < $15 for a great album with a great mix, with better packaging (IMO) than the The Brick, I'm in.
For me, there is also value in having a stand-alone CD for my car.

I remember the individual editions were around $35. Then that brick started showing up on Ebay for $60. (Speculation gone wrong? Or could it be a boot?) So I got me the whole set instead of just Remain in Light and maybe Fear of Music. :D

Remain in Light remains a masterpiece!
The previous albums are all good.
They "went MTV" following RIL and those remain unlistenable drek. Cool box set though.

There was something weird about ripping them. It was probably when DVDA Explorer was the only ripping app and was going through its growing pains and revisions. Worked out in the end.

I have the Brick Box, never had a problem with it.
What would be the purpose of purchasing the DVD-A?
Is the Duall Disc lossy and the DVD-A lossless?
Has anybody heard a difinitive ear test, I'm inclined to not purchase.
No difference in audio.

Never thought I'd hear Speaking in Tongues unlistenable drek, but that's one reason I love this place!
The DVD-A of Speaking In Tongues has a fantastic alternative version of Burning Down The House in surround. On all the albums, several tracks use different takes or mixes from the original album tracks - particularly on Naked.

There seem to be a lot of copies of RIL double disk out in the wild for basically the same affordable price. It is the other albums that are scare and pricey now.
I only ever picked up dualdiscs of RIL and Fear of Music in the past and never followed thru with the others. Oh well......

Never thought I'd hear Speaking in Tongues unlistenable drek, but that's one reason I love this place!
Exactly what I was thinking. I would love to hear why because its an opinion i've never heard before. Its fascinating to think about!
I'd take Speaking In Tongues and Little Creatures over 77 and More Songs any day of the week :)
I think i'd take '77 over Little Creatures, but definitely Little Creatures over More Songs.

FWIW, the plentiful availability of the Remain In Light CD/DVD-A vs. the other Heads sets isn’t anything new — I bought it on Amazon in December 2019 for $17.41 plus tax.

I’m glad *one* of them is still around at a reasonable price, at least — I’d love to pick up Speaking In Tongues, but those prices have mostly gone off the rails, or they’re only from foreign sellers on Discogs where the postage is huge. It looks like a new sealed copy sold on eBay a couple of weeks ago for *$10* — where are those deals when I’m looking? :oops:

There seem to be a lot of copies of RIL double disk out in the wild for basically the same affordable price. It is the other albums that are scare and pricey now.
I only ever picked up dualdiscs of RIL and Fear of Music in the past and never followed thru with the others. Oh well......
I've noticed Remain In Light being the most available of their albums too, since I started collecting in 2011, both as DualDisc and as CD/DVD-A. I had the impression that it may have been their top selling album, but no, Wikipedia states that the albums that followed reached better sales volumes (platinum vs. gold). So I scratch my head as to why it's remained to "available".

"Fear Of Music" is my favorite surround mix of them all. But all of their albums sound fantastic in suround sound, even "True Stories" which a lot of people dont like as much as the others. I just got the Blu Ray of the movie "True Stories" which I have been waiting for for years. Good movie, underrated like the cd.

Titch said:
Repressing? Are you sure this isn't just wishful thinking? This has never been out of stock at Amazon UK. I'm not sure they are repressing the series as there is no listing for the other long-out-of-print CD/DVD-A Talking Heads albums.
Yeah; that's weird. Maybe somebody found a box of leftovers in the back of a closet somewhere.
Maybe discovered inside a forgotten pallet from
Imelda Marco's shoe closet/warehouse ?
Well it was just now delivered. It's the real thing.

MVIMG_20210219_172436.jpg

Yep, definitely not the same as the original 2006 pressing:

View attachment 63456

Maybe that new Warner Bros logo is a sticker they slapped on old stock?

Even the text to the right of the logos is a little different between the two. There are 5 lines on the new one and 6 on the old. @Beefalo What does the disc look like? Does it have the new Warner label on it somewhere?

Back