Commercial Matrix Quadraphonic Cassettes?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'll eat my top hat if either of those Tommy tapes are the QS-encoded Quintaphonic mixes!

Not Quintaphonic (5 channel) !!

4channel QS ,with a mono center discrete channel. The cassette ,LP , and CD can only carry 2channel QS matrix with the inclusion of a derived mono discrete center . I repeat discrete MONO 5TH channel in the front center array.

👨‍🍳 you want ketchup with that 🎩 or H P Sauce ?

Given the quintaphonic mixes relied on the dedicated Centre channel on the film magnetic print, plus QS encoding on the film Left and Right channels, it's impossible for cassette or any other stereo medium to carry it.

5 channel yes !! 4 channel encode no .

Last edited:
The Surround Discography only lists the Japanese QS cassette tape for Dark Side. Do you know something that everyone else doesn’t know? 🤔

You infer that "EVERYONE "knows about matrix quad ??!! That's not true , only a handful of members are familiar with matrix quad .👫📚

Not Quintaphonic (5 channel) !!

4channel QS ,with a mono center discrete channel. The cassette ,LP , and CD can only carry 2channel QS matrix with the inclusion of a derived mono discrete center . I repeat discrete MONO 5TH channel in the front center array.

👨‍🍳 you want ketchup with that 🎩 or H P Sauce ?

what's the derived mono discrete center?
do you mean a phantom Center derived from 2-channel or something else?

can you please show me a version (LP, MC, CD, any format, i don't mind) of the OST album that has the mixes from the Quintaphonic track of the movie in QS-encoded 2-channel form?

the hat stays intact until there's proof of a 2-channel version of the OST album that features a QS-encode of the movie's Quintaphonic soundtrack mix.

Adam ,

Patently no , but somewhat interfered with as with the inclusion of the center( 5th mono) channel attests to . It's still 4channel QS though . Just not a standout QS QUAD recording.
FWIW there're are a few other QS encoded Albums in the same league.

:)

what mix is on the OST QS-encoded version?

it doesn't sound like a downmix of the movie Quintaphonic mix?

I had only heard about EV Stereo-4 (demo tape), rumored SQ and Dolby MP encoded compact cassettes, I didn't realize so many other matrix encoding systems were used (maybe improved compact cassette manufacturing methods made matrix encoding more practical).

Kirk Bayne

Well,if you notice ... they were all superior tape duplication. Using DAAD CHROME tapes. Now Of course some were better than others. These were the high end of cassettes . Most notably : BMG , Telarc , BASF , Concord ,
Intersound , CBS/Columbia , Warner , Angel /EMI, EMI/Electrola , Varese Sarabande , AIG , and VOX .

PS plus some Q Sound cassettes.

can you please show me a version (LP, MC, CD, any format, i don't mind) of the OST album that has the mixes from the Quintaphonic track of the movie in QS-encoded 2-channel form?

the hat stays intact until there's proof of a 2-channel version of the OST album that features a QS-encode of the movie's Quintaphonic soundtrack mix.

Oh yeah.....where ? :unsure:

FWIW , 5 channel Quintaphonic, which is 4channel encoded matrix with a discrete MONO center,( the 5th channel)....... can not be included correctly on a 2 channel discrete encoded stereo tape , to be decoded back In to 5 channels.

How about some Ranch dressing with that hat ?🤠

I am not doubting you, but there must be some kind of explanation why these were SQ encoded while the other cassette versions weren’t.

Well you know in North America EMI sent the SQ encoded tapes to Capitol Records ,upon their request for the Quad tapes from the 2 Pink Floyd albums. They sent SQ encoded tapes.
Capitol probably was not specific about obtaining copies of the Discrete masters for issue in Q8 ,but somehow upmixed the matrix encoded tapes for Q8. To this day it pisses me off that Capitol did not issue vinyl records in SQ as supplied by EMI .

MoFi obtained original SQ encoded masters for their use. In Germany they, (Electrola) , issued SQ disc's (and tapes) for a longer time period than EMI , my guess is that consumer support was better. I think the same could be said of the Australian market.

Last edited:
Well you know in North America EMI sent the SQ encoded tapes to Capitol Records ,upon their request for the Quad tapes from the 2 Pink Floyd albums. They sent SQ encoded tapes.
Capitol probably was not specific about obtaining copies of the Discrete masters for issue in Q8 ,but somehow upmixed the matrix encoded tapes for Q8. To this day it pisses me off that Capitol did not issue vinyl records in SQ as supplied by EMI .

MoFi obtained original SQ encoded masters for their use. In Germany they, (Electrola) , issued SQ disc's (and tapes) for a longer time period than EMI , my guess is that consumer support was better. I think the same could be said of the Australian market.

Well maybe you could upload a picture of the Electrola cassette so I can see what to look for? I did find an Italian tape that ‘is’ marked SQ..........the I Nomadi one. I had seen it a few times before but just thought it was classical music or something. I tracked down the actual music on YouTube after much research, and the music is quite good. Kind of a light progressive rock sound and very agreeable. I ordered it from Discogs but shipping was more than the actual tape as it is coming from Italy.

No and it shouldn't, it's a mono center channel added to a 2channel QS mix .

What about the VHS version on 2-track stereo? It has the surround sound.

All they had to do to add the discrete center channel to the encoded QS mix was to add .71 of the center channel to each of the two channels.

The reason most of the records, cassettes, etc. are not in QS is that Polydor, the issuing record company, was signatory to CD-4.

Well maybe you could upload a picture of the Electrola cassette so I can see what to look for? I did find an Italian tape that ‘is’ marked SQ..........the I Nomadi one. I had seen it a few times before but just thought it was classical music or something. I tracked down the actual music on YouTube after much research, and the music is quite good. Kind of a light progressive rock sound and very agreeable. I ordered it from Discogs but shipping was more than the actual tape as it is coming from Italy.

Yes I used to have that "I Nomadi" PDU/EMI SQ Cosmic Courier(Italian) on LP . And a few other PDU SQ albums on vinyl. Such as a couple of Ash Ra Tempel , Cosmic Courier vinyl albums.
Being as it and most of those Cosmic Courier were single inventory SQ quads , I think you ordered the real deal.
BTW : Was it also available on C D* ?

Also you mentioned you had suspected Quad cassettes . Can you let me know which ones ?

*compared to cassettes in matrix quad , CD' s are most desirable for matrix quad.

😉

What about the VHS version on 2-track stereo? It has the surround sound.

All they had to do to add the discrete center channel to the encoded QS mix was to add .71 of the center channel to each of the two channels.

Yes i think so.......and also Stereo laserdisc , and BetaHifi .

Yes I used to have that "I Nomadi" PDU/EMI SQ Cosmic Courier(Italian) on LP . And a few other PDU SQ albums on vinyl. Such as a couple of Ash Ra Tempel , Cosmic Courier vinyl albums.
Being as it and most of those Cosmic Courier were single inventory SQ quads , I think you ordered the real deal.
BTW : Was it also available on C D* ?

Also you mentioned you had suspected Quad cassettes . Can you let me know which ones ?

*compared to cassettes in matrix quad , CD' s are most desirable for matrix quad.

😉
You have this one Fizzy, and is it SQ encoded?

https://www.discogs.com/release/789814-Popol-Vuh-Einsjäger-Siebenjäger

Back