Comparing upmixes

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arconada

This thread is for comparing upmixes.

There are several methods of upmixing stereo to surround material. Could be software, could be hardware.
But what method is good, what is not? It is hard to say without listening. Therefore I propose this thread.

The problem is that we can't publish copyrighted material here, so we are limited to Public Domain material or material with an appropriate Creative Commons license.
  1. Material is Public Domain (PD) in general when the composer (not the artist) died more than 70 years ago.
  2. Material with a Creative Commons license is only allowed to be uploaded here when it is released under the licenses CC-BY or CC-BY-SA. The other licenses restrict the use so much that it can not be published here.
Finding material that applies is a bit of problem. Youtube has an audiolibrary with material that is publishable. The Creative Commons website offers a search function for material with CC licenses. Take care that you only use CC-BY or CC-BY-SA licensed material.

If you upload an upmixed example here, be sure to also upload the source address and the stereo file, so every one can check it is free to use.

The upload size is limited. Keep that in mind when making material for this thread.

Last edited:
For a start I upload this marine choir with a traditional march. I noticed there is limit in the file size we can upload, so the upmix is limited in time. The source is YouTube It is PD. I used Adobe Audtition with a self made script.

Attachments

• Anchors_Aweigh_Chorus_Only 50.flac
    7.2 MB · Views: 184
  • Anchors_Aweigh_Chorus_Only.mp3
    3.5 MB · Views: 193
Last edited:
The big issue that i see with the >70-years material is that back in the late 40-early50's there were few studio trickery that were used for mixing, so that does rule out a lot of software that relies on stereo analysis and separation, phase relationship and so on. It's all mono on the boot.

The big issue that i see with the >70-years material is that back in the late 40-early50's there were few studio trickery that were used for mixing, so that does rule out a lot of software that relies on stereo analysis and separation, phase relationship and so on. It's all mono on the boot.

That's right, but there are still sources where you can find free stereo material. Anyway, this thread is not about the type of recordings, but about the quality of the upmix hardware and software.

Last edited:
Back