Dual Disc Comprehensive DualDisc Listing from "sukothai"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the Toby Keith Dualdisc Shock'n Y'all and the format is 24 bit/ 48 khz. It doesn't state lossless anywhere, so assuming it is not. So what is the quality difference between this resolution and lossless and the SACD version, and how noticable is it?

what disc player have you got? bring up the info menu while Toby's spinning and the player should show PPCM (Packed Pulse Code Modulation) or MLP (Meridian Lossless Packing) for the 'Advanced Resolution' DVD-A stuff (unless it's Al Green's Hits DVD-A.. but that's another little LPCM story ;)) together with the sample rate & bit depth info.

what disc player have you got? bring up the info menu while Toby's spinning and the player should show PPCM (Packed Pulse Code Modulation) or MLP (Meridian Lossless Packing) for the 'Advanced Resolution' DVD-A stuff (unless it's Al Green's Hits DVD-A.. but that's another little LPCM story ;)) together with the sample rate & bit depth info.

I just found the MLP 5.1 display. It was too easy to find (which is why I probaby never saw it before), thanks for advice. I normally check under a function key to see it, but this is shown under the display window but only on my tv, which is normally not on.

Been picking up more of these as I can find them cheap and reading Fredblue's recommendations (since he owns everything). Still shopping for others, but the cheaper they are, typically equals the lesser quality DD surround unfortunately. It is actually annoying searching for "dualdisc" as anything in that format or multiple disc sets seem to show up, but this compilation is such a time saver, thanks again for putting things like this together.

I have the DJ Jad Milano - New York - it is a dualdisc, but is stereo only. The cover says 5.1 but the disc is not 5.1, it is 2.0.

vinylguy4

Just remembered about this one and my copy plays back in 5.1 Dolby Digital for sure.. the rears are kinda muted relative to the other channels but there's definitely stuff happening back there.. when I get a min I'll extract the audio and have a look at the individual channels to see what's happening.. quite an interesting set really

Just remembered about this one and my copy plays back in 5.1 Dolby Digital for sure.. the rears are kinda muted relative to the other channels but there's definitely stuff happening back there.. when I get a min I'll extract the audio and have a look at the individual channels to see what's happening.. quite an interesting set really

Couple of quick pics of the DJ Jad "Milano - New York" DualDisc Menu's..

I tried playing my copy again and does indeed have a 5.1 track.
But if I choose the 5.1 track and then play, it reverts to 2.0. While it is playing, I hit the audio button and again choose the 5.1 track and then it
will play the 5.1(using Oppo 83). Still, not much in the rear channels.

vinylguy4

Simone Cristicchi - Fabbricante di canzoni
Learning about this title a fortnight ago, I found too little info on it, then decided to secure one off the eBay eventually.
Alright, it says "5.1" on the cover repeatedly and then on the disc menu itself. Yet, that option triggers a 2.0 Dolby Digital track (funnily enough, it sounds somewhat superior to the LPCM one to these ears). Oh well, so no 5.1 anywhere on this release - too bad, I really like the music.
1581659421084.png

Last edited:
Wow, I didn't even know this existed. I've got the album in digital format, and I personally enjoy the music. But I wasn't aware of a dual-disc. Are you sure this is an official release? Anyway, have you checked in both the audio and video folders using DVD Audio Extractor? This would have likely be authored as a DVD Video, and am not surprised you found a DD track on it... Can you provide more info on what you see on the video and audio folders of the DVD side?

Yeah, I'm 100 % sure this release is a real deal. Also, it seems to be not so rare, as I found several copies for sale and went with one for 13 EUR (26 shipped).
Now I don't use DVD Audio Extractor, but here's a DVD Shrink printscreen, plus one from AudioMuxer:
1581680108585.png1581680248760.png1581680311485.png1581789275160.png

Last edited:
From what I remember there were a couple of Dual Discs advertised as 5.1 but were really just stereo. This I believe is one of them. Can't remember the other.
I also seem to remember something like: Contents may be in 5.1 (but are speaking generally about all "potential" DualDiscs.)
* Correction (sorry) it says Full Album in 5.1; maybe can check it out in MakeMKV?

Last edited:
I happened to bump into a Sony dualdisc release schedule from August 2005. As we now know, all these titles got released (either with LPCM 2.0 only or with added DD 5.1 track) eventually, except the following three:

Santana - All That I Am
Anastacia - Pieces Of A Dream
OutKast - My Life In Idlewild

This is the first time I see these mentioned, would be interesting to find out if there were surround mixes completed.
1581792505457.png

Back