Computer Monitors (Speakers) to upgrade to?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just understand that the "computer" part in "computer speakers" is a meaningless marketing term.
There are only... speakers.

There are powered speakers. Simply a speaker with an amplifier literally built into the speaker enclosure.

The output from that 1/8" jack (on your computer's built in audio interface) is line level. Plug it into any amplifier. (Separate or built into a powered speaker.)

USB connecting? That's a little USB audio interface built into a product. (Probably not a very good one either!)

You can always get any speakers you please. And then any amplifier channels you please. Buy 'combo' powered speakers if that's convenient and the components in question make the cut for you.

Rule of thumb ends up being that any little powered speakers you find called "computer speakers" are usually the worst pieces of shit you could waste money on. They're trying to trick people into thinking you need some special cryptic product because "computer".

Reactions: JNL
If you want quality speakers for use with a computer, they should be near-field. And will require a sub if you want any low end, given their small size. So I'd search for near field speakers as opposed to computer speakers.

Found this article, was wondering if anyone uses these iLoud's, I may want to upgrade my speakers in the future and was wondering what others like?

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/ik-multimedia-iloud-mtm-powered-monitor-review
I use these. Equalized them through REW measurements and I am satisfied.

Actually no, I use their smaller siblings. These: IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitor Review
I mount them on small speaker stands to raise them to ears level. And I have the stands standing on acoustic foam to reduce vibrations to the desk.

Last edited:
Back