Computer Won't BOOT. Need Help Please...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Quad Guy

Quadraphonic Preservation
Staff member
I tried restoring to a previous version of Windows to the Windows.old folder from Windows 7 following Microsoft's instruction's using the "Command Prompt" menu:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971760/

Long story short, Now the computer won't Boot and I can't even get to the BIOS settings. It does turn on and I'm able to open a drive, but I don't think the drive is starting. It was working fine until I did the instructions.

Any idea's what happened or what can be done?

Thanks.

Ok I seemed to have fixed it.. For now.

It seems that if you unplug the computer and hold the power button for 30 seconds, then plug the computer power in again and hit the on button the computer will boot again.

I wonder what happened?

Except windows 7 is messed up as there are no "Users." So the original instructions sort of worked in that it changed things, but I'm unable to boot from any Windows disc. It keeps going to the hard drive even when hitting F10 and trying to boot from the DVD drive using Windows XP or Windows 7.

Windows 7 did a "Partition table repair" and it also says there's no OS on the computer. But won't let me boot from any disc.

Windows 7 does a wierd thing with the C: drive. I actually makes a non-lettered drive to store the boot info.

Have you tried putting in the install CD, running setup, and then selecting "Repair existing Windows Installation", or something to that wording?

It will go and reinstall the OS, but leave your registry alone. It will also redo the boot partition and boot tracks. Make sure you select the choice that says "Your programs and files will be saved" or something to that order.

Back