Configuring Speakers for Playing DVD-A on Atmos System

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qualityaudio

Hello all. I am about to upgrade my system from 5.1 to Atmos 7.1.2, and as I'm not going to be using the same model speakers for the additional channels, I'm not sure which channels I should put my existing speakers on. I want to keep the rear speakers that I have now on the channels that the new system will be using for 5.1 surround music on DVD-A, but the nomenclature for Atmos is different than Dolby 5.1. Should my existing rear speakers be on the "Left and Right Surround" channels and placed on either side of the seating position, or on the "Left and Right Rear Surround" channels, place behind the seating position. On a 7.1 non-atmos system, they would be on the "Rear" channels, with 2 "Back" channels unused.

In other words, which channels does Atmos use for 5.1 sources?

Hello all. I am about to upgrade my system from 5.1 to Atmos 7.1.2, and as I'm not going to be using the same model speakers for the additional channels, I'm not sure which channels I should put my existing speakers on. I want to keep the rear speakers that I have now on the channels that the new system will be using for 5.1 surround music on DVD-A, but the nomenclature for Atmos is different than Dolby 5.1. Should my existing rear speakers be on the "Left and Right Surround" channels and placed on either side of the seating position, or on the "Left and Right Rear Surround" channels, place behind the seating position. On a 7.1 non-atmos system, they would be on the "Rear" channels, with 2 "Back" channels unused.

In other words, which channels does Atmos use for 5.1 sources?
I found a video on Emotiva's YT channel that seems to have the answer I'm looking for. The 4th and 5th channels in the bed layer (a new term I just learned) will stay the same. I can then choose whether the next two speakers are back surround or "width" channels. After that, on the MC1, you can then choose to have 4 height channels in a 7.1.4 configuration, or give up one pair of these for an additional pair in the bed layer, for 9.1.2.

Back