DTS-CD Conversion of mix 7.1, or Dolby Atmos to mix dts-6.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miilda

The thought occurred to me that I would create my own 6.1 mix from mix 7.1. But there is a consideration of how to make one of the two discrete side channels (the rear center channel) into what happens in those two discrete channels. Another option occurred to me, to make a 6.1 channel from Dolby Atmos. That is, the Atmos channel would somehow be mixed into the back center of 6.1, so that the information contained in Atmos would not be missing from the recording. The goal of these things is to make Atmos and 7.1 a mix of 6.1, which is better than 5.1. What do you think about it? ;-)

Another option occurred to me, to make a 6.1 channel from Dolby Atmos. That is, the Atmos channel would somehow be mixed into the back center of 6.1, so that the information contained in Atmos would not be missing from the recording. The goal of these things is to make Atmos and 7.1 a mix of 6.1, which is better than 5.1. What do you think about it? ;-)

I don't think you will get widespread agreement from the members here that 6.1 is automatically better than 5.1, especially the way you are planning to implement it.

It is my understanding that the Atmos information is not lost from a 7.1 mix if Atmos decoding is not used at playback. The Atmos information is just never re-routed to the proper speakers (the heights).

Atmos is not a discreet format in the way straight 7.1 or 5.1 is. There are no separate digital channels for Atmos. The only way to isolate the Atmos channels would be to decode the Atmos track to analog and then re-digitize the extra channels. You could then combine the Atmos channels into a single channel and add it as the rear center.

Last edited:
I don't think you will get widespread agreement from the members here that 6.1 is automatically better than 5.1, especially the way you are planning to implement it.

It is my understanding that the Atmos information is not lost from a 7.1 mix if Atmos decoding is not used at playback. The Atmos information is just never re-routed to the proper speakers (the heights).

Atmos is not a discreet format in the way straight 7.1 or 5.1 is. There are no separate digital channels for Atmos. The only way to isolate the Atmos channels would be to decode the Atmos track to analog and then re-digitize the extra channels. You could then mix the Atmos channels into a singe channel and add it as the rear center.

But from 7.1 to 6.1, that\u0027s the solution. So clamp the two side channels into one mono channel so that it is the rear discrete center- ;-)

But from 7.1 to 6.1, that\u0027s the solution. So clamp the two side channels into one mono channel so that it is the rear discrete center- ;-)
Yeah, that you can do.

Take the two surround rears from the 7.1 and mix them to mono. Assign that as the single rear channel in the 6.1. It should work fine.

Yeah, that you can do.

Take the two surround rears from the 7.1 and mix them to mono. Assign that as the single rear channel in the 6.1. It should work fine.

That\u0027s exactly what I mean. It occurred to me with the classic music 'Zelenka - The Caprissios', which has tracks on Bluray-Audio in 5.1 and 7.1 mix. The mix of this work does not seem discreet to me in any way, but in general, 7.1 could be made discrete 6.1 from 7.1.

Back