ConvertaQuad-style

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
furui_suterioo
Swollen pinch rollers are about to release deck-damaging liquified rubber goo! In my experience, that's when to open the tape and change the roller, before that stuff happens.
The goo was already released inside the cart still wet. I actually let the roller dry out for about two weeks till there was no sign of moisture anymore so I think its safe now. I can't seem to find rollers of the same size though, might end up making them myself.
I finally found suitable donor rollers for the swollen carts(luckily for me) after posting here awhile back I had put the old ones in some tissue in hopes of further drying even though I had already dried them out good *I thought. Took a look at them today and low and behold you were right, they were soaking wet with goo once again. Now the rubber is in the trash but I still have the plastic centers of the rollers(for some reason). :)

Yup. I saved the centers too, and read that someone had luck with a certain car heater hose sliced to fit. Bad idea. I don't recommend that at all, I messed up a Monkees tape that way (but saved it mostly).
The donors I've found are plastic but work fine. Some tapes have the right size.
Rubber goo is a mess to clean up though, innit?

Yup. I saved the centers too, and read that someone had luck with a certain car heater hose sliced to fit. Bad idea. I don't recommend that at all, I messed up a Monkees tape that way (but saved it mostly).
The donors I've found are plastic but work fine. Some tapes have the right size.
Rubber goo is a mess to clean up though, innit?
Yes, I also have perished belt tar goo all over my hands from yet another portable 8-track player acquisition: National Panasonic RF-7400 (jdm) for $19. It was also filled with spider webs but is showing signs of life.
20210930_180416.jpg

Yes, I also have perished belt tar goo all over my hands from yet another portable 8-track player acquisition: National Panasonic RF-7400 (jdm) for $19. It was also filled with spider webs but is showing signs of life.
View attachment 72042
Got a new belt in the National RF-7400, cleaned, lubed, demagetized and it the best sounding portable 8-track I've heard. It has an interesting wide stereo setting called "Sound Scope" which sounds sort of like the rear channels of Dynaquad, the widening effect actually works if the box is in front of you.
20211004_175008.jpg
20211004_174207.jpg

Back