Converting MCH discs 101: Overview

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the Foobar DVD-A plug-in still available (or needed)...what is it called? The SACD one has gone the way of the dodo i recently noticed....

Thanks for all the advice :)

I tried this briefly earlier today using both sets of ISO and they do work :) So now i have a way to extract the DVD-Audios and also as a SACD backup to ISO2DSD which isn't 100% reliable. Thanks all!

Now...for my next quandary on my attempt to play 100% of my backups on the 205: the ultra tricky 3D blu-ray. Sure there's ISO, but does anyone know a way to play BDMV 3D folders? Yes you can "MakeMKV "it (and then you need to convert that to m2ts for Oppo play)...but i prefer the entire thing with all the extras etc. Plus my discerning eyes in a compare tell me the MKV version loses some of the depth... Anyway, of course a regular BDMV folder can be made to play with that genius app someone came up with...but anyone figure out how play do a 3D version successfully?

I tried this briefly earlier today using both sets of ISO and they do work :) So now i have a way to extract the DVD-Audios and also as a SACD backup to ISO2DSD which isn't 100% reliable. Thanks all!

Now...for my next quandary on my attempt to play 100% of my backups on the 205: the ultra tricky 3D blu-ray. Sure there's ISO, but does anyone know a way to play BDMV 3D folders? Yes you can "MakeMKV "it (and then you need to convert that to m2ts for Oppo play)...but i prefer the entire thing with all the extras etc. Plus my discerning eyes in a compare tell me the MKV version loses some of the depth... Anyway, of course a regular BDMV folder can be made to play with that genius app someone came up with...but anyone figure out how play do a 3D version successfully?
I am not sure what genius app you are referring to, but I have had good luck playing BDMV folders, including 4k with Dolby Vision, by putting them under an AVCHD folder with my Oppo 203 player. I am not sure why 3D would be any different in this regard. I dont have a 3 D TV so can't try this, though I do have a few 3D discs I can try with.

DVD-Audio extractor for one doesn't read ISO as source

DVDAE will read the DVDA ISO file structure if you first open the ISO in Windows Explorer (double click on the ISO in Windows Explorer). You can then use the DVDAE option to Open Files, navigate to the opened ISO which gets a temporary drive letter.

Now...for my next quandary on my attempt to play 100% of my backups on the 205

Budget for a media player. Much faster UI and better experience when playing music and movies. Kodi plays from BD ISOs but there’s limited support for 3D these days.

I am not sure what genius app you are referring to...

I'm referring to BD Modifier, which somehow goes in and changes a couple tags to allow the Oppo to read the structure. It cannot do it 'raw' (just goes into the folder itself).

As for 3D, the ISO does fine, but if you extract the BDMV folders from it, you only get 2D to play (at least from my testing). Something to do with the .ssif files I believe...

Budget for a media player

I actually do have a couple that should work....Himedia Q10 Pro and Zidoo X9s (that one plays the elusive MKV MVC [full frame-packed 3D] format). But at least with my Cambridge 752BD (Oppo 105), in Kodi I only get 2ch versions of everything and no hi-rez (Dolby TrueHD or DTS MA) no matter what the set mode. I have all analog system (Conrad Johnson equipment) so the blu-ray player is my only multimedia HDMI input. I need to try it again with the 205 and see if its any different.

I actually do have a couple that should work....Himedia Q10 Pro and Zidoo X9s...

Some devices can’t do multichannel but most do. Have you set the Kodi audio output to ‘HDMI Passthrough’ and ‘Number of Channels’ to 5.1? For bitstreaming DTS and Dolby you need to set those to options on in Kodi audio settings and in Video settings set the sync option to sync screen to video input.

Yes. It is available. The SACD plugin is also available. In fact a new version was recently posted, far from going the way of the Dodo. They both work as good as ever. Once you set them up, I think you will be very happy. You will also need the flac executable for converting your files to flac.

Yes...you are right. Getting close to happy and Foobar does batch where i can throw all the ISOs in one folder and let it go :) The final issue is....how in the world do i configure it to not dump everything in the root directory in a mass clump? There has to be a way to do separate artist/album directories inside the main folder, but i can't figure it out. This "default: setting is definitely NOT it--does anyone know what i would choose from the given list to accomplish this?

There has to be a way to do separate artist/album directories inside the main folder,

It’s the sub folder name in your screen shot that can create artist and album name folders.

I use this:
Sub-folder name:
artist \ album

File name:
nn. title

Last edited:
Reactions: GOS
Got it...that's better. Speaking of Foobar...is there a way to set up DLNA on it to use as a media server? As great as J River is with most things, i'm fed up with its gawd-awful handling of CUE files. It either can't find them or can't play them properly 90% of the time. Both Foobar and even the Oppo have no issue--yet if J River even finds the tracks, it will usually play from the start no matter which entry you pick. For all it does, they can't seem to fix this seemingly simple thing...it's been YEARS now.

I see it...so which of these (if not both) would i need to SEND foobar media to the Oppo 205, which is definitely a renderer. In other words, just like J River works (Oppo is seen inside the app)......nothing more complicated or fancy than that. The 205 doesn't need to see Foobar material.

upnp.PNG

A thought: I do all my bluray ripping into FLAC using makemkv and foobar. However you don’t get the menues and occasional images/videos on some discs using that technique. As much as I appreciate the effectiveness of FLACs, I can sometimes miss the romanticism of jumping through the menues like a bluray player. Anyone of you doing this, playing the raw makenkv files and being able to switch sound or tracks in a PC or media player solution?

I believe you can rip the entire BD to its unprotected disk folder/file structure and play it back from a hard drive with Kodi media player software using the disc menus, but I’ve not tried.

Kodi can run on many devices from PCs to tiny SOCs.

I just bought a new Odroid N2 from South Korea (about 120 USD incl FedEx shipping to AU) which runs Kodi and supports 4K/1080p video and Atmos/DTS-HDMA Passthrough via HDMI. It arrives on Monday so will post here on QQ once it’s up and running. It’s also got a good stereo DAC built in.

There’s another interesting device coming in August: Khadas VIM3 that will also run Kodi it’s a bit more expensive but comes completely built, minus a case and power supply, but free shipping. I’m probably going to buy that too, just to check it out. That could be the killer media player as no assembly of internals.

Last edited:
I just ripto individual FLACs for audio. Individual MKVs per song for concerts. Keep interviews and docs as separate MKVs too. Kodi will allow you to change audio tracks.

I believe you can rip the entire BD to its unprotected disk folder/file structure and play it back from a hard drive with Kodi media player software using the disc menus, but I’ve not tried.

Kodi can run on many devices from PCs to tiny SOCs.

I just bought a new Odroid N2 from South Korea (about 130 USD incl shipping) which runs Kodi and supports 4K/1080p video and Atmos/DTS-HDMA Passthrough via HDMI. It arrives on Monday so will post here on QQ once it’s up and running. It’s also got a good stereo DAC built in.

There’s another interesting device coming in August: Khadas VIM3 that will also run Kodi it’s more expensive but comes completely built, minus a case and power supply. I’m probably going to buy that too, just to check it out. That could be the killer media player as no assembly of internals.
Yes. Indeed. I rip all my blurays 4k & otherwise to disc with the their full directory structures via makemkv. They can be played back on several of the Android based players or PC based ( NUCs or otherwise). On PCs, MPC-HC, Kodi or VLC work well.

I am too lazy to go through any other work converting. Besides, for the most part I enjoy consuming most media in their native format.

Thanks HomerJAU for starting this awesome thread. I wouldn't have known where to start but have managed to backup all my DVD-V/As and BDs on three HDDs (a pair and a spare) using the software you recommended in this thread's first post. Can't do much with my SACDs other than hope they last though. Not to worry.

Back