Cool....yet worthless - Fisher CD-4 Model 3109

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks a piece of kit to generate CD4 signals to test the demodulators they designed in their amps.
I think this was discussed briefly elsewhere, with no conclusion as to its real function. My guess was that it was used CD-4 type Discrete FM broadcasting. But it looks like your actually right:

https://www.vintageshifi.com/repertoire-pdf/pdf/telecharge.php?pdf=Fisher-CD-4-Service-Manual.pdf
The 3109 unit is mentioned on inside front cover of the manual. In the indiviual tune up steps it describes how to set up the unit's output for various alignments on the Fisher CD-4 demodulator. Cool and maybe useful to someone serving CD-4 boxes. Not me!

I thought that it's intended purpose was obvious, to properly adjust the Fisher CD-4 demodulators. It would be kind of cool, but not worth anything like the asking price. Why do people put things like that up for sale without cleaning it first!

I remember communicating with the infamous Quad Bob, after I won the auction for the Sansui QSD-1. You could still communicate with the other bidders back then. We talked about recapping various vintage units and he recommended against recapping any CD-4 Demodulator as it could affect the alignment. If you had one of those units and knew how to use it you would be able to recap/restore all those vintage units with the knowledge that they were still set up right!

Were Fishers built in the US? I thought that by that time almost everything came from Japan?

It belongs in the Quadraphonic - surround museum in somewhere U.S.A. (or elsewhere), along with the Quadraphonic jukebox and Quad mixing board with joystick we also have seen on eBay in past years...

Too bad such a place doesn’t exist. At least for the moment.

Edit:
Can we post some photos before the listing goes away. It is an interesting one of a kind unit.

It belongs in the Quadraphonic - surround museum in somewhere U.S.A. (or elsewhere), along with the Quadraphonic jukebox and Quad mixing board with joystick we also have seen on eBay in past years...

Edit:
Can we post some photos before the listing goes away. It is an interesting one of a kind unit.
A museum would be very cool. So much old Quad stuff has and will end up in the landfill or sent to a third world country for recycling. Even as an avid collector, I can only accumulate so much "junk" myself.
I always thought that owning a jukebox would be rather cool, although somewhat impractical from a sound wise perspective. You could stock the jukebox with your personal favourite singles, even those that didn't chart. The Quad decoders that I've seen for jukeboxes appear to be passive Dyna style devices. It's hard to imagine how they would do much for an SQ encoded 45. They might do slightly better on QS. Considering that many 45's of the time were mono and that even the popular stereo titles would of been basically worn out, it's hard to imagine a passive Quad decoder being very effective in that setting. Excessive noise from the back speakers could of turned people off of Quad rather than turning them on to it!

If you had one of those units and knew how to use it you would be able to recap/restore all those vintage units with the knowledge that they were still set up right!
True Ken, but the trouble is how do you test the test equipment?! The seller says this thing hasn't been switched on for 40 years so the chances of it working are next to zero. Assuming you could get it working you'd then have to calibrate it for it to be of any use - tricky without even more test equipment!

Interesting thread.....
Checked out the ebay link, first thing that came to my mind was a certain JVC CD4-50 that was turned into a parts unit from a repair attempt.

Scroll down.....and nearly did a spit take when I read ..."he recommended against recapping any CD-4 Demodulator as it could affect the alignment."

Oh really, NOW you say that!

If only someone could get this in the hands of someone that would know how to use it to service all those aging CD4 demodulators.

True Ken, but the trouble is how do you test the test equipment?! The seller says this thing hasn't been switched on for 40 years so the chances of it working are next to zero. Assuming you could get it working you'd then have to calibrate it for it to be of any use - tricky without even more test equipment!
You make a good point, however I've found that vintage equipement to be very robust so chances are that it would still function. Still might be best kept as a museum piece!

A museum would be very cool. So much old Quad stuff has and will end up in the landfill or sent to a third world country for recycling. Even as an avid collector, I can only accumulate so much "junk" myself.
I always thought that owning a jukebox would be rather cool, although somewhat impractical from a sound wise perspective. You could stock the jukebox with your personal favourite singles, even those that didn't chart. The Quad decoders that I've seen for jukeboxes appear to be passive Dyna style devices. It's hard to imagine how they would do much for an SQ encoded 45. They might do slightly better on QS. Considering that many 45's of the time were mono and that even the popular stereo titles would of been basically worn out, it's hard to imagine a passive Quad decoder being very effective in that setting. Excessive noise from the back speakers could of turned people off of Quad rather than turning them on to it!
I always thought the "quad" jukeboxes were designed to just "be cool." I mean, after all, how good would quad have to be in the diner or dive bar where the jukebox was located? I'm kinda guessing it was all to show just how hip the place was rather than how the music sounded. 🙂

I always thought the "quad" jukeboxes were designed to just "be cool." I mean, after all, how good would quad have to be in the diner or dive bar where the jukebox was located? I'm kinda guessing it was all to show just how hip the place was rather than how the music sounded. 🙂
True, but also what was the value of stereo, with those closly spaced speakers!

Edit:
The closest we have to a surround sound museum is us, and this collection of QQ threads. I daydreamed in years past how it would be neat, if I were a millionaire, to buy up near mint quadraphonic equipment (working or not) with boxes and manuals, and put them on display in a museum. Just daydreams.

Back