HiRez Poll Cooper, Alice - BILLION DOLLAR BABIES [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Alice Cooper - BILLION DOLLAR BABIES

• Total voters
The 5.1 mix is pretty good I think. Much cleaner sounding than the CD-4 and Q8 versions.
Most tracks are presented quite well in surround.

But I most definitely prefer the quad version of the song "Generation Landslide". Has a better ending than the DVDA song with it's shortened fade out.
Too bad it wasn't included as a bonus.

The big plus is the bonus live surround from the Houston show.

Rated 8 by me.

This is my favorite AC album and I've had the DVDA version ripped to computer for about 10 years now. I rarely listen to it though, for a few reasons. For one, I don't understand why Ezrin felt the need to use alternate vocal takes in this mix. I've been listening to the stereo version for over 40 years and the vocal takes on that are what I'm used to and like. Why mess with that? For me it completely disrupts the flow of the album. I'm referring to "Raped and Freezin" specifically. Also, the end of "Generation Landslide" should fade into "Mary Ann" and the end of "I Love the Dead" is strangely different. Why would you do that? Finally, this mix lacks all of the power and crispness of the stereo version. No matter how loud I crank this version it fails to match the sound of the stereo, and that is completely unnecessary. I rate the material at 9 but this version gets a 5 for those reasons.

I haven't listened to it in a long time, but I think it is just too safe of a mix? Clear but
I haven't listened to it in a long time, but I think it is just too safe of a mix? Clear but a boring mix, and not fitting of the music?
I could forgive the boring mix if not for the other points I mentioned, but I agree there are many missed opportunities here.

I like it better than the recent Quadio release which sounds too dry to me.
This version has superior dynamics and that bass.Oh mama!
It's not as discrete as the OG quad mix but I think it sounds far better,more cohesive

Back