DVD/DTS Poll Cornelius ‎– Five Point One + PM By Humans [DTS 96/24 DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Audio-DVD of Cornelius - Five Point One + PM By Humans

• 10: Great Fidelity, Great Surround, Great Content

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • 9:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 8:

• 7:

• 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround, Poor Content

• Total voters

timbre4

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on the CD/DVD 5.1 24/96 DVD-V release from Matador by Cornelius - Five Point One _ PM by Humans

Cornelius - Five Point One.jpg

I’ve been hyping Cornelius around here since 2008. First, thanks to Tim for getting the polls going. I remain equal parts hopeful and skeptical that there is renewed interest. The first of 3 surround discs by Cornelius, all with eye candy companion videos, Five Point One is a great intro to this talented artist. Lush avant- pop with dashes of electronica flourishes, and gorgeous harmonies. As with the others, it’s a Demo quality surround mix - a 10!

Count me interested. Picked this up cheap from a thrift store that sells via Amazon. Oh. My. Gawd. This is surround! Absolute knockout. It's 5.1, but you'd swear it's Atmos--there are sounds that seem to be coming from pinpoint locations all around the room.

The videos are amazingly clever and beautiful, and they so complement the music (and visually emphasize elements in the surround mix) that it's hard to imagine the music without them. The music itself is gorgeous, though. There aren't that many records that make me grin like an idiot from sheer pleasure when I hear them, especially not on first listen. This record has joined that club. I read that Cornelius used to be referred to as "the Japanese Beck," but @elmer described him elsewhere as a little bit DJ Shadow with a helping of Stereolab and just a few dashes of Brian Wilson. I can't beat that.

Back