Cornelius "Sensurround and B Sides"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmer

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
This flew under my radar - came out in September, CD/DVD set with 5.1 DTS mix on the DVD accompanied much like the previous 5Point1 with lovely, entrancing abstract videos. If you're familiar with Cornelius then this will make complete sense to you.

If you're new to Cornelius, he's a Japanese composer/performer who is a little bit DJ Shadow, with helping of Stereolab with just a few dashes of Brian Wilson, Tipper and BT. It's very happy, poppy electronica with synth washes, borrowed sounds and layers of gorgeous vocal harmonies - doesn't matter that it's Japanese - it's mainly oohs an ahs. The videos are companions to the songs which are companions to the videos if you get what I mean - they should be experienced together.

The DTS mix is stunning - I tried just listening and watching for a few minutes but I couldn't tear myself away - this is definitely funhouse stuff and if you're looking for some great demo material, both audio and visual - there's plenty here. There are a few extras including some footage from the live tour which looks pretty wild. The CD is a bonus disc of "B" sides - including some acapella vocals courtesy of Petra Haden (daughter of bassist extroadinaire Charlie). If you want a treat, check out Petra's complete acapella cover CD of The Who's "The Who Sell Out" - her version of "I Can See For Miles" - including her vocal take on the one note guitar solo is cracklin'

I love when I stumble on stuff like this - found it in Virgin Times Square - but it can be had through most online etailers. A definite must have(y)

ps - This is on Warner Japan and has been licensed to Everloving Inc for distribution in North America - you can go here and sample some tracks and even order direct http://everloving.com/web/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=29

Thanks for posting this. I agree, both Sensurround and Five Point One are excellent surround releases. I also agree that the DTS mix on both are very well done. I own Five Point One and checked out Sensurround through Netflix but am now considering purchasing it too.
The price of Five Point One on Amazon makes it a pretty good deal, though the second disk of remixes (on standard redbook) didn't do much for me for that release. Haven't heard the Sensurround b-sides yet but they sound more promising.

In my quest to find "Sensurround", I learned a couple things I'd like to share with the group.

1. As far as I can tell, it is available in two incarnations: as "Sensurround + B Sides" and as "Sensuous + Sensurround."

"Sensurround + B Sides" is the more common version, it is a CD & DVD set, and it appears to come in a DVD-sized case. The DVD has videos of all the songs from "Sensuous" in DTS, and the CD contains the B-sides from "Sensuous".

"Sensuous + Sensurround" is a UK product, a CD & DVD set, and it comes in a super jewel box. The DVD is the same as above, but the CD is the original "Sensuous" disc.

I took a chance on the "Sensuous + Sensurround" version, which arrived today. Please note that if you are interested in this version, it IS region-free. The back insert says "region 2", as do some retailer listings, but rest assured that it is, in fact, region-free.

So in a nutshell you have a choice between getting this with the b-sides in a bigger case, or with the original CD in a super jewel.

2. The second thing I learned was in two parts. Part 1 is that some eBay sellers don't actually stock the items they sell. Part 2 is that some eBay sellers go by many names.

If you search for Sensurround on eBay, please beware that White Elephant Media, Outpost Media, Moon Base Media, and Mediamusement are all the same company. Please also note that they DON'T STOCK Sensurround. KevHead Media doesn't stock it, either.

I ended up with the "Sensuous + Sensurround" version because CargoSellsMusic DOES stock it. I bought it Monday, and it's here today. CargoSellsMusic claims that they "only list what we have in stock."

As far as the disc goes, I love it. But this is weird artsy stuff, probably not for everyone!

I hope this information is helpful to anyone who might be seeking out this disc.

If you're new to Cornelius, he's a Japanese composer/performer who is a little bit DJ Shadow, with helping of Stereolab with just a few dashes of Brian Wilson, Tipper and BT. It's very happy, poppy electronica with synth washes, borrowed sounds and layers of gorgeous vocal harmonies - doesn't matter that it's Japanese - it's mainly oohs an ahs. The videos are companions to the songs which are companions to the videos if you get what I mean - they should be experienced together.

This description is bang on!!!

Quirky stuff... I like it!!

Count me in as another Cornelius fan...got both of his Surround DVD-Vs...really excellent mixes....as for the music, you have to be in the mood..not very "deep" but a lot of fun!

Como lo dicen en España en Español?

Sorry... but its easier for me to understand in spanish, as Im kinda chilean. :D

Back