DVD/DTS Poll Cornelius - Sensurround [DTS 96/24 DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Audio-DVD of Cornelius - Sensurround

• 10: Great Fidelity, Great Surround, Great Content

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • 9:

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • 8:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7:

• 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround, Poor Content

• Total voters

timbre4

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on the CD/DVD 5.1 24/96 DVD-V release from Matador by Cornelius - Sensurround

Cornelius - Sensurround 1.jpg
Cornelius - Sensurround 2.jpg
Cornelius - Sensurround 3.jpg

This is my original post from 2008 - still holds true today. Thanks again to Tim for the poll!

This flew under my radar - came out in September, CD/DVD set with 5.1 DTS mix on the DVD accompanied much like the previous 5Point1 with lovely, entrancing abstract videos. If you're familiar with Cornelius then this will make complete sense to you.

If you're new to Cornelius, he's a Japanese composer/performer who is a little bit DJ Shadow, with helping of Stereolab with just a few dashes of Brian Wilson, Tipper and BT. It's very happy, poppy electronica with synth washes, borrowed sounds and layers of gorgeous vocal harmonies - doesn't matter that it's Japanese - it's mainly oohs an ahs. The videos are companions to the songs which are companions to the videos if you get what I mean - they should be experienced together.

The DTS mix is stunning - I tried just listening and watching for a few minutes but I couldn't tear myself away - this is definitely funhouse stuff and if you're looking for some great demo material, both audio and visual - there's plenty here. There are a few extras including some footage from the live tour which looks pretty wild. The CD is a bonus disc of "B" sides - including some acapella vocals courtesy of Petra Haden (daughter of bassist extroadinaire Charlie). If you want a treat, check out Petra's complete acapella cover CD of The Who's "The Who Sell Out" - her version of "I Can See For Miles" - including her vocal take on the one note guitar solo is cracklin'

I love when I stumble on stuff like this - found it in Virgin Times Square - but it can be had through most online etailers. A definite must have. 10!

FWIW, this was nominated for the Surround Grammy back in 2008 - and deservingly so.

I second everything @elmer says so eloquently above. What an absolute joy in every sense, audio and visual. Cranking this right now with my newly tweaked system (and room) to minimize buzz and rattle on the low frequencies... I've got it loud and crisp... a stellar way to cap a crazy work week. Sitting here by myself, smiling and saying out loud "this is freaking awesome". (y)

A "10" with zero hesitation.

I actually saw him/them on this tour back in '08 at the TLA in Philly—I remember when they played "Gum" and used the same visuals on this disc on a big screen behind them... it was PUMMELING. And absolutely glorious.

I actually saw him/them on this tour back in '08 at the TLA in Philly—I remember when they played "Gum" and used the same visuals on this disc on a big screen behind them... it was PUMMELING. And absolutely glorious.
I was at that show! Fantastic live experience. I remember he pulled a fellow from the audience up into the stage and used his hand to play a theremin solo. (Talk about the experience of a lifetime.)

Back