Quad LP/Tape Poll Country Joe & The Fish: The Life and Times of/From Haight Ashbury to Woodstock [SQ]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate 'From Haight To Woodstock'

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5: Mediocrity Central4

• 1: Sux

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Vanguard VSQ 40004/40005, quad edition released 1973. Stereo originally Vanguard VSD 27/28.

Record 1 [40004]:

Side 1:

1. I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin'-To-Die Rag
2. Bass Strings [Rag Baby version]
3. Flying High
4. Porpoise Mouth
5. An Untitled Protest
6. Who Am I

Side 2:

1. Grace
2. Waltzing in the Moonlight
3. Death Sound Blues
4. Janis
5. Sing Sing Sing

Record 2 [40005]:

Side 1:

1. Superbird (Tricky Dick)
2. Not So Sweet Martha Lorraine
3. Marijuana
4. Rock and Soul Music/Love

Side 2:

1. Crystal Blues
2. Masked Marauder
3. Love Machine [Woodstock]
4. Fish Cheer/I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin'-To-Die Rag [Woodstock]

ED :)

10. Mostly good mixes, fantastic tunes. The Q4 is a single tape and abbreviated.

Country-Joe--The-Fish-The-Life-And-Time-382959.jpg

Going by memory, the collection is generally pretty good quad with the exception of the first two tracks. The first was a demo, while "Bass Strings" was from the 1965 Rag Baby 45--literally, since I remember there being surface noise on the original stereo edition of the album. So those two were 'fake quad' as I remember. After that, clear quad sailing--er, fishing, you might say...

ED :)

I had this on a quad reel for awhile. It was the Ampex version. One of the songs was just plain old stereo. Nothing at all in the rears. What a waste.

I'd guess the song was I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin'-To-Die Rag DEMO

And of course the album was abbreviated. They could have at least chosen quad tracks.

As Ed mentioned, there are a couple tracks off the Rag Baby EP, which predate all the Vanguard tracks. in stereo, they are a logical addition, since they were long OOP when this compilation appeared. They do make the Quad experience less than stellar. As Ed said, the rest of the tracks are well mixed.

At the risk of being blasphemous, I strongly suggest the CD reissue of ALL the Rag Baby tracks: country_joe_and_the_fish_peter_krug_-collectors_items_the_first_three_eps.jpg

I had this on a quad reel for awhile. It was the Ampex version. One of the songs was just plain old stereo. Nothing at all in the rears. What a waste.

I'd guess the song was I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin'-To-Die Rag DEMO

And of course the album was abbreviated. They could have at least chosen quad tracks.

And yet on their Greatest Hits Q8, Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin'-To-Die is in real Quad. It's not good Quad, sounds like it came from 4-track, but it's true 4-channel.

Back