Quantcast

COVID purchases

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

madship

There have been very few bright spots in 2020 with COVID-19 and the murder hornets. A few for me have been a closer relationship with my son, getting tired of peek TV and reading more, and doing a few window box gardening projects around the house. Most apropos to this forum has been my rediscovery of my love for surround music. From discs I already owned to the discovery of new artists, this has be a great year for me when it comes to music in 5.1. It may get really expensive now that I have heard about, and understand, Atmos and Aero 3D.

For the most part I don't buy physical music anymore, unless there is a surround component. Over the last 10 years that has mostly been Steven Wilson. 2020 started out like any other year and my initial pre-COVID purchases were SW related, but have started expanding into more artists and producers. Here are my purchases this year. What have you purchased, are any of them new considerations to you?

Would have purchased regardless of COVID

Porcupine Tree - In Absentia Deluxe
Marillion - Script for a Jester's Tear

Titles I've always wanted

King Crimson - Starless and Bible Black
King Crimson - Lark's Tongue in Aspik
King Crimson - Islands
King Crimson - Thrak
King Crimson - Reconstruction of Light
King Crimson - Power to Believe

Titles I missed

Marillion - Misplaced Childhood
Rush - Farewell to Kings (Wilson)

COVID re-inviguration & new to me

Pineapple Thief - Versions of the Truth
Marillion - Brave
Mary Fahl - From the Dark Side of the Moon

Pre-orders

Steven Wilson - The Future Bites (2021, but should be 2020) obviously would have purchased
Ultravox - Vienna I have loved Ultravox since I was a kid
Tears for Fears - Seeds of Love COVID/SW - if it wasn't 2020, I probably would have passed. Would love a surround release of The Hurting
Jakko Jaksyk - Secrets and Lies All of the KC above make this one obvious

Rediscovering this forum has exposed me to a ridiculous number of titles I want and ways to acquire them. I've adjusted the best listening area in the house to solo music, unfortunately surround music is not a family passion. Since the basement is cold, and I have man-o-pause, this area never became the family movie place I'd hoped for, as of this week, it has become my office since I am still working from home.

2020 has been a huge year for me and surround purchases, probably the greatest number of titles since Sound and Vision introduced me to Porcupine Tree (2005). I would love to hear how the pandemic has affected your surround passion.

Q-Eight

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Do they all have to be music related?? Because despite losing my job in mid-January, between my severance package, CERB, and soon EI, I've still managed to get things done this year. ( I have finally started looking for a new job. I applied for some post office positions that were brought to my attention. So don't give me a hard time! :LOL: )

Music related:

Paid the piper for the Japanese CD-4 of Elvis in Memphis.
Won a near-mint dust cover for my Akai 280D-SS Reel

Other:
Bought new tires and finally put the Performance Pack wheels on my Mustang. I only bought the wheels in 2017!
Put a new Clutch in my Daytona, had the A/C charged (and it works!!!), finally figured out why the little b$%^$% was randomly stalling and also restored it's headliner and T-top seals.
Rebuilt the shifter, found a bunch of parts and serviced the Overdrive that will soon go in my AMC Gremlin.
Found some rust-free Doors for my Hornet.

Not to mention got a BUNCH of stuff done around the house. Replaced the ceiling in the basement back room and added sound deadening so not EVERYBODY in the house is forced to listen to my music.

You know, all in all, it's been kind of nice to just step away from everything and concentrate on ME for a while. I would never describe myself as selfish.... but.... I kinda needed this. I'm a little disappointed the Portland Swapmeet was cancelled, and so was Kenosha and the 50th Anniversary of the Gremlin show. But next year we get a mulligan on that.
I miss not being able to zip down into the states to check my P.O. box, and be able to purchase such outlandish and frivolous items like RC Cola, Red Vines and Hostess Fruit Pies. (Seriously, we don't have those in Canuckistan!! Yes, I have a sweet tooth. Yeah, I'll die from Diabetes. Big whoop. Wanna fight about it? :ROFLMAO: )

madship

Do they all have to be music related?? Because despite losing my job in mid-January, between my severance package, CERB, and soon EI, I've still managed to get things done this year. ( I have finally started looking for a new job. I applied for some post office positions that were brought to my attention. So don't give me a hard time! :LOL: )

Music related:

Paid the piper for the Japanese CD-4 of Elvis in Memphis.
Won a near-mint dust cover for my Akai 280D-SS Reel

Other:
Bought new tires and finally put the Performance Pack wheels on my Mustang. I only bought the wheels in 2017!
Put a new Clutch in my Daytona, had the A/C charged (and it works!!!), finally figured out why the little b$%^$% was randomly stalling and also restored it's headliner and T-top seals.
Rebuilt the shifter, found a bunch of parts and serviced the Overdrive that will soon go in my AMC Gremlin.
Found some rust-free Doors for my Hornet.

Not to mention got a BUNCH of stuff done around the house. Replaced the ceiling in the basement back room and added sound deadening so not EVERYBODY in the house is forced to listen to my music

You know, all in all, it's been kind of nice to just step away from everything and concentrate on ME for a while. I would never describe myself as selfish.... but.... I kinda needed this. I'm a little disappointed the Portland Swapmeet was cancelled, and so was Kenosha and the 50th Anniversary of the Gremlin show. But next year we get a mulligan on that.
I miss not being able to zip down into the states to check my P.O. box, and be able to purchase such outlandish and frivolous items like RC Cola, Red Vines and Hostess Fruit Pies. (Seriously, we don't have those in Canuckistan!! Yes, I have a sweet tooth. Yeah, I'll die from Diabetes. Big whoop. Wanna fight about it? :ROFLMAO: )
I love everything you have done during the lockdown, way more than me.

But for the this forum I was thinking music related and specifically surround. We had to replace tires in my wife's car and the the Honda I had with bad A/C was getting too long in the tooth to keep fixing, unfortunately before COVID, when the interest rates plummeted. Can't complain tough 15 years old and nearly 405,000 miles.

Attachments

Q-Eight

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Hardest part right now with me anyway in regards to the Quad hobby is I can't cross the border to get my P.O. box mail.
It's $4 to ship an 8-track pretty much anywhere in the continental US, but $20 to ship it to my door in Canuckistan. (and that's US$. So, add 30% + another 12% for tax an you'll see why shipping to Canada is just not an affordable option.) And now apparently, our Postal Workers are not working. This would explain why a couple of my tracking numbers show as reaching Canada and have moved NOWHERE in 3 weeks.

So, I've had to work on other hobbies. I've even combined my love of Quad, 8-tracks and Cars, since 3 of my rides are vintage, they have Vintage Quadraphonic tape decks.
I'm not just a one trick pony! I'm terrible at many things! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

ummagumma

I picked up a new copy of "Starless and Bible Black" after a futile attempt to flatten an old warped record

I found out this new release was actually sourced from the original master tapes, which were presumed lost, and are better than all the previous versions including vintage, since they were all dubbed from a 2nd gen master. or something like that?

maybe it was all marketing balony :D but it sounds great

popshop

400 Club - QQ All-Star
@madship a closer relationship with your son is a wonderful thing. Kudos.
I edit sports so I didn't work for many months. I've been writing and recording music at the most productive pace I ever have. I've also been mixing in 5.1.
I live alone, so I have had all the time in the world to do what I want. Some high highs and some low lows certainly.
I have made very few purchases, but admire your original post. Why not King Crimson's Red? ;)
I will order Petty's Wildflowers set, and Harrison's ATMP if they ever announce it. It's a shame there won't be 5.1 of course.
I did get a firestick and height speakers for Tidal but I can't say I would recommend that. :)

madship

@madship a closer relationship with your son is a wonderful thing. Kudos.
I edit sports so I didn't work for many months. I've been writing and recording music at the most productive pace I ever have. I've also been mixing in 5.1.
I live alone, so I have had all the time in the world to do what I want. Some high highs and some low lows certainly.
I have made very few purchases, but admire your original post. Why not King Crimson's Red? ;)
I will order Petty's Wildflowers set, and Harrison's ATMP if they ever announce it. It's a shame there won't be 5.1 of course.
I did get a firestick and height speakers for Tidal but I can't say I would recommend that. :)
Thank you, we did a lot of volleyball and anime together. If only I could get him interested in music, and get him to sit still long enough to appreciate surround.

Red I already had. The KC purchases completed my collection of 40th anniversary studio recordings.