HiRez Poll Cowboy Junkies - WHITES OFF THE EARTH NOW!! [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of the Cowboy Junkies - WHITES OFF THE EARTH NOW!!

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround, Poor Content

• Total voters
Well, again, I haven't heard it yet, I just question some (okay, most) of what I am reading.

I never heard the stereo version of this when it first came out. I still have never heard the stereo version.

This SACD is my only hearing of this album. The surround on this SACD is not what sells me. It's the sound (fidelity, bass, fullness, the songs, the music, the singing, the emotion).

Maybe this SACD isn't better than the stereo album (I'll never know) but it certainly can't be worse, if, as you say, the surrounds are just ambience.

SACD provides a fuller frequency spectrum than CD anyway and I don't have a turntable so there is no way I'd be able to hear this album sound better.

I'm just glad people are still talking about this album.:)

Last edited:
I never heard the stereo version of this when it first came out. I still have never heard the stereo version.

This SACD is my only hearing of this album. The surround on this SACD is not what sells me. It's the sound (fidelity, bass, fullness, the songs, the music, the singing, the emotion).

Maybe this SACD isn't better than the stereo album (I'll never know) but it certainly can't be worse, if, as you say, the surrounds are just ambience.

SACD provides a fuller frequency spectrum than CD anyway and I don't have a turntable so there is no way I'd be able to hear this album sound better.

I'm just glad people are still talking about this album.:)
If you think that one sounds good you really need to get a copy of Trinity Session (not "Revisited", but the original). I don't believe it exists in surround. You can hear the dust kicked up by the strings on that one.

If you think that one sounds good you really need to get a copy of Trinity Session (not "Revisited", but the original). I don't believe it exists in surround.
The Trinity Sessions was recorded straight to UHJ Ambisonic surround using a single calrec microphone. So decode with the matrix decoder that you have

The only matrix decoder I have is Dolby Pro Logic (I think). Does that give a nice result?
Don't know as I have a UHJ decoder. Pro logic is very limited. DP2 much better, but if it sounds better to you than stereo you can't go wrong.
I would suspect the Surround Master or a modern receiver would do a pleasurable decode but not truly accurate

Reactions: GOS
Back