HiRez Poll Cowboy Junkies - WHITES OFF THE EARTH NOW!! [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of the Cowboy Junkies - WHITES OFF THE EARTH NOW!!

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this SACD release from Mobile Fidelity. (y) :phones (n)

Attachments

• cj.jpg
    cj.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 486
This one is a big surprise. While remastered to SACD Stereo and SACD Surround from vintage recording, the sonics are excellent in SACD Stereo.

The SACD Surround is created from a 2 track Ambisonic Mic master tape using an upmix algorithm. Here again, excellent results - save for an occasional element.

Highly recommended. I'd rate this one, and the Rickie Lee Jones SACD, as the sleepers of the year in Hi Rez Surround so far. Both much more interesting than expected !

The High Fidelity Review story on it is over at http://www.highfidelityreview.com/news/news.asp?newsnumber=15437803

This is a very interesting, very atmospheric disc. I had not heard the original release before I picked this up. Sonics are fantastic and the typical Junkies low-key approach comes across with impressive clarity. The process by which the surround mix was created is noted above but the mix does not sound manipulated to me. Someone on another forum noted the one problem with this mix which involves the volume level in the rears. Simply put, they are loud and at times threaten to overwhelm the content coming from the fronts further away. This can be quickly resolved by turning down the rears to taste on the fly (if your receiver allows you this option). Still, I've been listening to this a lot and I am very impressed by the music and the quality of the sonics. A 9 for me.

This is a very interesting, very atmospheric disc. I had not heard the original release before I picked this up. Sonics are fantastic and the typical Junkies low-key approach comes across with impressive clarity. The process by which the surround mix was created is noted above but the mix does not sound manipulated to me. Someone on another forum noted the one problem with this mix which involves the volume level in the rears. Simply put, they are loud and at times threaten to overwhelm the content coming from the fronts further away. This can be quickly resolved by turning down the rears to taste on the fly (if your receiver allows you this option). Still, I've been listening to this a lot and I am very impressed by the music and the quality of the sonics. A 9 for me.

Agreed. Mobile Fidelity did an excellent job on this one. A must have Rock Surround Sound SACD.

Agreed. Mobile Fidelity did an excellent job on this one. A must have Rock Surround Sound SACD.

Thanks for the recommendation! What a wonderful recording. This one's going to get a lot of play. Warm, personal, enveloping, dynamic, detailed and Bluesy. What more can I say? I love it! (y) (y)

Dennis

Very Nice! Listened to it back to back, Just couldn't get enough first time thru. Folks may want to turn down thier sub's before the first listen.

...Folks may want to turn down thier sub's before the first listen.

you got that right! this thing'll really make your walls shake. in fact, when i play this my wife complains her knick-knack shelf is gonna self-distruct :D. so when she's around, the only way i can listen to this at "appropriate" levels is with headphones (where it also sounds phenomenal).

What a great record! How did this thing elude me for 20+ years? Sure, I've heard the Cowboy Junkies before, but I never considered myself a fan. Until now. "Whites Off Earth Now!!" is an awesome album. I love the stripped-down, bluesy, ethereal feel. The guitars are brilliantly played and recorded. The vocals are moody and evocative, but unfortunately, sound congested and constrained, as if they were recorded in a bathroom or something. That's my only complaint. I wish the vocals sounded as open, airy and clear as the guitars.

I was prepared to hate the surround mix... everything I read smacked of pseudo-surround. I'm happy to have my expectations proved wrong. No, this isn't some big surround production. It's an intimate, enveloping, holistic surround presentation that fits the mood of the record perfectly. In no way does it sound fake or cheesy. It sounds very natural and acoustically accurate. I did not get the impression that the rear volume needed to be turned down.

The vocals are moody and evocative, but unfortunately, sound congested and constrained, as if they were recorded in a bathroom or something.

The liner notes say the recording was made in a garage. They did test runs and liked the sound, so they ended up recording the whole session there.

I really like the sound and the mood. This disc takes a spin frequently around here.

This is an interesting one..... So this is an up-mix & a surround sacd from Mobile Fidelity - did they do any others?

This is an interesting one..... So this is an up-mix & a surround sacd from Mobile Fidelity - did they do any others?

This was the only one they did. Interestingly, since the 2 channel SACD track is Ambisonic encoded, music fans with Meridian processor/preamps can check out the album that way - as well as listening to the 5.1 SACD Surround track.
I'd recommend the SACD if you can find a copy.

Is anything still in print from MoFi/MFSL that is surround or did they ban surround altogether there?

Back