Music DVD Poll Cream - Royal Albert Hall 2005 (2 Discs)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-V "Cream - Royal Albert Hall 2005"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 2 - Poor Mix, Poor Content, Poor Packaging/Graphics

• 1 - Complete waste of plastic

• Total voters
(y) I just posted my thoughts on the concert last night at MSG - an awesome show. However, I should point out that it was identical to the set and sound of the the DVD. I was lucky enough to get ahold of some comp tickets courtesy of a very good friend. The DVD does a great job visually and aurally. And as I stated on the other post, unless you had 10th row orchestra seats ( I did not) the DVD offers the "best seat in the house." Bottom line, if you are a fan of Cream (even a casual fan, like my wife who was rockin n rollin at the show) you can't go wrong with a $20 investment in this package. The extras are really just some interviews along with a few alternate takes. But it is a worthwhile investment nonetheless.

elmer said:
you can't go wrong with a $20 investment in this package.
Just why does it cost 35 Euro over here (over US$41) :eek:
Better wait for special offers :eek:

BTW Eric Clapton continues to amaze live

7 The music is a blast from the past. Those guys are OLD, well, so am I. Although they looked a bit worse for wear they delivered the goods. Musically this is what I like to hear, real songs with real words and musicians that can really play their instruments. The 5.1 sound is "interesting". Clapton is in the right front, Bruce is in the left front and Ginger Baker is mixed in surround!! I appreciate Jack Bruce’s playing and singing a lot more after seeing this video. Recommended.

Watched the entire show this morning. Great performance, must have been too cool to be there (or at Madison Square Garden - lucky Elmer!). The surround mix was very good for a live performance. The interviews and alternate versions were a nice added touch. I gave it a nine, just short of spectacular.(y)
Once again I had menu screen issues, I'm pretty sure it is just my player. I have a Pioneer Elite DV-47a, (one of the very first universal players on the market, now 4 years old) and perhaps they didn't have all the bugs out yet. That's what I get for being the first kid on the block with the new toy. But this is only the 2nd disc I have had trouble with, the other being a Dual Disc, so that's not too bad considering it play's everything else without a hitch! I was able to access the 5.1 DTS using the audio button on the remote and the bonus features using the search mode. When the disc was loaded it went straight into play mode with PCM stereo as default, but no menu screen to be found. My inexpensive Sony DVD-Video player had no problems. If anyone else experiences similar problems please let me know, I'm currious.

Gets a very rare perfect "10" from me - but I was always a fan.
The mix is superb, and the video proves we simply do not need BRD or HD DVD and all the stupid expense involved with it.
Audio is either PCM stereo or DTS - no Dolby Digital. But I don't see that as a bad thing.

If you like Cream - you cannot go wrong with this.

Didn't realize that I hadn't voted on this. Fantastic DTS sound and video. Great to see them back together to play some of my favourite music of all time. "We're Going Wrong" is stupendous. A 10.

Got this in HD, Superb.

That being said, I missed the "blitzed out of their minds and amps set to 11" experience for which they were known. I guess I was just born too late...

I listened to this disk three ways:

Stereo
Multichannel
Stereo with PLIIx

The 2.0 PCM (1.5mps) interpreted via PLIIx sounded better than the DTS 5.1 (640kps) through my system. But all were good.

Didn't vote in the Poll because it is for DVD-V.

Got this in HD, Superb.
The 2.0 PCM (1.5mps) interpreted via PLIIx sounded better than the DTS 5.1 (640kps) through my system. But all were good.

Didn't vote in the Poll because it is for DVD-V.
Are you sure that was DTS :confused: or was it Dolby Digital?
DTS is at least 768 kps and you would expect full bit rate 1509 kps on a HD disc or even DTS96/24 and why not DTS-HD?

Hmm, you could vote for content and surround mix if you like.

Are you sure that was DTS :confused: or was it Dolby Digital?
DTS is at least 768 kps and you would expect full bit rate 1509 kps on a HD disc or even DTS96/24 and why not DTS-HD?

Hmm, you could vote for content and surround mix if you like.

The DTS Core stream can be as low as 768kbps in HD and Blu Ray.
With such a low rate as this however, I would also expect to see DTS-HD Master Audio on the disc or DTS-HD High Resolution.
However, it is still possible to use just DTS Digital Surround, at the bitrate of 768kbps.
This is why I still do not think that the Blue Laser formats are going to do anything for us in multichannel land. They are primarily VIDEO formats.
And as this is primarily a MUSIC disc, personally I would much, much rather have SD video - or even better, no video at all and DVD-A lossless.
I am not interested in looking at these guys, I want to HEAR them.

Last edited:
Hi Gesomeone,

I could not confirm or deny this on the Rihno site so I have posted your question on the AVS forum to see I can get a definitive answer.

The DTS Core stream can be as low as 768kbps in HD and Blu Ray.
With such a low rate as this however, I would also expect to see DTS-HD Master Audio on the disc or DTS-HD High Resolution.
However, it is still possible to use just DTS Digital Surround, at the bitrate of 768kbps.
This is why I still do not think that the Blue Laser formats are going to do anything for us in multichannel land. They are primarily VIDEO formats.
And as this is primarily a MUSIC disc, personally I would much, much rather have SD video - or even better, no video at all and DVD-A lossless.
I am not interested in looking at these guys, I want to HEAR them.

I sure wish someone lived near by who could show me how to get the best out of my Audio/video set up!

I see a lot of terms here that are built into my Onkyo 905,Toshiba XA2, PS3BD,I know i'm hearing some of these settings but not how to get the best out of the Equipment,only had it for a few weeks.
the 905 has an amazing number of capabilities!
I found out about ALL of this from the AVS forum...man i'm in system overload from the last couple of months of there forum,now i find you guys(from them) and i feel like i'm on fast spin!

this is great STUFF,suppose i should take a class at the local college on audio/video...pretty slow learner though.:eek:

We'll help you one acronym (DTS, THD, et al ) at a time.

Been in the Parker dam several times; parents used to live in Blythe.....

The sound for this one is exceptional, but better, the mix is smart and clever: vocals in the middle(as needed, mostly by Jack Bruce)but also bleeding a little in the fronts, echoed in the back; Clapton, isolated in a channel but, too, heard in the back; and Ginger Baker's percussion, heard in REAL STEREO, from left to right and back again, throughout! Very well done, IMO, unlike so many other mixes that tend to forget such things, and focus on the lead players.

It was also enjoyable that so much was taken from FRESH CREAM, the first--and IMO, best--Cream album. Left out are such overbaked things as "Sunshine Of My Love" and "White Room," which this fan did not miss; regrettably, though, "I Feel Free" and "Toad"--the bookends of the US Atco Lp--are not here, a shame given how ferocious and alive these old guys played most of the songs otherwise. It's still surprising to me that so much FC was here, given how much more commercially successful DG and WOF(and even GOODBYE)were. But maybe this concert was a reminder of why they got together in the first place--that original 'spark,' the joy of playing the blues and R&B of others, and those they wrote.

This is one I rented first from Netflix, and then bought because it's really strong and worth the money! :)

ED :)

Left out are such overbaked things as "Sunshine Of My Love" and "White Room," which this fan did not miss; regrettably, though, "I Feel Free" and "Toad"--the bookends of the US Atco Lp--are not here, a shame given how ferocious and alive these old guys played most of the songs otherwise.

Strange - have you got a different version, Ed?
My copy is definitely missing "I Feel Free", for sure.
BUT - "White Room", "Sunshine Of Your Love" & "Toad" are certainly there on my copy - SOYL is there twice in fact.
White Room is Disc 2, Track 3.
SOYL is Disc 2, Track 5 (and an alternate take as well)
Toad is Disc 2, Track 4.

I can only surmise you have not played disc 2 yet - it's the second half of the main show, not out-take reels..........

Apparently I haven't....:D In fact, I don't know where the other disc is(come to think of it, the live part of THE MACCA YEARS box seems MIA also--it sure isn't in the package, though I know I've got it around here somewhere....)

Ah well, I'm losing things all the time, something my wife is constantly complaining about, since she can't find some of her stuff(probably IS my fault, always tossing things about). My vinyl collection is far better organized than what CD's and DVD's I have kickin' around; obviously it's time to do something about that(sigh).

Apparently I haven't....:D In fact, I don't know where the other disc is(come to think of it, the live part of THE MACCA YEARS box seems MIA also--it sure isn't in the package, though I know I've got it around here somewhere....)

Ah well, I'm losing things all the time, something my wife is constantly complaining about, since she can't find some of her stuff(probably IS my fault, always tossing things about). My vinyl collection is far better organized than what CD's and DVD's I have kickin' around; obviously it's time to do something about that(sigh).

Ed, believe me I have the same problem. Got CD's and DVD all over the place here. We have one bookshelf that is full of (in theory, anyway) just DVD-A/SACD & DTS-CD. Trouble is I also have a 250 disc wallet full of DTS-CD (Home-made variety) and Claire has a personal "nest" for when she's working - it's a little 5.1 sub/satellite system running off a DVD-A player into her soundcard directly. Trouble is, if I can'yt find a disc & spend time searching 9 times out of 10 she'll turn round & say "That's in my pile" - usually in the wrong bloody box as well.
Aargh.
Still - at least she is into 5.1 - means I can buy what I like when I want to. And that is a big bonus.

Yeah, my wife likes 5.1, especially Indian cinema, and it's easy to hear why...:) OM SHANTI OM is one noisy beast! :D

But so far, Disc 2 is still MIA, though I suspect it's just in a box or otherwise hidden(probably in a paper sleeve, since I'm not keen on leaving these type of DVD packages around to get messed up. I'll finish the review eventually, around here there's no big hurry anyway....

Ok, found it finally!

Well....not a whole lot left, was there? And unfortunately, the last batch of tracks lack some of the spark of earlier ones...though that may just be the material and their(and our)familiarity with it. "White Room" and "Sunshine" were always plodding anyway, without the fire and raw blues of FC. The original "Toad" has never been bettered, probably because it was just enough without being too much(drum solos do become boring the longer they go on, unless you're playing them), while the WOF "Crossroads" is probably definitive, and the version here isn't even close; again, plods along. For that reason, "Sitting On Top Of The World" is done just as we remember it, and it fits a little too well.

Still, overall, much better than one had a right to expect, and some really fine playing.

Back