CSN&Y - Deja Vu 50th Anniversary Box set on the Horizon!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pretty sure I've got an upmix DL from way back in the day laying around somewhere that sounds pretty good.

like everything else, the new release will have to be leaps and bounds better in order to pull my money from me

just the way the state of the industry is today, have to compete with ALL the illegal DL'ing of the past, a mighty big task to fill

kinda funny that the industry today wants to act like napster never existed, yeah, that's not really gonna work o_O

Even just a stereo remix for the 50th would be interesting to hear - I've always thought the original sounds kinda muddy. Maybe that was the intended effect? The original stereo was pretty extreme at times, so I'd love to hear an uber-wide surround mix a la Idlewild South or Moondance (both albums of a similar vintage).
There are bad copies of this one out there. Significantly damaged. I remember being floored by the MFSL vinyl when I stumbled across that many years ago. I have the HD download version too. I haven't spent a lot of time comparing them extensively but from memory the MFSL sounds like it was probably "juiced up" a bit (tastefully) in mastering vs a flat transfer 24 bit download. All the standard vinyl pressings and CDs sound like bad bootlegs next to these two.

This appears to be one of those albums released damaged since the very first pressing and only that MFSL copy had snuck out until recent times. The good copies are audiophile grade sound. That Neil Young track with all the vocal overdubs sounds just outrageous!

A CSNY 5.1 blu ray is a must buy.
Probably most of the best alternate takes were released by the CSN boxset / Neil Young archives. A CSNY deja Vu deluxe with a bunch of live takes of songs which i already have multiple versions have no interest for me. Sort of like the Grateful Dead releasing version after version of the same live songs over and over again. Like myself, most of you already have the CSN boxset, Neil young archives 1 and 2 coming soon, and remastered versions of group/solo cds.
The CSNY deja Vu 5.1 Blu ray is what will make me purchase this music again. JMHO

Last edited:
Interesting. Have you tried the Wayback Machine?

https://web.archive.org/web/*/grahamnash.com
(Also: I wonder if anything might be different now that David Crosby is supposedly all sweetness-and-light?)

If you do Twitter, he is a good person to follow. Interacts directly with fans, takes questions, is very blunt about CSNY propects, etc.

I love this album, so I really hope it is given a 5.1 make over. I still have my beige coloured vinyl LP I bought in my 1st year at Uni, and its kind of worn out now, and then I bought on CD then the re-mastered one. So I'll buy again so long as we can have a surround mix ........................ I can't almost cut my hair if we don't, as the old bonce is in a smoother state than the vinyl grooves on the old LP!

I love this album, so I really hope it is given a 5.1 make over. I still have my beige coloured vinyl LP I bought in my 1st year at Uni, and its kind of worn out now, and then I bought on CD then the re-mastered one. So I'll buy again so long as we can have a surround mix ........................ I can't almost cut my hair if we don't, as the old bonce is in a smoother state than the vinyl grooves on the old LP!

:LOL: :dance

I've been considering picking this up for awhile now Clint, I see you bought that one (your impressions on it please?)
That was 6 years ago...so my observations can't be specific...not specific songs...but my general feelings at the time were positive...I'm not a lover of live shows for albums...I'd rather have studio derived albums...but I thought the overall sound was good...very authentic of the time period...the content was so impressive...it's one of those house party discs...just put it on and you have a LOT of music...sorta like Tom Petty Anthology....but not as good(in an audio sense) as Anthology...I'd buy it again today if I didn't have the music...no question...

I've been considering picking this up for awhile now Clint, I see you bought that one (your impressions on it please?)
That one sounds like it was a live soundboard recording to 2-track. Then smoothed over with some mastering work like you do. Definitely cool! Definitely not mixed from multitrack though! So zero chance for surround. Unless someone were to come up with audience recordings and make a quad board in front, audience in back mix. (Which is better than nothing when there's no other choice. Actually that often works out well. The too quiet in the board parts are in the room and vice verse often enough.)

A Deja Vu remix would have to be on point. The bar is set pretty high with the original. (Or, if you can find a decent copy of it apparently.)

I don't think THIS release got enough credit on here....it wasn't surround....but it had a lot of material on it

Plum forgot about this one, Clinty. Thanks for the reminder. And I've yet to wade through the Neil Young BD~A 2.0 Archives, Volume I. SO much music....SO little time!
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young Live 1974 Box Set

Last edited:
Small sample 4.1 from Penteo (just a very quick, low res and no adjustments, from MFSL LP rip)
Have to save to computer and play back in Foobar or Oppo etc.
* If the Mods., etc. have a problem with this - understood.

Pupster, if you have access to EPIX, watch Part I of Laurel Canyon and especially pay close attention to OUR HOUSE. This was NO Penteo upmix because of all the included music on this documentary, this PROMINENTLY stood out as a bona fide discrete 5.1 remix! It was AMAZING!

Back