Customer Survey! (super short)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to answer “no” to the final question because I haven’t heard the surround master, so it’s not the best I’ve heard, primarily because I haven’t heard it. I did note in the comment that I’m interested in it, though.
That was my big problem... How can you say what's best if you have not done instant A/B comparison!

Exactly. When it asks if I would recommend Involve products to someone I said yes. But the real deal is if I could recommend Involve products to someone. The analog connections on the SM is a no go for most people with modern AVR's. There isn't a single person I know with-an HT set up that could utilize the Surround Master. Of course Involve makes other good products but the Amp Master or Y4 system is aimed more at replacing a AVR and the people that want something like this will be disappointed at no ability to decode the various high res streaming & Blu-ray, SACD, etc, formats.
Whats a HT setup?

I can output from the analog stereo jacks on my Oppo into the SM and then into the 7.1 analog inputs on my Marantz AVR. So you do know a person with an HT setup that can utilize the SM...although I admit that I am not single. :)
There are quite a few here on QQ I consider my friends I just haven't had the pleasure of meeting F2F. Yet. But I was thinking more of people I do know locally between family & friends I could actually demo the SM & give them good reason to buy.That would be a grand total of 6 with good quality surround sound HT set ups, perfectly capable of also good quality music reproduction. Only 2 of them actually use their systems to listen to music but for most younger people it's un-imaginable to actually sit still for 45 mins & just enjoy the music.

At any rate they all have disc spinners with only HDMI out & only AVR's with HDMI in. Even the Y4 system does not have an extra set of MCH analog inputs but IIRC it has HDMI? Why can't that licenses transfer to use on the Surround Master?

Your Marantz SR7013 seems to be a well chosen product, indeed. I see on B&H & Crutchfield it is discontinued. May I ask what year it is?

My Anthem AVM 30 is oldish with out a single HDMI anything. But it is a true gem & has worked perfectly . My HDMI video from my Oppo & PC goes straight into the HDMI inputs on my projector. My Oppo (and SM) plug into my Zektor which goes into the Anthem analog ins. Also I have SPDIF from the PC & Oppo into the Anthem for processing if I want. DVD-A's, SACD's, high res audio with video all is handled by my Oppo 105 & again, into the Zektor> Anthem. I have no plans going ATMOS or 4K video, so this is a sweet spot for me in digital meets analog.

There are quite a few here on QQ I consider my friends I just haven't had the pleasure of meeting F2F. Yet. But I was thinking more of people I do know locally between family & friends I could actually demo the SM & give them good reason to buy.That would be a grand total of 6 with good quality surround sound HT set ups, perfectly capable of also good quality music reproduction. Only 2 of them actually use their systems to listen to music but for most younger people it's un-imaginable to actually sit still for 45 mins & just enjoy the music.

At any rate they all have disc spinners with only HDMI out & only AVR's with HDMI in. Even the Y4 system does not have an extra set of MCH analog inputs but IIRC it has HDMI? Why can't that licenses transfer to use on the Surround Master?

Your Marantz SR7013 seems to be a well chosen product, indeed. I see on B&H & Crutchfield it is discontinued. May I ask what year it is?

My Anthem AVM 30 is oldish with out a single HDMI anything. But it is a true gem & has worked perfectly . My HDMI video from my Oppo & PC goes straight into the HDMI inputs on my projector. My Oppo (and SM) plug into my Zektor which goes into the Anthem analog ins. Also I have SPDIF from the PC & Oppo into the Anthem for processing if I want. DVD-A's, SACD's, high res audio with video all is handled by my Oppo 105 & again, into the Zektor> Anthem. I have no plans going ATMOS or 4K video, so this is a sweet spot for me in digital meets analog.
To be clear the Y4 system is supplied with a HDMI to RCA/ Optical adapter, I actually use it at home for decoding the outputs of my FETCH BOX to the Y4. That remains the only bit of HDMI in my system I have not purged. One of the advantages of supplying with an external adapter is that when the frequent (non compatible ) upgrades of HDMI happen then its relatively cheap (say $50) to upgrade. Its still a shit as it sometimes does not power up in the right colours and you have to go on/ off again.

Ol blue eyes is not supplied with the HDMI adapter to help keep the cost down (maybe we should???). What really is needed in the market is a cheap RCA/ OPTICAL/ VIDEO to HDMI adapter! When we had a HDMI license we were looking at designing such a beast, we may still one day if we attract some investor funds (which is what this poll is all about) so we can pay the crazy high annual fees.

Aw, thanks for engaging with this y'all. And yeah, it's a bit absolute but we were a bit constrained by those who wanted the stats. We will do an additional survey later on that asks for more detailed information as well, including features you'd like and so on.

~D

The question in the survey,

"Would you say Involve Audio is the best surround reproduction you have heard?"

With regard to what?
- QS decoding? Yes
- SQ decoding? Yes
- IA decoding? Yes
- Stereo upmixing? Depends on the source material. Some other decoders such as Logic7 and Tate Surround do a more impressive job if given the right material, but they can really eff things up. The SM never effs things up...It's an artifact-free presentation.

This is really close to what I was thinking. Although not often, the Tate and to a lesser extent, the QSD-1 will outshine the SM. But similar to what you said, the SM is steady and 97% of the time, outperforms everything.

but for most younger people it's un-imaginable to actually sit still for 45 mins & just enjoy the music.
I don't know anybody outside QQ who enjoy such things! None of my F2F friends hobby in music...

And to the point of HDMI, modern HTs and AVR's....I'm a rare case after I thought about it. I'm currently all RCA - my pre-amp, Oppo 83, SM and mini Amp Master. @Sonik Wiz is probably correct, might make recommending an SM difficult. But I still would to anybody who would listen.

I'm still using my two Surround Master 465s (1 QS, 1 SQ), and I have to say I've considered the newest model, I wonder if you ever considered having a vari-matrix knob in there, too. Or, a separate unit? I use the rear channels of a Marantz unit to widen and narrow stereo images as I see fit when making a mix CDR, or to make a true-mono restoration of a fake stereo mix. Your thoughts?

Hi there all!

We have a survey at the request of our mysterious benefactors-to-be, and would really appreciate it if you would take the time.
I'm trying to send this to existing customers but it requires an opt-in - thanks to those who already have. If you haven't, here's the link.

It's only...er...three questions. Should take less than two minutes.

Survey Link!

Actually - I managed to do a send to all email addresses - so you won't be signed up to the mailing list (which is an infrequent mailout anyway - last one was March I think)

Yours, in a white-wine sauce,

~David (The Bitch)
Responded, with pleasure.

This is really close to what I was thinking. Although not often, the Tate and to a lesser extent, the QSD-1 will outshine the SM. But similar to what you said, the SM is steady and 97% of the time, outperforms everything.
I also answered yes to the question, but I have to admit pure discrete is a better presentation. As for matrix-based presentation, it outperforms just about everything else, and for a fraction of what those other "super decoders" cost, back in their day.

I also answered yes to the question, but I have to admit pure discrete is a better presentation. As for matrix-based presentation, it outperforms just about everything else, and for a fraction of what those other "super decoders" cost, back in their day.
You need to do an instant a/b with an involve encoded source vs the discrete. We did such trials and there was a preference to involve (published it in all tests elsewhere... It was a fair triall

I'm still using my two Surround Master 465s (1 QS, 1 SQ), and I have to say I've considered the newest model, I wonder if you ever considered having a vari-matrix knob in there, too. Or, a separate unit? I use the rear channels of a Marantz unit to widen and narrow stereo images as I see fit when making a mix CDR, or to make a true-mono restoration of a fake stereo mix. Your thoughts?
Considering it but not sure how.

Back