Daft Punk: Break Up

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, seems surprising. Not making a joke, but I wonder if they grew tired of the whole helmet thing?
Yes perhaps part of it. Or at any rate time to replace the old shtick with some new shtick. There was a Japanese band called Beat Crusaders that went their several year career never publicly showing real faces:
BEAT CRUSADERS.jpg

But just last week I enjoyed listening to DP's Discovery album one more time. Sounds just darn near perfect through the Surround Master. I missed the original telecast of this thought I might pass it on:

Random Access Memories is at least a career high point to go out on.
I can't agree with that. It was an improvement over Human After All, but can't touch the masterpiece that is Discovery, which is a perfect album (or nearly, in my opinion). In another 20 years' time, I predict it will be "One More Time," "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger," "Digital Love," "Something About Us," and "Aerodynamic" that are recognized as the classics over "Get Lucky," "Lose Yourself To Dance," "Instant Crush," "Within," and "Giorgio by Moroder."

I can't agree with that. It was an improvement over Human After All, but can't touch the masterpiece that is Discovery, which is a perfect album (or nearly, in my opinion). In another 20 years' time, I predict it will be "One More Time," "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger," "Digital Love," "Something About Us," and "Aerodynamic" that are recognized as the classics over "Get Lucky," "Lose Yourself To Dance," "Instant Crush," "Within," and "Giorgio by Moroder."

I chose my words carefully in the opening post. I did not say DP's RAM was their best album, my favorite or the zenith of their creativity. But Discovery & RAM are the best selling & highest profile, most award winning albums of the duo. Certainly their sophomore effort has been around longer with RIAA certified sales being 2.5 million copies since 2003 compared to RAM of RIAA 1 million copies since 2014. And Get Lucky is the only song to debut at #1 since One more Time in their native France. There are so many many international music awards but if you look at our own Grammy's RAM has garnered four "best of" compared to Discovery's two.

Since the break up streaming of DP has sky rocketed with Get Lucky being the most DL'ed song but with Discovery being the most streamed album.

You or I can look at these statistics all day long but I think my final interpretation is that RAM is a worthy place holder with Discovery. And most certainly in general public awareness. If I were to ask my 30 something daughters if they've heard of One more Time it would draw a blank. But if I said about Get Lucky they would immediately know it but unfortunately think it is a Pharrell Williams release. And surveying a wider range of people would probably draw the same response. I think it was stroke of genius to feature Paul Williams in Touch with such wonderful connections to Phantom of the Paradise. And I can't say what DP songs will be played 20 years from now but Giorgio Moroder has already passed that test of time with musical contributions since 1970.

Now let me clear, Discovery is my favorite DP album like you & I do think surpasses RAM for concept & creativity. I listened to it all the way through (natch) just a week before the announced break up. It really soars into wonderful surround using SpecWeb, sounding better than any other S2S I've tried. I was first turned on to Daft Punk at an anime club meeting when we watched the newly released Interstella 5555. The album & that film is just perfection to me. Despite the Bul-ray being in surround DTS HD it's a very bad mix that doesn't sound near as good as upmixed CD. So I go to 2ch stereo output from my Oppo into the Surround Master & it really makes the best out of a bland mixed sound track.

I guess to summarize I love Discovery but see RAM as the more commercially successful release with the greatest current public awareness. And really, we are fortunate to be able to enjoy all of Daft Punk's musical legacy. Looking forward to se what solo projects might come next.

Wow, yeah... I just learned there was a "5.1" mix of Discovery on this Blu Ray so I grabbed it... the blu ray itself is cool, but wow, the 5.1 mix is... not. It's actually one of the worst I've heard, what's coming out of the rears is a just a super distant, super bass-y sludge that barely even relates to what's going on up front. It's a shame because a true 5.1 mix coulda been "bangin'" as the kids would say.

Wow, yeah... I just learned there was a "5.1" mix of Discovery on this Blu Ray so I grabbed it... the blu ray itself is cool, but wow, the 5.1 mix is... not. It's actually one of the worst I've heard, what's coming out of the rears is a just a super distant, super bass-y sludge that barely even relates to what's going on up front. It's a shame because a true 5.1 mix coulda been "bangin'" as the kids would say.
You are 100% correct. I love the band, the album, the movie. But the so called surround mix for the movie is probably the worst I've ever heard. Much better to just down mix to stereo & let the Surround Master do its thing. And the album itself is astonishing with a proper upmix.

There's been some good discussion elsewhere about the DP: RAM reissue coming up in ATMOS. That got my interest up in what else has been going on with the ex-Daft Punk duo.

The most interesting thing I can find is Thomas Bangalter has a new album coming out in April. It sounds very symphonic, not techno at all. For a member of this pair to go this approach I find fascinating. I will definitely be looking for this.

https://pitchfork.com/news/daft-punks-thomas-bangalter-announces-new-solo-album-mythologies/
Edit: additional enjoyment
https://pitchfork.com/thepitch/daft-punk-best-music-videos/

There's been some good discussion elsewhere about the DP: RAM reissue coming up in ATMOS. That got my interest up in what else has been going on with the ex-Daft Punk duo.

The most interesting thing I can find is Thomas Bangalter has a new album coming out in April. It sounds very symphonic, not techno at all. For a member of this pair to go this approach I find fascinating. I will definitely be looking for this.

https://pitchfork.com/news/daft-punks-thomas-bangalter-announces-new-solo-album-mythologies/
Edit: additional enjoyment
https://pitchfork.com/thepitch/daft-punk-best-music-videos/

Back