Dan Hicks Quad Lp ???

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raggal62

Mark Anderson's Quadraphonic Discography lists "Striking it Rich" as a QS encoded title released only in quad. I have this lp and tried piping it through a Lafayette SQ-W set on Composer A. I can't hear any quad effects. Another fake quad ?????

Don't forget that Mark Anderson's Quad Discography is basically an internet presentation of Larry Clifton's QUAD INCORPORATED publication from the late '70s. Maybe Larry can chime in here and talk about this release.

No help here, just wanted to pipe in that I love "Striking It Rich" and it would really make for a sublime mch experience.

This one is apparantly QS endcoded, not SQ encoded, so your Lafayette SQ decoder isn't going to be a whole lot of help.

I've played this album through a QS decoder and I would say that it probably is QS encoded. It plays with a very natural surround-sound acoustical space. No, there isn't a lot of "gee whiz" action going on, but it offers better surround-sound than what you would expect from simple stereo-to-surround synthesis. In fact, it decodes a lot better than many of ABC's so-called "quad compatible" LPs.

So, I cannot say for certain, but I lean towards the idea that it is "stealth" QS encoded LP (i.e. one that is QS encoded but not marked as such).

Cai Campbell said:
So, I cannot say for certain, but I lean towards the idea that it is "stealth" QS encoded LP (i.e. one that is QS encoded but not marked as such).

Unless there were multiple versions of the cover, it's actually not stealthy at all. You have to look at the fine Kornyfone-font print inside the gatefold. Can't remember if it actually says "QS" or something else like "Sansui matrix".

Wouldn't surprise me if it's one of those deals where there are also later, cheaper pressings that don't open up and all the text is just MIA.

JonUrban said:
Don't forget that Mark Anderson's Quad Discography is basically an internet presentation of Larry Clifton's QUAD INCORPORATED publication from the late '70s. Maybe Larry can chime in here and talk about this release.

Evidently, this is Jon's week to promote "QUAD Incorporated". I wish I had a few copies left to sell.

Everyone who's commented in this thread had provided useful and accurate information. I have the album, BTS-36 on the ABC Blue Thumb label. On mine, the record label indicates "STEREO", but a notice inside the gatefold jacket states "THIS IS A COMPATIBLE SANSUI QUADRAPHONIC RECORDING".

The Sansui quad matrix was "QS", and so you need a QS decoder to hear "Striking It Rich!" as intended.

Larry

I don't have the L.P., but the CD version decodes nicely through my QSD-2 and also sounds good in the TATE surround mode.

zabble said:
I don't have the L.P., but the CD version decodes nicely through my QSD-2 and also sounds good in the TATE surround mode.
Cd version is still around, just saw it at Borders, and is QS encoded and sounds good!

raggal62 said:
Mark Anderson's Quadraphonic Discography lists "Striking it Rich" as a QS encoded title released only in quad. I have this lp and tried piping it through a Lafayette SQ-W set on Composer A. I can't hear any quad effects. Another fake quad ?????
Forget about composer here. My LR-5000 sounds pretty good in SQ for this title, LP or CD.

Last edited:
Back