Dare I Linux?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@DuncanS What did you load on your NUC7. Windows or Linux? Your post reminded me that NUC had HDMI issues when it was first released and there were fixes I think. I wonder whether it’s worth another try. Intel has released new Linux HDMI drivers (Linux 5). Back then it was Linux 3.

@DuncanS What did you load on your NUC7. Windows or Linux? Your post reminded me that NUC had HDMI issues when it was first released and there were fixes I think. I wonder whether it’s worth another try. Intel has released new Linux HDMI drivers (Linux 5). Back then it was Linux 3.
It came with Windows 10, and I did read that HDCP 2.2 is hardwired into that i7, as it is mentioned somewhere. However, I didn't keep that link!

But, I have just done some digging and found these,
Audio or Display Problems Related to HDMI on Intel® NUCs That Use...
Troubleshooting Audio Issues on Intel® NUC
so rather than have the NUC sit on a shelf in disgrace, I'll have to find some time, reconnect it and see what happens! It could also be my amp not talking properly to the NUC, but there is nothing I can do about that. As an aside ARC from the TV has never worked.

Looks promising. I remember quite a few Kodi users were having HDMi problems on NUCs a couple years back that were resolved by Intel updates. I hope a firmware solves your problems Duncs.

If you are having issues with a native HDMI port (actual HDMI port on the computer - not adapted)...

Some HDMI ports are restricted or partial. (Disabling audio is popular.)
Try using a thunderbolt port adapted to HDMI as a workaround.

I finally updated my last desktop to 10 from 7. I ran into an issue though:
0x8007001F - 0x20006
The Installation Failed in the SAFE_OS Phase with an error during REPLICATE_OC operation

Got it finally fixed by installing an older version: 1607, but I think the issue was with the host file. I was using a program (Spybot Antibeacon) to block telemetry in 7 which I think prevented from me installing the latest version. You would think that MS would wipe the host file and proceed with the upgrade, but it never did. Anyway, I finally got it installed and upgraded to the latest version of 10 after several hours of updates.

I do have a spare old laptop, Thinkpad 510 with Linux Mint version 20.2 installed. Works fine, but I noticed that the versions after 18 seem to be more demanding on the hardware. I do have it installed on a SSD though.

Looks promising. I remember quite a few Kodi users were having HDMi problems on NUCs a couple years back that were resolved by Intel updates. I hope a firmware solves your problems Duncs.
The last time I tried which was about a year+ ago (!) I didn't manage to resolve it with a firmware upgrade. May be the later one does, if I get time this weekend I'll have a go, got to find all the cables and where I put the PSU!

For those following my saga, I ended up building a new HTPC using a somewhat incongruous set of parts (Silverstone ML05 Case with Be Quiet! 80mm fan, Corsair SF450 Power Supply, Asrock B450 ITX Motherboard, Athlon 3000G processor, Noctua low-profile CPU cooler, 16GB RAM and 500GB NVME SSD). Some of these parts are serious overkill for a low-power processor like the Athlon 3000G, but the system does 4k/60hz without complaint over HDMI through my AVR and it's almost completely quiet with the low-power CPU. It's actually substantially quieter than my Thinkpad laptop I'm typing this on. The case supports a BD Drive, but honestly I don't think I need it. Storage is supplied by a 8 TB NAS connected via gigabit ethernet.

A few photos of the new rig. Kind of funny how different it is in some ways from computers of an older generation. Everything is on the motherboard including the SSD, only connections are power supply and case. Completely inaudible from 6 feet away.
2021-10-21 17.44.49.jpg
2021-10-18 22.02.53.jpg

Back