Music DVD Poll Dave Gilmour - Remember That Night (Live at the Royal Albert Hall)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-V of "Dave Gilmour - Remember That Night"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 2 - Poor Mix, production & visuals

• 1 - Forget it, Complete waste of time

• Total voters

neil wilkes

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Please post your thoughts, comments & Observations on this title.
If possible, also include where you got it & how much was paid.

Last edited:
initial thoughts:

Not that impressed with the Picture quality considering it was filmed in hi def..

the performance though is supurb.

Only Dolby sound track 5.1 and 2.0, No DTS No LPCM. for a music disc a sin of almight proportions.

The extras performances documentarys some of the Mermaid Theatre show which I attended, Even an easter egg or two any seen the acoustic Echoes worth the price of the disc.

For me a mixed bag could have been better on two Sound counts.

market leading extras package. great performances great guests

Ill Vote after i have finished watching it all. some of it again.

Last edited:
The picture has a well quality, also the sound quality is well, but is it not surround - and here we have not a hifi-forum, but one for surround. After the first test is have now connected again the 2-channel output of my DVD-A/V Player with the QSD-2 decoder. Now I have a real surround-sound and - for excample- the keyboard is to listen from araund and behind.

Dietrich

I repeat my self from this thread.
My first impresions: the video is a bit grainy at times, could be deliberate, the smoke, the lighting and partly due to the long playtime of he concert (over 2.5 hours)
The 5.1 is 5.0 except for small bits (but that's no sin) and very little discrete in the rears.

The performances are very good (as expected from Gilmour and co.), having David Crosby and Graham Nash on this tour is a nice addition. Rick Wright is in great shape too. Plenty Floyd stuff next to David's solo material. And they played it just because they like to do so.

I'd like to add that IMO the menus are some of the best (looking and designed) I've seen (e.g. "play all" on every sub section on DVD2)

BTW. I think the concert DVD was cut from several nights in the Albert Hall and because the set list on this tour had a handful of songs that would change from night to night this is an oportunity to have most of them included.

I give it high marks for the sheer volume of content on the 2 discs. However as others have noted I think someone messed up the mix because in some songs there is sn LFE and in others there is not. The sound also seems to change somewhat after the layer change on the first disc. However, for Echoes alone this is worth an 8. For the value per $ spent this is a 9. So I will vote 9. Again, very few instances of discreteness here. Why do most of these recordings lately downplay the drums in the mix?

Maybe guilt for years of the drums being too loud? I dunno.

Had to give it a 9 as the performances surely overcome the disappointments in the mix / audio options. Perhaps it can be re-visited for upgrades when released on a high def disc format?

Echoes is worth the price of admission alone and I got chills just typing the song title. My son was watching and I told him David Gilmour influenced Steve Wilson; he thought about that and smiled.

No regrets here other than missed opportunity for DTS track and/or more discrete presentation.

Last edited:
Picture quality depends on the player, on the Pioneer 969 vibrent and sharp on the 676 grainy and soft. Would have liked a DTS track.

Update: Be sure to check out the 2nd disc all the way. More tracks but also a great documentary of the group travelling and performing with some great footage and adventures in between.

I marvel at what David Gilmour has achieved so far and he's playing better than ever on a wide array of instruments.

Picture quality depends on the player, on the Pioneer 969 vibrent and sharp on the 676 grainy and soft. Would have liked a DTS track.

the lack of a DTS track is probably the Biggest single issue I have with this release stopping it from being the perfect 10

Have to give it a 9 the extras go above and beyond the tour documentary sure blows holes in David's aparent reluctance at being famous.

also loved the rather uncomfortable meeting with Roger waters too grown men with not much to say to each other

I'm waiting for the Blu-Ray that I pre-ordered. Here's Amazon's info on the Audio/Video:

Video/Audio:
Mastered in High Definition
PCM Stereo Sound (48kHz/24bit)
Dolby TrueHD 5.1 Surround Sound (48kHz/24bit)
Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound (512 kbps)

Can't wait!

This is really a good document of the album and tour. Showed my wife the documentary, then some selected songs and enjoyed it all over again.

It's a good sign when one of the new Gilmour songs is stuck in your head instead of a Floyd number.

Nice package, I'll easily watch this one over again...

Buy.com cancelled my order because the disc is unavailable. What a line of BS! I'm sure it had nothing to do with getting $10 off of it from Google Checkout.

Buy.com = Bye.com

Buy.com cancelled my order because the disc is unavailable. What a line of BS! I'm sure it had nothing to do with getting $10 off of it from Google Checkout.

Buy.com = Bye.com

It didn't.

Pre-release info can be flaky sometimes; they get a SKU for the item and then discover it's not happening as expected.

I think HD version's have been pushed back time-wise.

I ordered it from Amazon this afternoon and they have it as shipping Nov. 26. It was less than Buy.com even with the $10 off. Win-Win.

Edit: Got an e-mail that it shipped yesterday!

Last edited:
Got the Blu-Ray version today. Ready to fire up the Panasonic and check it out. The 5.1 is "Dolby TrueHD" at 24/48. :phones

Attachments

• Untitled - 1.jpg
    Untitled - 1.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 378
  • Gil-back.jpg
    Gil-back.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 384
Just did a quick run through of Disc One. First impression is: NOT IMPRESSED

The surround track is very disappointing. Strictly front centric with audience in the rears, ho-hum. In fact, it was so bad, I switched audio tracks twice with the remote to verify I had surround selected, then I went to the Denon to see if it was getting a 5.1 signal from the player!

As for the picture, well, a couple of observations. "Legacy" artists should really shy away from HD, because when the director goes for the full screen head shot, you can really see things like wigs (David Bowie) and just the age of the subject. (Hey, I would not want to see me in HD either! :eek:)

As reported above concerning the standard DVD, there are many scenes that are grainy, probably on purpose, but they look bad when you are expecting a Blu-Ray type picture.

I'll have to check out Disc Two at some point, but scanning through Disc One does not get me fired up to go back to this title very soon.

A shame, really, I thought this was going to be spectacular. I think the "McCartney Years" has set the standard for Surround Videos from this point forward.

As for the picture, well, a couple of observations. "Legacy" artists should really shy away from HD, because when the director goes for the full screen head shot, you can really see things like wigs (David Bowie) and just the age of the subject. (Hey, I would not want to see me in HD either! :eek:)

Yes, some of us look better in standard definition.

Chris

Back