BluRay Music Video Poll Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds - LIVE AT RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL [Blu-Ray]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Blu-Ray disc of Dave Matthews - LIVE AT RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround Mix, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this HD title. If you feel so inclined, include info on the type of equipment you are using for playback and your setup.

When voting, please remember that we're mostly interested in the quality of the sound and the surround mix as opposed to the video presentation, although in the case of these discs that would also be a consideration when contemplating a disc purchase.

Attachments

• DaveMatthewsTimReynolds390_.jpg
    DaveMatthewsTimReynolds390_.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 418
The HD video is incredible. And the TrueHD 5.1 sounds great, but I do feel as though the 5.1 mix isn't as strong in the "surround" area as I'd have liked. Click here to read my full review. I think I'll give it an 8 for the QQ rating, seeing as how we're more of an audio forum than a video forum.

To date this is the best sounding Blu-ray Disc audio presentation I have heard.
The surround mix makes me feel like I am actually there. With two guitars on stage and one person singing, I'm not sure that an aggressive surround mix would lend much in the way of reality to this performance.
I definitely prefer the Dolby TrueHD 5.1 24/96 mix over the 24/48 2.0 PCM mix.
The video content is excellent, especially the distant shots of the stage which, with all the black and dark lighting, one might expect to see some noise in; a reference disc all around.
The performance as well is excellent. Having listened to well over 30 different Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds performances one can always be safe in the knowledge that the performance will be worth the money. D+T always put on a 2h45m or longer performance.
10/10

Hey, Dobyblue... We may not be on the exact same page with regards to the surround, but I'll totally support you with regards to the music. This was my first experience ever hearing a Dave Matthews / Tim Reynolds performance. But I was simply amazed! I mean WOW! Sure, I had heard "Crush" and that other single on radio back in the nineties; but this stuff is so much better. Even versions of "Crush" are better. I had no idea. And I will say this: This is my favorite BluRay concert video in my small, yet growing, collection. I'd still like slighlty more ambience in the surrounds, but I don't think that should stop anyone from checking out this BluRay. Highly entertaining!

I am the other way about it. I liked the mix on the DolbyTHD track and thought the sound and video quality top-notch. (This was at home after a really disappointing demo of this at so-called high-end custom installer's demo system.) As for the music, ho hum. No vote for me but, if I could separate content from delivery, I would vote 9-10 for technical quality and ??? for content. Don't care to ever hear it again but I might use it to demo for some people.

Kal

This was my first experience ever hearing a Dave Matthews / Tim Reynolds performance. But I was simply amazed! I mean WOW! Sure, I had heard "Crush" and that other single on radio back in the nineties; but this stuff is so much better. Even versions of "Crush" are better. I had no idea.

Much like the D+T acoustic shows, which are very hard to score tickets to, DMB also will surprise you in concert with how much different their songs are to the album shows. I saw them in Ottawa in 2002 with Bela Fleck and The Flecktones opening the show. DMB brought out Bela and the boys to close the main set with a 32 minute jam of their song “#41” from 1996’s “Crash” album, with BFFT’s song “Sojourn to Arjuna” segued in the middle. Victor Wooten is one incredible bass player.

I’ve seen Neil Young, Warren Haynes, Carlos Santana and other guest with the band in various locations throughout the 33 times I’ve seen them play and I’ve enjoyed every show.

If you ever have a chance to catch the band play (they tour the US every Summer without fail) I encourage you to take it. They’re a great live act with lots of energy, rarely playing songs the same as they were in their studio incarnations, and they normally play for around 2h45m so you always get your money’s worth; plus seeing one of the world’s greatest drummers never gets old.

This year I’ll be seeing them 5 times; Toronto, Saratoga Springs, NY (2 shows) and Alpine Valley, WI (2 shows).

I'm giving this a 10. You can't possibly do anything with 2 guitars and one vocalist to make a discrete surround mix. The audio is excellent and the video is excellent period.

I should have said 8-9 technical quality but I'm not sure if it's the two great artist that make me say it should be 9-10. Nonetheless, it has really great audio. :phones
clear.gif

so I got a Dolby – The Sound Of High Definition (2007) (Blu-Ray) http://www.demo-world.eu/2007/12/18/dolby-the-sound-of-high-definition-blu-ray/

and it includes:

Dave Matthews And Tim Reynolds – Lie In Our Graves (2:30) DD+ 7.1

Dave Matthews And Tim Reynolds – Crash Into Me (2:36) Dolby TrueHD 5.1 96 kHz

both from LIVE AT RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL

pretty interesting to hear the contrast between the two

Haven't got the entire Blu-ray but just from these two songs it's quite an awesome demo disc for something released in 2007

so I got a Dolby – The Sound Of High Definition (2007) (Blu-Ray) http://www.demo-world.eu/2007/12/18/dolby-the-sound-of-high-definition-blu-ray/

and it includes:

Dave Matthews And Tim Reynolds – Lie In Our Graves (2:30) DD+ 7.1

Dave Matthews And Tim Reynolds – Crash Into Me (2:36) Dolby TrueHD 5.1 96 kHz

both from LIVE AT RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL

pretty interesting to hear the contrast between the two

Haven't got the entire Blu-ray but just from these two songs it's quite an awesome demo disc for something released in 2007

At the time of it's 2007 release, it WAS touted as a pretty state of the art audio/video experience.

I've watched it and it is immensely enjoyable and just a few weeks ago, the two appeared together for a set on the Late Night With Stephen Colbert Show.

Some things never get old.

Back