David Bowie immersive audio experience in NYC and London

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Full press release:

CELEBRATE 75 YEARS OF DAVID BOWIE WITH TWO LIMITED-TIME POP-UP EXPERIENCES BEGINNING OCTOBER 25, 2021
LONDON - 14 HEDDON STREET
Open Monday to Saturday 11am – 8pm, Sunday 12pm to 6pm
NEW YORK CITY - 150 WOOSTER STREET
Open seven days 11am – 7pm
www.bowie75.com
#Bowie75
"Now you’ve met The London Boys, things seem good again” & “New York’s A Go-Go” as the David Bowie Estate launches Bowie 75, a year-long celebration marking David Bowie’s 75th birthday, with the opening of two curated experiential pop-up shops—one at the site of the earliest confirmed Ziggy Stardust sighting, and one in the adopted hometown where Bowie’s final album ★ (pronounced “Blackstar”) was created.

For a very limited window previewing October 25, 2021, 75 days before the anniversary, through late January 2022, the Bowie 75 locations will be up and running at 14 Heddon Street -- the London location where the cover of The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars was shot and 150 Wooster Street — steps away from Bowie’s long-time downtown New York City neighbourhood.

The pop-ups will offer visitors a unique and immersive career-spanning deep dive into the sound and vision of David Bowie, with features including:
• Immersive audio and HD video screening rooms in partnership with 360 Reality Audio, an immersive music experience using Sony’s spatial sound technologies. With music in 360 Reality Audio, fans will be able to hear and see Bowie content available for the first time in immersive audio, exclusively in the Bowie 75 locations.
• Hours of video content including previously unseen behind-the-scenes material, rare footage from the Heathen and Reality eras, and more.
• Opportunities to purchase limited edition releases of exclusive Bowie apparel and collectibles, as well as limited run LPs and CDs from both the Warner/Parlophone Records and Sony catalogues.
• Exclusive fine art photography including gallery installations documenting Bowie’s many iconic eras, personae, and Ch-changes.
• Intimate special guest events to be announced.
• Fans can place themselves in iconic costumes and set pieces to create fun and shareable social media moments.
• And more— For store hours, events calendars and other announcements and information, sign up and stay tuned to www.bowie75.com

• Immersive audio and HD video screening rooms in partnership with 360 Reality Audio, an immersive music experience using Sony’s spatial sound technologies. With music in 360 Reality Audio, fans will be able to hear and see Bowie content available for the first time in immersive audio, exclusively in the Bowie 75 locations.
Let's hope that augurs an eventual appearance on streaming services and/or physical discs. (Immersive mixes of music by The Beatles and Pink Floyd made their debut in similar circumstances, after all.)

Looks like they are kicking off with the album Reality. Wonder if it's adapted from the 5.1 or a completely new mix? Like what they say in the last sentence! ⚡:)

"Join us in the SONY 360 Reality Audio immersive room for the premier of the spatial audio mix of REALITY, which was overseen by Toni Visconti. Experience the album like never before, the first of many to come."

Looks like they are kicking off with the album Reality. Wonder if it's adapted from the 5.1 or a completely new mix? Like what they say in the last sentence! ⚡:)

"Join us in the SONY 360 Reality Audio immersive room for the premier of the spatial audio mix of REALITY, which was overseen by Toni Visconti. Experience the album like never before, the first of many to come."

as soon as you see Tony Visconti's involved you know its gonna be nice.... very nice.... 😍

Went to the London shop last week. It was pretty cool... The 360RA is downstairs in quite a small room but with a proper 9.1.6 setup (I think?). It was pretty hard to see in there! They were playing through Space Oddity in surround as well as Reality. The mix on the title song is really cool, with the numbered countdown emanating from different height channels it seemed. The mix on 'Memory of a Free Festival' is incredible! There's this crescendo of all different noises and voices from all the speakers during the "sun machine is coming down and we're gonna have a party" chorus.

Tony Visconti was actually there on Monday giving a talk apparently. Think there's another couple of albums coming, due for around December... :cool:

DB1.jpg

Went to the London shop last week. It was pretty cool... The 360RA is downstairs in quite a small room but with a proper 9.1.6 setup (I think?). It was pretty hard to see in there! They were playing through Space Oddity in surround as well as Reality. The mix on the title song is really cool, with the numbered countdown emanating from different height channels it seemed. The mix on 'Memory of a Free Festival' is incredible! There's this crescendo of all different noises and voices from all the speakers during the "sun machine is coming down and we're gonna have a party" chorus.

Tony Visconti was actually there on Monday giving a talk apparently. Think there's another couple of albums coming, due for around December... :cool:

View attachment 73157

thank you for all the neat info! 🤗 sounds abserlootlee fabbalisshuss 🥳
hoping to go with me mate next weekend 🤞 🍀

I went on Amazon Music Unlimited to see if the 360 surround version was on there - they have a bit of Atmos/360 stuff. Had a listen but on speakers - sounds like stereo to me! Not sure the Visconti 360 surround mix was there - just later Space Oddity remixes. I have not bothered with a subscription....

I went on Amazon Music Unlimited to see if the 360 surround version was on there - they have a bit of Atmos/360 stuff. Had a listen but on speakers - sounds like stereo to me! Not sure the Visconti 360 surround mix was there - just later Space Oddity remixes. I have not bothered with a subscription....
Yeah unless you play it through hardware that can decode the MPEG-H format then you'll be listening to the stereo version. The Space Oddity mix is an unmistakable surround mix... I think it's going to come out in Dolby Atmos on Apple Music soon, which will be easier to listen to... :cool:

And the next album in 360 is.... Heathen.

600x600bb.jpg

I'm guessing it's a lot easier to do a new 360 mix if you've already done it in 5.1! :)

THE SONY 360 REAL AUDIO PREMIER OF BOWIE'S 23rd STUDIO ALBUM
HEATHEN, IN A BRAND-NEW SPATIAL AUDIO MIX OVERSEEN BY THE
ALBUM'S CO-PRODUCER, TONY VISCONTI

Originally released in June 2002, Heathen features modern Bowie classics
including the singles "Slow Burn" (with a blistering guitar solo courtesy of
The Who's Pete Townshend), "Everybody Says 'Hi" and "I've Been Waiting For
You". Written by Neil Young and featuring Dave Grohl on guitar, "I've Been
Waiting For You", is one of three covers on the album - "Cactus" by The Pixies
and the Legendary Stardust Cowboy's "I Took a Trip on a Gemini Spaceship"
being the other two. Heathen joins 2003's Reality and 1969's Space Oddity

in the Bowie 75 / SONY 360 Real Audio listening room and kiosks.

And the next album in 360 is.... Heathen.

View attachment 73628

I'm guessing it's a lot easier to do a new 360 mix if you've already done it in 5.1! :)

THE SONY 360 REAL AUDIO PREMIER OF BOWIE'S 23rd STUDIO ALBUM
HEATHEN, IN A BRAND-NEW SPATIAL AUDIO MIX OVERSEEN BY THE
ALBUM'S CO-PRODUCER, TONY VISCONTI

Originally released in June 2002, Heathen features modern Bowie classics
including the singles "Slow Burn" (with a blistering guitar solo courtesy of
The Who's Pete Townshend), "Everybody Says 'Hi" and "I've Been Waiting For
You". Written by Neil Young and featuring Dave Grohl on guitar, "I've Been
Waiting For You", is one of three covers on the album - "Cactus" by The Pixies
and the Legendary Stardust Cowboy's "I Took a Trip on a Gemini Spaceship"
being the other two. Heathen joins 2003's Reality and 1969's Space Oddity

in the Bowie 75 / SONY 360 Real Audio listening room and kiosks.

"Brand-new Spatial Audio mix"? (I.e., not the original 5.1 mix?) I'm eager to see if this will show up as a "Dolby Audio" title on Apple Music.

nipped to the Bowie 75 and Queen shops with me mate the other night, charming people working there but mostly just toot in both of them really.. ah well at least i got some stocking fillers for Christmas 😂

here's a few greatest flix pix of your old Queen fredblue at Queen Freddie's store and some pics of Bowie's 75 Shop etc to follow 🤗

C7A3EBBE-6627-4D11-B7D5-938AA060B044.jpeg
DCD02F22-AE5B-4EF4-84AE-22BAD7DB95B8.jpeg

C27E8760-E005-4CAE-8805-4C811460B749.jpeg
31B5783E-6CE5-454A-9A4B-42D4A245FF3F.jpeg

v.short video clip with audio of the 360 RA experience bit (we tried to record stuff from the speakers to show the separation but it was impossible to capture with our phones and it was so friggin' LOUD!!) the track that was playing at the time was "I Took A Trip On A Gemini Spacecraft" from "Heathen" ✌️🎸💅👨‍🎤

Back