David Bowie - Space Oddity: true 5.1 mix or upmix? (from Mad Men episode)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simon A

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I was watching Part. 2 of The Final Series of Mad Men (my favourite American TV show of the last fifteen years) and at the end of episode 5 of the set (titled Lost Horizon), Bowie's Space Oddity starts playing a few seconds before the show's credits roll. I was shocked by what I heard at first as I thought the song could have been mixed especially for the show. Upon a second listening a day later, I began to think it may actually be an upmix.

Could anyone who owns the set or has heard the song chip in and share his/her thoughts?

I don't mean to start any rumours here, I simply wish to hear your opinions on this. :)

I don't know, but you can download the multi-track in mp3 form (legitimately) and make your own. It's on itunes and other providers, at least it is in the UK. No idea if there's a hi-res option though.

I don't know, but you can download the multi-track in mp3 form (legitimately) and make your own. It's on itunes and other providers, at least it is in the UK. No idea if there's a hi-res option though.

Yeah, I had that app on my old iPhone. They made one for "Golden Years" as well. Neat stuff.

Simon - I'm unsure about your question but will look into it.

I just bought the complete series on blu-ray... Also one of my favorite shows! I'll check it out tonight... I seem to remember noticing how good that song sounded! On a side note, I finally finished watching the Sopranos last night... That finale was pretty disappointing! Madmen had a much better finale, but my favorite season finale would have to be Breaking Bad... Perfect ending for the greatest series ever!!!

I was watching Part. 2 of The Final Series of Mad Men (my favourite American TV show of the last fifteen years) and at the end of episode 5 of the set (titled Lost Horizon), Bowie's Space Oddity starts playing a few seconds before the show's credits roll. I was shocked by what I heard at first as I thought the song could have been mixed especially for the show. Upon a second listening a day later, I began to think it may actually be an upmix.

Could anyone who owns the set or has heard the song chip in and share his/her thoughts?

I don't mean to start any rumours here, I simply wish to hear your opinions on this. :)

FWIW,Simon,

This disc by Bowie was reviewed by many matrix quad owners and thought to be a rather "natural surround quad like" mix, and that track was the "standout"track in quad with either QS or SQ decoders.No doubt Dolby MP matrix via pro logic and DPL2 would provide likely surround demonstration.
My guess would be that this disc was "miked"back in 69 using something akin to an M-S miking presentation which worked very well with Dynaquad systems.For my money I had tried and do recommend SQ matrix via a good logic or tate decoder.:D(y)

There's quite a bit of leakage on the multi tracks which could contribute to appropriate phase information.

The whole Space Oddity album is available in Atmos on Apple Music. Listening to it right now. Not an aggressive mix but some interesting details coming out of the rears.

Back