• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

Music DVD Poll David Bowie - Young Americans

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Rate the DVD-V "Young Americans"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 2 - Poor Mix, Content & Features

• Total voters

neil wilkes

How is the bit rate determined?
By the Encoder.
DTS Core payload stream is always going to be at 24/48.
This core can be at either 1509Kb/sec or 754Kb/sec - you decide when you encode the file.
Where DTS get really clever is in the use of this core plus extensions. The extensions are either additional channels or extended frequency response in so-called "Legacy" mode. Extended frequency response up to 24/96 removes the 754Kb/sec option completely - you can *only* encode these streams at 1509Kb/sec (unless we are talking about DTS-HD files which is another subject altogether).
Additional channels is the so-called "ES" mode, and can be either 5.1 with matrix derived Cs, or 6.1 where the Cs is discrete. This can be at either 1509 or 754Kb/sec bitrate.
To encode at 24/96 or 6.1 requires either the DTS-PSE encoder or one of the new DTS-HD encoders.

What does it all mean for the end user? Quite simply the DTS decoders that are in the player or amplifier will *always* decode the core stream, regardless of what the encoded file has in it's extensions. If the decoder can decode the extended frequency response, or the additional channels, it will do so automatically. DTS' system ensures that the end user always gets the highest quality audio his system is capable of decoding without the need for anything to be set up.

Hope this helps.

splinter7

500 Club - QQ All-Star
...and back to the polling. I give the release a 9. A very nice subtle surround mix with the expecption of Fame which seems a bit more adventurous. The sound was crisp and clean which for some reason surprised me. I was expecting less for some reason.

My only point deduction is for the music. The album (aside from Young Americans & Fame) is new to me. By the fourth song I thought David Sandborn is just playing the same thing over and over again. The style started to grate on me.

I agree with Zabble that a "fame" is missing from Fame. Very odd.

stormchaser

600 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Hmm....I just popped this one in while I was grading a batch of exams and was pleasantly surprised. I have never heard this album in its entireity before so I had few expectations. Moreover, I've been hit and miss with Bowie over the years. But wow, this is a wonderful surround mix. There is nice use of surrounds (I particularly noticed auxiliary percussion) with Fame being more adventurous (as someone above noted). Frankly, this almost sounds like a DVD-A. I'll vote after a few more listens, but first impressions say 8-9 for me. If I vote 8, it will be because this album has a few songs that sound very much the same to me.

This one really is testimony to what DTS can do if done well.

Kazaam

701 Club - QQ All-Star
Just got this. Too soon to vote, but wanted to chime in.

Not sure if this is yet common knowledge or not, but... There is, indeed, an NTSC with All Region version of this album out there. My copy says manufactured in Argentina. Personally, I wasn't sure what I was gonna get since there appear to be a few different versions out there that have descriptions that sometimes mention PAL, or sometimes mention NTSC but with an incompatible region coding number. So, I'm happy.

Does anyone know if Canada/US will eventually get this 5.1 version?

fredblue

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
LOVE the album and the surround mix is fantastic!! :D

Disc navigation is, as Neil W says, a pain in the posterior ("it ain't easy" without the TV on..!).. but fidelity is superb for DTS (it's 96/24 on capable gear).

Its a "9" from me.

If it had been a DVD-A that auto-played I'd have given it a "10", its that good..!!!

fredblue

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Surround standout in this mix: towards the end of the title track when there's a break and Bowie yells out..
"Ain't there one damn song that can make me.. break down and cry?"
..unlike his other lead vocals, its hard panned in the rears with just enough reverb to really give it that extra bit of oomph!

Incredible mix! (y)

fredblue

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
reading thru the liner notes for the first time in a long time (probably since I bought it!?) and seeing the genius of Tony Visconti in full flight.. he recounts that he had the studio all mic'd up and ready to go when Bowie suddenly declared he wanted to record his lead vocals live with the rest of the musicians!!

..Visconti panicked! what to do in case vocal overdubs or edits were needed!? there'd be too much bleed-through from the assembled musicians and Bowie's takes would be useless for purposes of flying into other takes!! :yikes

now we get to the real juicy bit.. Visconti's solution?

Setup 2 Mic's, set within two moveable partition walls, with one mic out of phase, get Bowie to sing close-miked into one and not the other, anything else coming into the Mic's would be phase-cancelled..!! Bingo! As Tony V says himself, it worked a charm!

Though in the end Bowie's vocals were so on-point that they used at least 80% of the live or even 1st takes!! Good grief!! Now that's musical TALENT meeting technical wizardry. I'm in awe.

Wow.. just WOW! What a couple of legends. :worthy :worthy :worthy

fredblue

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
On the surround mix alone, I'd give this a TEN.

A must-have if ever there was one here at QQ :)

dr8track

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
On the surround mix alone, I'd give this a TEN.

A must-have if ever there was one here at QQ :)
Thanks for commenting on this old poll. I missed this one the first time around and with all the positive comments, I decided to seek out a copy and give it a listen. Looking forward to hearing it when it arrives.

fredblue

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Thanks for commenting on this old poll. I missed this one the first time around and with all the positive comments, I decided to seek out a copy and give it a listen. Looking forward to hearing it when it arrives.
you're welcome dr8track :)

I would never have known about this one being in surround if it hadn't been for me randomly seeing it in a record store shelf (it had already been out a year or two by then! and I'm a Bowiefan! :yikes).

look forward to hearing your thoughts and impressions of it and hope you enjoy it even a bit as much as I do! (y)

bossfan

600 Club - QQ All-Star
Yup: One of the few Bowie albums I owned as a teenager. It was great then and it's even better in surround. Album 8.5 surround 9.

himey

Finally been able to listen to Bowie and not feel sad...This mix is great and it has excellent sound quality. Wish it was lossless but it still sounds great. 9.5 for me. I would give it a perfect score if it was lossless on bluray or SACD/DVDA. Rounding up to a 10 on the poll. Love all the stuff going on in the rears and everywhere else...

MrSmithers

800 Club - QQ All-Star
Surprised I’d forgot to vote on this but just gave it another spin. It’s Fantastic! 10! Absolute belter of a mix! I love John Lennon coming in the rear right at the end of ‘Across The Universe’. It sounds like he’s just burst into the studio! The whole thing is great from start to finish. Sonics are good even though it’s lossy...

Here’s the rather eye opening Dick Cavett interview - he certainly had his Weetabix that day! 😀

EDIT - Think I had voted - on the other (probably correct) thread. I just upgraded 9 >10 because whatever version I have - it sounds great!

Last edited:

keywhiz

QQ Supporter
A “9” from me. One of my favorite Bowie albums. Great mix. I like the “subtle center” mix. Fidelity is pretty damn good, although I guess this was never an audiophile recording to begin with. And it has 5.1 bonus tracks! 1 point off for not giving us a DVD-A and for the missing “fame!” :)

Almost makes up for the unlistenable (to my ears and taste) “Ziggy Stardust”. :(

steelydave

Staff member
Since 2002/2003
This might be my favourite "lossy" surround disc in my entire collection, and I didn't pick it up until just a few years ago because, like keywhiz, I didn't like the 5.1 mix of Ziggy Stardust at all. In fact, I wouldn't count myself as a massive Bowie fan at all but thanks to the surround mix, I love this album from one end to the other, including the three bonus tracks which are anything but throwaways.

There are some mixers that just "get" surround, and based on this 5.1 mix, Tony Visconti doesn't just fit in to that category, for me he's near the top - in terms of discreet rear usage, this mix even gives a lot of the old quad mixes a run for their money. This album doesn't just make me want to hear what he'd do with some of the other Bowie albums I don't know very well, it also makes me desperate to see him revisit some of the other albums he worked on, particularly the trilogy of Thin Lizzy albums (Bad Reputation, Live and Dangerous and Black Rose: A Rock Legend) he did in the late 70s.

I've always considered Young Americans to be the grown-up older brother to The Brecker Brothers' Back to Back album (which was recorded the following year) by virtue of the shared participation of David Sanborn and Luther Vandross on both albums, much like I find Talking Heads' Remain in Light occupies a similar position in my mind relative to King Crimson's Discipline thanks to Adrian Belew's shared musical DNA in both projects.