Quantcast

David Byrne's "American Utopia" on HBO

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

humprof

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Can't find anything about a US release. Will there be one???
The one currently for sale at Amazon looks like the UK version--although the seller doesn't include a warning about regional playback restrictions. Dogwoof's site says all their releases are Region 2/B.

I would guess it won't have a proper US release until HBO's "exclusive" is over. Three months? Six months? (Not sure if this site is legit....)

Last edited:

Titch

Good review, but I disagree with the above part.

I saw the show at the Hudson theater on Broadway where this was filmed, up in "cheap seats" of the third balcony, which is so high it's nearly an overhead. I remember before the show being somewhat disappointed our vantage was such a high view, over the performer's gaze, but then during the show I realized this was actually the best place to see the choreography, as you mentioned.

I think Lee did a great job showing all angles of the Broadway version of the show -- direct gaze forward of those on floor level, our third balcony overhead view of the choreoprahy, and even some interesting on-stage cast and crew viewpoints.
I've never had front row seats at a concert before. It was absolutely incredible.
IMG_6844.jpg
IMG_0009.JPG

humprof

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Two bits of news from today's Nonesuch Records newsletter: American Utopia has now moved to Amazon Prime, Apple TV, and other platforms. Also: on his podcast The Hang, soul/jazz singer Gregory Porter, whose latest album All Rise is available in a meh Atmos mix on Tidal, talks to Byrne: