David Byrne's "American Utopia" on HBO

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humprof

Junior Senior
QQ Supporter
This probably isn't quite the right forum, but in its weekly newsletter today, Nonesuch Records linked to a teaser for the Spike Lee-directed film of a performance of David Byrne's Broadway show American Utopia, debuting on HBO on October 17th.

HBO says the soundtrack will be 5.1, and I'm hoping that, because this isn't exactly a "concert" film (i.e., I'm pretty sure it was not filmed in front of a live audience), we'll get more than just ambient rears. If you haven't heard the live or studio versions of the album or seen bits of the show as performed on late-night TV, then you're in for a treat--especially if you haven't been following Byrne for a while. This is brilliant stuff, one of the highlights of his career. It includes imaginative new treatments of a number of classic Talking Heads songs.

https://www.nonesuch.com/journal/wa...7-2020-08-24?eml=2020August28/5085359/6011771
https://www.hbo.com/american-utopia

Last edited:
Watching/listening now. Not a hugely active mix; it's pretty center-channel-centric. Rears have more than just hall reverb and applause, though: there also seem to be backing vocals and percussion doubled (at a lower volume) from the fronts, plus the occasional synth line or guitar lick. Hopefully we at least get a Blu-Ray with hi-res audio eventually.

Watching/listening now. Not a hugely active mix; it's pretty center-channel-centric. Rears have more than just hall reverb and applause, though: there also seem to be backing vocals and percussion doubled (at a lower volume) from the fronts, plus the occasional synth line or guitar lick. Hopefully we at least get a Blu-Ray with hi-res audio eventually.

wha??? is this out today on HBO??

I saw the show live on Broadway on Jan 1 (my first and only Broadway experience), and it was a great start to what unfortunately has turned out to be a horrible year. We had second row seats on the third balcony, actually a really nice vantage point to see the staging. Sound in the Hudson was very good.

The HBO show is equally nice - active camera angles, some very up close and personal, but always cutting to a wide shot for perspective. Thankfully, very limited audience close-ups which often ruin a video concert presentation, in my opinion. Dolby Digital sound mix is good, but low - I had to turn my amp up higher than I've ever had to to get an impactful presentation. As mentioned, not very active with surround or even stereo panning. The bass didn't punch enough tough, I remember more deep bass notes and percussion live than what I heard on HBO. But still, overall no complaints on the sound quality.

And the show itself is really amazing - a creative, life-affirming look at who we are and where we need to be. A must watch for anyone who has had even a little appreciation of David Byrne, or staged "music video" style performances.

Just finished watching; and glad to have gotten to experience it (TV.)
Didn't expect to hear so many Talking Heads songs. šŸ˜„
Wonderful band and dancers, including David Byrne, who is getting up in age (he's obviously in great shape!)
The sound was very good and front centric with minimal rears, but I didn't feel I was shorted by the audio experience.
Catch it if you can.

Coming on blu-ray in January (at least in the UK), no specs yet:

1606816032418.png

Watched it the other night. Overall very enjoyable and I found the surround mix well done. Instruments could be heard clearly. Perhaps a little more bass but really no complaints.

The 5.1 mix is okay, but the performance is amazing, great musicianship and choreography. It's up there with Stop Making Sense imo. Byrne is in fine voice (possibly using autotune?)

Didn't know much about David Byrne's catalog but was familiar with some Talking Head music. This concert is unique and made me discover some good music. I'm going to keep this on my personal recorder.

If Stop Making Sense is the greatest concert film ever made, then David Byrne's American Utopia isn't all that far behind. The recently released Region B-locked UK release is excellent - both the audio and visual quality are first rate. What's unusual - and very welcome - is that this disc is subtitled, songs included. Dogwoof doesn't always provide subtitling. I've been a Talking Heads fan for decades, but I'll admit, I haven't caught the lyrics to all songs before. The sound isn't as punchy as it is on the Stop Making Sense blu ray, but the 5.1 mix opens up the soundstage far better than the CD soundtrack does.

I was fortunate enough to catch this tour live, in Amsterdam, November 2018. It was the best concert I have ever seen and the filmed Broadway version is quite faithful to that experience, although David Byrne has introductions to most of his songs on the Broadway production, while there was little banter in between songs during the live performance I attended.

The only minor quibble I have about this film experience, is that Spike Lee chose to film from all angles, including overhead shots. While this displays the brilliant choreography of the production, it is completely different to the "live experience", because then you only ever see the performers from in front. I disliked not being able to keep focussed on whatever I found most appealing visually, which I did during the live concert, instead having to constantly watch cuts to what Spike Lee found most interesting. There was really so much going on all the time on the stage, that I feel Spike Lee could have used more wide shots, instead of close-ups - something that Jonathan Demme was careful to do during Stop Making Sense.

The only minor quibble I have about this film experience, is that Spike Lee chose to film from all angles, including overhead shots. While this displays the brilliant choreography of the production, it is completely different to the "live experience", because then you only ever see the performers from in front.

Good review, but I disagree with the above part.

I saw the show at the Hudson theater on Broadway where this was filmed, up in "cheap seats" of the third balcony, which is so high it's nearly an overhead. I remember before the show being somewhat disappointed our vantage was such a high view, over the performer's gaze, but then during the show I realized this was actually the best place to see the choreography, as you mentioned.

I think Lee did a great job showing all angles of the Broadway version of the show -- direct gaze forward of those on floor level, our third balcony overhead view of the choreoprahy, and even some interesting on-stage cast and crew viewpoints.

Back