David Byrne's "American Utopia" on HBO

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't find anything about a US release. Will there be one???

The one currently for sale at Amazon looks like the UK version--although the seller doesn't include a warning about regional playback restrictions. Dogwoof's site says all their releases are Region 2/B.

I would guess it won't have a proper US release until HBO's "exclusive" is over. Three months? Six months? (Not sure if this site is legit....)

Last edited:
Good review, but I disagree with the above part.

I saw the show at the Hudson theater on Broadway where this was filmed, up in "cheap seats" of the third balcony, which is so high it's nearly an overhead. I remember before the show being somewhat disappointed our vantage was such a high view, over the performer's gaze, but then during the show I realized this was actually the best place to see the choreography, as you mentioned.

I think Lee did a great job showing all angles of the Broadway version of the show -- direct gaze forward of those on floor level, our third balcony overhead view of the choreoprahy, and even some interesting on-stage cast and crew viewpoints.
I've never had front row seats at a concert before. It was absolutely incredible.
IMG_6844.jpg
IMG_0009.JPG

The 5.1 mix is okay, but the performance is amazing, great musicianship and choreography. It's up there with Stop Making Sense imo. Byrne is in fine voice (possibly using autotune?)

I watched this on AppleTV+ last night. Superb performance, and a great mix.

I wondered about autotune, and concluded that David’s voice has not been tuned - but perhaps the backing vocals have? Hard to tell.

Back